2011 NCAA Hockey Tournament

yep its gonna be a great Frozen Four

UMD (home team) plays Notre Dame at 4:00 CDT
UND (home team) plays Michigan at 7:30 CDT

UMD the 1st team to punch their ticket :)

5-3

Congratulations Iceberg! How exciting!

What did you think of the open ice hit by O'Neill that cost Yale their best player and changed the game from 3-1 to a 5-1 blowout? Was a five minute major and a game misconduct a fair call? Melrose didn't think so, I'm on the fence about it.

Sandra

I saw the hit and thought the official made the right call...it was just a little too blatant and unnecessary in my opinion.

While UMD and ND are both hoping for their 1st NCAA Championship, North Dakota will be playing for their 8th and Michigan for their record setting 10th with the Wolverines making a record 24th appearance in the Frozen Four. The winner of North Dakota vs Michigan wins this championship...and my money is on Red Berenson and Michigan. We shall see. :)

Go Michigan!!!

What did you think of the open ice hit by O'Neill that cost Yale their best player and changed the game from 3-1 to a 5-1 blowout? Was a five minute major and a game misconduct a fair call? Melrose didn't think so, I'm on the fence about it.

It was the right call. As Riffjim said it was too blatant. But the refs thought about it before issuing the 5 minute. I've seen too many times in the WCHA where the refs will say 5 min right away and it shouldnt have been.

Sorry Jim
This is UMD's destiny....they should have won it 7 years ago. This is unfinished business :)
Oh to have a couple hundred bucks laying around to go :(

On a side note...the ESPN guys are scrambling now. They are going to have to find out about the teams and can't use their "East Coast Bias" during the semi-finals :)

It was the right call. As Riffjim said it was too blatant. But the refs thought about it before issuing the 5 minute. I've seen too many times in the WCHA where the refs will say 5 min right away and it shouldnt have been.

I don't know...what exactly was blatant? The hit? This is hockey...Hits are SUPPOSED to be blatant!

The question is whether it was a 'head shot' or not.

Sandra

I just watched the replay from the game and it was a headshot. Melrose keeps saying he hit him in the chest but the UMD player had his head down, didnt have the puck, and O'Neill hit him above the chest and you can see the UMD players head jolt back so cant see if O'Neill's upper body hit the head.

The rules are to protect the players who dont have the puck and their head down.

I just watched the replay from the game and it was a headshot. Melrose keeps saying he hit him in the chest but the UMD player had his head down, didnt have the puck, and O'Neill hit him above the chest and you can see the UMD players head jolt back so cant see if O'Neill's upper body hit the head.

The rules are to protect the players who dont have the puck and their head down.

O'Neill hit him chest to chest (or perhaps shoulder to chest)...the reason the UMD player's head jolted back was because of the collision of the players' face masks. I could see shoulder-to-facemask being a major, but if this were the NHL and the players were not wearing facemasks their heads would probably not have hit at all...and it would have been a totally clean and blatant check.

That all said, UMD was up 3-1 at the time of the hit and there is a very good chance they would have won either way.

Last night's Notre Dame/UNH game was a snoozefest, and unfortunately because of the timing of the basketball games it was the only game I saw start to finish. It was exciting for two minutes, when UNH had pulled within one and got a power play with four minutes left, but even that was boring.

Looking forward to Thursday.

Sandra

I deleted the recording, but it sure looked like a head-shot to me. Regardless, the skater was in a defenseless position and (IMO) there was plenty of time for the Yale educated player to realize the potential for injury. If nothing else, it was certainly poor judgment. As much as I tend to side with the alleged perpetrator when it comes to NHL, my tolerance for cheap-shots is much lower when it comes to the college game. Double Standard? Perhaps...but I like to see college hockey played squeaky-clean.

Sorry Jim
This is UMD's destiny....they should have won it 7 years ago. This is unfinished business :)
Oh to have a couple hundred bucks laying around to go :(
You can't be the man until you beat the man. While UMD may get past Notre Dame, they will have to face a determined Michigan or North Dakata team in order to win the Championship. Not an easy task...but you may very well be right.

