Zimwell MS6X8WB-2

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wb8ucd

Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
Rosewood, Oh.
I have a Zimwell MS6X8WB-2 switch the DTV installer gave me when I had the HD receiver installed. I told him I will get another receiver some day so he gave me this switcyh, but he gave me no directions on how to hook-up the Zimwell. He just "capped" the two flexports and outputs 6,7 & 8 and told me not to use those. Well now I have my second HD DVR receiver so I tried to connect it. I connected the two cables from the dish into the switch and the outputs to the receiver. Now some channels don't come in, I get the "searching for satellite xx", or some come in but are in SD, and some do come in HD. I tried every combination of the 2 satellite wires into the Zinwell inputs (13V & 18V, no 22kHz and 22kHz) with the same result. Reading on the internet I keep reading about 4 wires coming in from the dish, but I have two. Please tell me what I am doing wrong, and perhaps give me an explanation on what is actually happening to allow HD reception. Back a few years ago when you pointed to one antenna and there were no HD or local channels, I understood how the system worked. But I am bit behind now. Thanks...

What kind of dish do you have? It sounds like you have an 18" dish. Those only have one or two outputs and will not work properly with a 6x8 switch. That switch is made more for a dish that has an lnb with four outputs, like the kind you will find on a phase 3, slimline3 or slimline5. All four of the outputs from the lnb need to be connected to the switch.

Last edited:
Actually the 18in dish works fine with that multiswitch, but that's not the issue. . The problem that the OP is seeing is that he must have an HD dish (otherwise he couldn't get HD with his existing receiver) but needs to run FOUR cables from his HD dish to the inputs of the multiswitch, not two. He only has two wires right now but needs to run two more.

yeah all 4 cables need to be run from the LNB to the switch
2 cables to the DVR's on the outputs

do NOT use the "flex" port...those are for 72 (not used anymore) or 95W (international dish)

I have a Zimwell MS6X8WB-2 switch the DTV installer gave me when I had the HD receiver installed. I told him I will get another receiver some day so he gave me this switcyh, but he gave me no directions on how to hook-up the Zimwell. He just "capped" the two flexports and outputs 6,7 & 8 and told me not to use those. Well now I have my second HD DVR receiver so I tried to connect it. I connected the two cables from the dish into the switch and the outputs to the receiver. Now some channels don't come in, I get the "searching for satellite xx", or some come in but are in SD, and some do come in HD. I tried every combination of the 2 satellite wires into the Zinwell inputs (13V & 18V, no 22kHz and 22kHz) with the same result. Reading on the internet I keep reading about 4 wires coming in from the dish, but I have two. Please tell me what I am doing wrong, and perhaps give me an explanation on what is actually happening to allow HD reception. Back a few years ago when you pointed to one antenna and there were no HD or local channels, I understood how the system worked. But I am bit behind now. Thanks...
All you need to do is connect the 2 unused ports on the built in multi switch to the second HD DVR with only 2 receivers you don't need the 6x8 switch.

What kind of dish do you have? It sounds like you have an 18" dish. Those only have one or two outputs and will not work properly with a 6x8 switch. That switch is made more for a dish that has an lnb with four outputs, like the kind you will find on a phase 3, slimline3 or slimline5. All four of the outputs from the lnb need to be connected to the switch.

The dish has written on it "slimline" and has 3 LNB units visiable. There are only two RG-6 cables exiting the dish assembly, which connects to the receiver thru a BBC on each input. Is there a "switch" of some sort inside the dish assembly? I have not yet removed the LNB asembly to see if there are provisions for a 4-wire connection. Is there likly to be provisions for a two wire and a 4-wire system on this LNB assembly? Also do you still need the BBC converters when the Zimwell switch is used? And when properly installed, can this switch be used to feed one HD DVR receiver and 3 non-HD receivers? Thanks Dave

There is an internal switch but if you need more than 4 outputs then the switch is required
The LNB will support 4 cables in it......there are tow models. The non SWM setup as you have with 4 outputs and a SWM setup with only one output

with your setup (HD DVR & 3 receivers) you will need the switch. Run 4 lines to the switch and hook up the receivers to the outputs. 2 for the DVR and one for the receiver. HD receivers (except the H23/HR23) require the BBC on each input

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)