2 year commitment

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tranceFusion

Original poster
Apr 28, 2009
Frederick, MD
I am confused. I signed up for Directv and nowhere during the signup process did it seem to indicate that there was a 2 year commitment. It also seemed that my price wasn't locked in for those 2 years.

When I got my confirmation email, it had down at the bottom that I was committing to two years of service. I quickly called and cancelled my installation. Unfortunately I am assuming they already did their hard credit check!

I have seen numerous ads and none of them have any fine print about a 2 year commitment. I couldn't find anything about the commitment on their site except buried down in their equipment lease agreement (which according to the CSR, leasing the equipment is required).

In contrast, Dish Network's website makes it quite clear in large bold letters what you are committing to.

So I am confused - is there any way around the commitment? Are they able to just jack the price up as high as they want after your first year deal is over, and you are stuck in the commitment for another year? Why aren't they required to put the commitment in their fine print during the signup process?

I really wanted their service but it seems like they are trying to pull one over on me!

I am confused. I signed up for Directv and nowhere during the signup process did it seem to indicate that there was a 2 year commitment. It also seemed that my price wasn't locked in for those 2 years.

When I got my confirmation email, it had down at the bottom that I was committing to two years of service. I quickly called and cancelled my installation. Unfortunately I am assuming they already did their hard credit check!

I have seen numerous ads and none of them have any fine print about a 2 year commitment. I couldn't find anything about the commitment on their site except buried down in their equipment lease agreement (which according to the CSR, leasing the equipment is required).

In contrast, Dish Network's website makes it quite clear in large bold letters what you are committing to.

So I am confused - is there any way around the commitment? Are they able to just jack the price up as high as they want after your first year deal is over, and you are stuck in the commitment for another year? Why aren't they required to put the commitment in their fine print during the signup process?

I really wanted their service but it seems like they are trying to pull one over on me!

They have had a 12-24 month commitment since the very beginning ... nothing new here.

There seems to be a sentiment in this forum that it's "buyer beware," which I totally disagree with. I believe that an ethical business has the responsibility of telling you in writing of any contract commitments. I also believe that DirecTV is not an unethical company but that it doesn't train its staff and contract employees to be as aboveboard as they should.

I was introduced to this when I realized this week that my contract had been extended because I upgraded to HD last September!

Does anyone know whether DISH has the same policy that if you change anything they extend your period of serfdom?

And wouldn't it be a good idea to have a no-contract month-to-month plan that would have significantly higher rates than the contract package plans but absolutely no strings?

Cable would be your best choice if you don't want a commitment.

I have been a dish customer for 5 years and am looking to switch to directv ASAP. Every time I have switched receivers I have ended up with a new contract. I thought it was common practice in the satellite industry. Not that I agree with it though.

There seems to be a sentiment in this forum that it's "buyer beware," which I totally disagree with. I believe that an ethical business has the responsibility of telling you in writing of any contract commitments. I also believe that DirecTV is not an unethical company but that it doesn't train its staff and contract employees to be as aboveboard as they should.

I was introduced to this when I realized this week that my contract had been extended because I upgraded to HD last September!

Does anyone know whether DISH has the same policy that if you change anything they extend your period of serfdom?

And wouldn't it be a good idea to have a no-contract month-to-month plan that would have significantly higher rates than the contract package plans but absolutely no strings?

I can't speak for everyone, but when I signed up, they told me that I was committing to a 24 month agreement over the phone. In all my dealing with them, they have told me of any changes to my account.

As a matter of fact, I have had to replace two receivers that went bad. Neither extended my commitment. The fact is that D* is investing a lot of money when they sign up a new account. They want to make sure they can recoup some of the money back. The receivers aren't cheap. If you upgrade your equipment, the same applies. Now I think a long term customer ought to get a break every now and then, but D* is certainly within their rights to do so.

I can't speak for everyone, but when I signed up, they told me that I was committing to a 24 month agreement over the phone. In all my dealing with them, they have told me of any changes to my account.

In my past dealing with Directv, each time I did a equipment upgrade over the phone I was reminded of the new commitment I was going into

IF you look at ANY rec BOX at a local BB or any other place that they are sold/leased you will see a sticker on the box that says that ... also on the package that the Access Card comes in as well.