Hey, aren't you going to game(s) since they are being played in your backyard? I flew into town last year when the Finals were being played in Detroit since I have family in the area.

I deleted the recording, but it sure looked like a head-shot to me. Regardless, the skater was in a defenseless position and (IMO) there was plenty of time for the Yale educated player to realize the potential for injury. If nothing else, it was certainly poor judgment. As much as I tend to side with the alleged perpetrator when it comes to NHL, my tolerance for cheap-shots is much lower when it comes to the college game. Double Standard? Perhaps...but I like to see college hockey played squeaky-clean.

Well, shoulder-to chest is the kind of hit we need in hockey. You can debate whether O'Neill deserved a penalty, but I think it is totally unfair to use the term 'cheap-shot' in the same sentence as that hit. It was just a good, hard, hockey hit, where their heads happened to come together because they were both wearing face masks.

The skater was not in a defenseless position, the hit came from in front of him. If he doesn't want to get hit, here's an idea...keep your head up. If that UMD guy plays like that in the NHL he will be lit up every game.

Potential for injury? There is potential for injury in any hockey hit, even the cleanest hits. It's part of the sport, all players deal with it.

Sandra

You can't be the man until you beat the man. While UMD may get past Notre Dame, they will have to face a determined Michigan or North Dakata team in order to win the Championship. Not an easy task...but you may very well be right.
very few people game UMD a chance against "the #1 power play in college hockey" :rolleyes: and against the #1 team overall in the tourney ;)

Hey, aren't you going to game(s) since they are being played in your backyard? I flew into town last year when the Finals were being played in Detroit since I have family in the area.
Yeah its in St Paul (1/2 hour away or so) but I dont have the money to spend on tickets. :(

Well, shoulder-to chest is the kind of hit we need in hockey. You can debate whether O'Neill deserved a penalty, but I think it is totally unfair to use the term 'cheap-shot' in the same sentence as that hit. It was just a good, hard, hockey hit, where their heads happened to come together because they were both wearing face masks.

The skater was not in a defenseless position, the hit came from in front of him. If he doesn't want to get hit, here's an idea...keep your head up. If that UMD guy plays like that in the NHL he will be lit up every game.

Potential for injury? There is potential for injury in any hockey hit, even the cleanest hits. It's part of the sport, all players deal with it.

Sandra
There is absolutely nothing to debate. The incident happened, two veteran CCHA referees conferred prior to calling a major penalty, and the player was ejected; the referees made the correct call and I agree with their decision. We can debate the use of the term "cheap shot", but since that term is highly subjective....well, let's just say that I am willing to admit that it was an obvious major penalty and, if nothing else, O'Neill used extremely poor judgment and was "reckless" to hit Hendrickson as seen on ESPNU. Again, two veteran referrees witnessed the incident and discussed the issue prior to ejecting him from the game.

Here is the best, and most accurate, description of the incident I found posted online:

"Brian O'Neill is ejected and requires "several stitches above the eye", and UMD's Hendrickson also has a visible mark on his forehead, seen clearly in the TV shot of the UMD bench, yet head to head contact is being denied?... Come on, do you know what deductive reasoning is? Botton line on O'Neill's hit: 1. Watch his feet. This is Charging. 2. The puck is gone. This is Interference. 3. Still denying head to head contact? With that many full speed strides you are risking an Intent to Injure call. This is also a major/game ejecton. UMD played a controlled, poised game and siezed what they earned. They ARE a very capable team. Yale's season is over. Learn from it."

Regardless, UMD outplayed Yale and deserve to be playing in the Frozen Four. It should be a great Finals!!!

Speaking of the long wait for the final four...who is this going to hurt the most? North Dakota and UMD were on a roll - will this delay cause a little rust to form in their games? What about Michigan and Notre Dame who able to pull out a pair of hard-fought victories - will this delay cause them to lose that competitive fight? I don't know, but the answers will be coming soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)