2014 AL Central

Read today max rejected tigers offer. I guess because I am a bit older doesn't really faze me with these big contracts, if they make a deal great, if not oh well. Life goes us for us fans

Read today max rejected tigers offer. I guess because I am a bit older doesn't really faze me with these big contracts, if they make a deal great, if not oh well. Life goes us for us fans

I've read conflicting reports, one saying that Scherzer rejected it, another that the Tigers Rejected it ...

Either way, he didn't sign today, he's still signed thru the end of the year I believe ...
Report said that Boris rejected it .

It's been a offer and counter offer setting so far.

Max said, he wants to stay in Detroit and having signed or not isn't important to him, saying he will pitch the same regardless.

The story I've been hearing is that he would have rejected any offer. He said he wanted a deal done before spring training and if that didn't happen he wasn't going to talk about contracts until after the season.

The story I've been hearing is that he would have rejected any offer. He said he wanted a deal done before spring training and if that didn't happen he wasn't going to talk about contracts until after the season.

Yes, but thats not typical of how most negotiations go, they usually say before the season starts, not before ST starts.

I think I heard he turned down like 24M, hes NUTS to turn that down and the Tigers are Nuts to offer him that ...

My point of view ... Verlander has a long track record of winning consistently, last year we expect was an aberration, Scherzer has had 1 very good season and trying to cash in on it, which is fine, but I wouldn't expect the same money as someone that has done it consistently.

If Max is smart, and he goes thru this year and pitches similar to last, THEN he will probably get a contract like JV's.
Sorry Max but ya gotta do it more than once in my book for that kind of money.

The reason you were foolish to turn the offer down is, what happened if you happen to get injured , say TJ type and are done for a year or two, now you haven't signed that big contract and won't be getting offer it anytime soon.

Last edited:
Yes, but thats not typical of how most negotiations go, they usually say before the season starts, not before ST starts.

I think I heard he turned down like 24M, hes NUTS to turn that down and the Tigers are Nuts to offer him that ...

My point of view ... Verlander has a long track record of winning consistently, last year we expect was an aberration, Scherzer has had 1 very good season and trying to cash in on it, which is fine, but I wouldn't expect the same money as someone that has done it consistently.

If Max is smart, and he goes thru this year and pitches similar to last, THEN he will probably get a contract like JV's.
Sorry Max but ya gotta do it more than once in my book for that kind of money.

The reason you were foolish to turn the offer down is, what happened if you happen to get injured , say TJ type and are done for a year or two, now you haven't signed that big contract and won't be getting offer it anytime soon.

The injury risk is a real concern with turning down an offer like that. Still, the price will almost always be higher once a player is on the open market versus just signing an extension. I would have liked to see Max signed before the open market bidding war started but if the offer really was at $24 million it sounds like they were already at those open market type prices.

Him turning down an extension offer after his best season is a huge risk/reward scenario for him. Repeat last year's success and teams will be competing to back the Brink's truck up to his front door. Have a bit of regression and say goodbye to millions that he could have gotten coming off that Cy Young year. Best case scenario for the fans, he has another great year and we are still able to keep him. Letting go of Fielder freed up a little money but the big contracts are still starting to add up.

I think Max is in the prime of his career and will have 3-4 years of prime pitching ahead of him. Is he worth Verlander money? I don't think so, but he should be paid handsomely. Scherzer is running a big risk of not making the big bucks should he have a less-than-stellar year. If I were him, I would sign with the Tigers where he is loved and feels at home. Honestly, with so many fans suffering financially and having Obamacare shoved up their arses, isn't 24M per year enough? Come on Max!

Some around here are calling this moves of not mike illitch but his kids who are taking more of a role with the team. As I mentioned earlier If he is here fine, if not fine as well. I think he won't be back myself especially with possible upcoming deals for Cabrerra but who is to say that will be a slam dunk deal

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I see a 16-12 type season from Max, just a feeling I have

I sure hope he's better than that. I'd much rather see a repeat of last season even if that means we can't sign him. Let's get that World Series now and worry about contracts later.

Well the Steve lombardozi era was not long, traded for 37 year old SS, well I guess we need short stops, we shall see

Verlander sharp in tuneup, Tigers edge Phils 1-0

CLEARWATER, Fla. -- Justin Verlander pitched one-hit ball for 6 1/3 innings in his tuneup for opening day, and the Detroit Tigers edged Cliff Lee and the Philadelphia Phillies 1-0 Wednesday.

Verlander has been dominant this spring, not allowing a single run in 20 innings. He struck out seven and walked one in his latest outing against the Phillies.

Verlander is set to start Monday at home against Kansas City.

Lee gave up one run and six hits in five innings, striking out seven and walking one.

Ian Kinsler tripled in the first and scored on Miguel Cabrera's groundout.

Torii Hunter doubled and singled for the Tigers.

Verlander looks like he's rounding into form at the right time.

Verlander sharp in tuneup, Tigers edge Phils 1-0

If I recall, he also has 1-hit, 5-inning, outing against the Nationals a week ago. He looks ready to have another 20-win season. We shall see.

Before you get all giddy .... remember it's only Spring Training ... seeing I don't follow the Phils at all, I don't know how many regulars played, but I do know Cliff Lee pitched as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)