When I upgraded from my owned RCA receiver to the one I have now (lease), the CSR told me over the phone I was committing to a certain amount of time. It was for less the 24 months (I forgot how long), though.

They have had a 12-24 month commitment since the very beginning ... nothing new here.

I have never used a satellite service. I didn't sign up over the phone. I didn't look at a receiver in best buy. I received in ad quoting a price in the mail (with no mention of commitment) went to the website, which I read for several hours over a few days, and signed up.

Nowhere during that process was I told of a 2 year commitment. In fact, I think the website is misleading in that it hints at 1 year commitment ("must maintain programming"). According to the CSR, this is only for the package you select, not the service commitment (which is 2 years):

Price reflects a $16 bill credit per month for 12 months after online or mail-in rebate, plus an additional $5 bill credit per month for 12 months when you register account on our website. New customers only. (Lease required. Must maintain programming, DVR Service and/or HD Access.)

How can they sign you up for a commitment, without telling you, without telling you how much you are committing to? The CSR said that my prices weren't locked in for the 2nd year and regardless of what they raised them to, I would still be locked into paying them!

Cable would be your best choice if you don't want a commitment.

I just cancelled Comcast cable service about 2 months ago after being with them for about 4 years. I'm almost certain that the service involved a 2 year commitment. Of course, it was a bundle deal with first year savings. Don't know if they offer a no commitment deal with a "no savings" signup.

I believe that all these commitments are to amortize the equipment and the first hookup.

If someone signs up and then moves, you can take the service with you. And you can "buy" your way out of a commitment if you choose to go that route.

Don't understand the logic of the OP in stating that he is being "ripped" off by a service commitment? This is a "pay to play" deal and if you don't want it, don't sign up. This is the same logic that made Costco change their policy on returns from unlimited to 90 days on electronic items like flat screen TVs. People were lugging them back after a year, demanding a refund and then buying a cheaper one as the prices came down. A few even bought a big flat screen for their Super Bowl Party and then took it back for a refund.

Isn't that what most other companys do that provide television service?

DirecTV, Dish, Cable, Fios?

You sign a commitment agreement, usually for 2 years. You "lease" the equipment, as in you give it back when you're done using it. On the satellite end, I believe they are leasing equipment to help fight piracy.

This issue really isn't whether there is a 24 mo. commitment or not. Or whether it is proper to ask for a commitment. The issue is what you have to go through to get disclosure of commitment you are being signed up for so you can consider it in your decision.

I called recently to get my DVR receiver replaced after it died. I've been with Directv for 7 years. They actually told me I'd need to sign up for another 24 months to get a new receiver for free. Fair enough; pay to play. I chose not to do this because I specifically don't want a new 2 year commitment as I'm considering my options right now.

Instead, I found a replacement DVR on ebay for $30 (actually 1 DVR, 2 non-DVR's, and a 3 LNB dish package). When I went to initialize my card to the new receiver, I was not told anything about a new commitment. In fact, my card was also went bad and they are sending me out a new one. Again, no mention of a new commitment necessary. So we will see if they signed me up for a new commitment without telling me, even as I was very explicit about wanting to avoid one.

In my past dealing with Directv, each time I did a equipment upgrade over the phone I was reminded of the new commitment I was going into

They even went as far to tell me that if you upgrade a receiver within 90 days of starting your service w DTV they have to charge a $50 one time fee, so wait after 90 days and you wont have to pay the one time fee.

The CSR didnt have to tell me that but did and i respectful of that.

Saturday I had my equipment changed out due to D* migrating my locals off of 72.5. The installer tried to get me to signa 24 month agreement and I told him that due to the migration I do not have to extend my agreement. After some back and forth I called D* and they told me I do not have to sign and it will not extend my agreement. I basically upgraded all my receivers to HD receivers and come Nov. I am under no commitment. I do not plan on going anywhere, but it will be nice not to be under a commitment. So D* does not force you into anything. If you know how it works. I also upgraded my LNB to the SWM.

On Directv's website, I went to "Get Directv Today." Packages and specials are shown. The legal stuff is at the bottom of the page and says that a lease is required. Clicking "Additional Offer Details" pops up the full deal.

The first words on the System Lease paragraph are: "SYSTEM LEASE: Purchase of 24 consecutive months of any DIRECTV base programming package ($29.99/mo. or above) or qualifying international services bundle required."

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)