2013 AL Central

Okay, so what's happened to Valverde? Did anyone pick him up yet? The problem with Valverde is his 9M salary expectation. At age 34, with his better days behind him, two pitches everyone has seen over the years, and his battles with his weight, I don't see anyone having interest. What if the Tigers were to resign him under a fat-arse/performace based contract like the one Delmon Young recently signed with the Phillies? Sign him to a 2M base contract with incentives for making weight under AMA guidelines, not blowing games, and other performance based bonuses. Regardless, I don't see him making anywhere close to 9M next season.

One thing the Tigers won't miss during 2013 is Delmon Young's plodding around in Left Field and his lackluster performances at the plate during the regular season.

One thing the Tigers will miss during 2013 is how Delmon Young turns into the hitting machine come playoff time (ALCS MVP). Overall, I kinda liked the anti-semite, hate-spewing, twinkie-eating, racist bastard.

Okay, how many games will our closers blow during 2013? Given the Tigers hitting and starting pitching, you just know we're going to have a bunch of 1-3 run leads going into the 8th inning. We shall see. At least we'll have some room for Rondon to develop.

I was sad to see Don Kelly being moved down to Toledo since I feel he is a valuable utility man to have on the bench. Yeah, he's not a great hitter but he can play every position with credibility. At least we can call him up when needed.

Laird has a surprisingly good year backing up Alex Avila. Now that he's gone I am someone concerned who will handle the backup duties since there is no way Martinez steps behind the plate in 2013.

Ryan Raburn (aka Gene Rayburn) and Dan Schlereth are gone, which is an improvement.

I see Boesch getting little playing time on this years team.

Folks under the gun: Rick Porcello and Brennan Boesch.

My opinion ...
Let Valverde go, if he doesn't get picked up, well, theres a reason for that.
Tigers do NOT pick him up ... you didn't offer a contract at the end of last year, don't now either.

Delmon Young, glad he's gone... signed with Phillies.

How many Blown Saves this year ? 5-7 maybe.

Don Kelly ... in Toledo, is only 40 minutes away from being in Detroit.

Hopefully not, but I think that the loss of Laird may be larger than many expected. You knew what to expect from Gerald day in and day out, really liked him.

Raburn .... not on our roster is a good thing, Leyland doesn't have to think about him anymore ... Cleveland gets that opportunity.

Dan Schlerath, wish you were here still, being injured most of last year didn't help you any ... on to Baltimore for him.

Biggest Improvements for 2013, Add Victor Martinez, subtract Raburn.

Boesch may be gone early or traded.

Yup Twins report in like 14 days

Twinfest this weekend :)

One cool thing is my mom was cleaning out the downstairs at her house and found some old pictures of when she went to Twins Spring Training in like 1988 when they were in Orlando at Tinker Field. She gave me those pictures

Compared to these massive stadiums that teams use for spring training its really cool (and weird) to see these small parks with not alot of "snazziness"

A few more shots

image-4216375961.jpg

Got a baseball autographed by fielder!

Last edited:
Most of them where on hand, here is kicker when you waited in line for a autograph you don't know who your going to get. You could get fielder or Ramon Santiago or a minor leaguer (nothing against ramon) so our two hour wait worked out. I got a baseball signed by fielder which I immediately got a case for :)

Most of them where on hand, here is kicker when you waited in line for a autograph you don't know who your going to get. You could get fielder or Ramon Santiago or a minor leaguer (nothing against ramon) so our two hour wait worked out. I got a baseball signed by fielder which I immediately got a case for :)

Can you read it ?

Ice,

Players for all 30 teams report to their respective spring training camps in February on the dates listed below.

2013 Cactus League Reporting Dates
Team Pitchers & Catchers First Workout Position Players First Workout Location
Angels February 11 February 12 February 14 February 15 Tempe
A's February 11 February 12 February 16 February 17 Phoenix
Brewers February 12 February 13 February 15 February 16 Maryvale
Cubs February 10 February 11 February 16 February 17 Mesa
Diamondbacks February 11 February 12 February 14 February 15 Scottsdale
Dodgers February 12 February 13 February 15 February 16 Glendale
Giants February 12 February 13 February 15 February 16 Scottsdale
Indians February 10 February 12 February 13 February 15 Goodyear
Mariners February 12 February 13 February 15 February 16 Peoria
Padres February 12 February 13 February 15 February 16 Peoria
Rangers February 12 February 13 February 15 February 16 Surprise
Reds February 12 February 15 Goodyear
Rockies February 11 February 17 Scottsdale
Royals February 11 February 12 February 14 February 15 Surprise
White Sox February 12 February 12 February 17 February 17 Glendale

2013 Grapefruit League Reporting Dates
Team Pitchers & Catchers First Workout Position Players First Workout Location
Astros February 11 February 12 February 15 February 16 Kissimmee
Blue Jays February 13 February 17 Dunedin
Braves February 11 February 12 February 14 February 15 Orlando
Cardinals February 12 February 13 February 15 February 16 Jupiter
Marlins February 12 February 15 Jupiter
Mets February 11 February 13 February 16 February 18 Port St. Lucie
Nationals February 12 February 14 February 15 February 17 Viera
Orioles February 12 February 13 February 15 February 16 Sarasota
Phillies February 12 February 13 February 15 February 16 Clearwater
Pirates February 11 February 12 February 14 February 15 Bradenton
Rays February 12 February 13 February 17 Port Charlotte
Red Sox February 10 February 12 February 13 February 15 Fort Myers
Tigers February 12 February 12 February 15 February 15 Lakeland
Twins February 12 February 13 February 15 February 16 Fort Myers
Yankees February 12 February 13 February 17 February 18 Tampa

Yep, Dombrowski would be wise to leave his options open before turning the closing job over to a 22-year old who has yet to prove himself in the bigs. While we're all hopeful, you never know until you know. He may fold like a house of cards in a wind tunnel when the pressure is on.

Looks like the Tigers might not be HANDING the closer job over just yet.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...eyland-Dombrowski-not-anointing-Rondon-closer

Personally, I think they'd like to still get Johnson from Baltimore while working Rondon in thru the year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)