2014 AL Central

Tigers Win tonight behind stellar pitching from Verlander, going 8 innings giving up 2 runs with only 101 pitches, Nathan comes in and gets the save (without allowing a run).

Tigers recent trades/acquisitions are a win-at-all-costs now move IMO. My take:

- The loss of two promising young starting pitchers may come back to haunt the team, but there are so many hot prospects with so few becoming rock-solid, reliable, big league pitchers. If the the Tigers win the World Series then this trade will be forgotten...even if one or both become stars.

- The loss of Drew Smyly is negligible IMO. Sure, he had his moments but, even if all goes well, I think his potential is to be a mediocre big league pitcher (which isn't bad) so the loss shouldn't be too great.

- The loss of Jackson...however, is huge! Austin is a star in Center Field and, at age 27, he is really starting to hone his skills at the plate so I expect him to average .280 or better over the next 5-6 (his baseball prime) and with speed on the bases too. We're going to miss AJ in the future.

With the recent acquisitions, the pitching is pretty solid...the offense is solid (although we could sure use Peralta's bat)...defense and baserunning are better than average. Tigers must win the World Series this year and the season will be an epic failure IMO.

Tigers recent trades/acquisitions are a win-at-all-costs now move IMO. My take:

- The loss of two promising young starting pitchers may come back to haunt the team, but there are so many hot prospects with so few becoming rock-solid, reliable, big league pitchers. If the the Tigers win the World Series then this trade will be forgotten...even if one or both become stars.

- The loss of Drew Smyly is negligible IMO. Sure, he had his moments but, even if all goes well, I think his potential is to be a mediocre big league pitcher (which isn't bad) so the loss shouldn't be too great.

- The loss of Jackson...however, is huge! Austin is a star in Center Field and, at age 27, he is really starting to hone his skills at the plate so I expect him to average .280 or better over the next 5-6 (his baseball prime) and with speed on the bases too. We're going to miss AJ in the future.

With the recent acquisitions, the pitching is pretty solid...the offense is solid (although we could sure use Peralta's bat)...defense and baserunning are better than average. Tigers must win the World Series this year and the season will be an epic failure IMO.
I think Smyly and Jackson will both be missed ...
As I may have mentioned earlier, Smyly would have went to the pen to be a Super Pen pitcher, he was GREAT last year in the pen and probably would have been again this year, seeing you never need 5 starters in the playoffs.
As for Jackson, I always liked him, his D was stellar, even thou those in the Detroit fan base think he was underachiving and on the down side as far as D goes, I didn't ... offensively, hes way too streaky, I'm not glad he's gone , but I can accept it ... particularly if this Carerra kid actually plays up here as well as they are expecting.

Provided the Tigers go on to win the division, your gonna have :
Scherzer
Price
Sanchez
Verlander
Porcello

You only use 3/4 Starters in the playoffs ... who is removed and sent to the pen ?

Porcello ? He's having a Great year.
Verlander ? The opposition will be Thrilled to see that.

Tigers Sweep the Rockies ( good teams should beat the teams that are not as good as them .... and they finally did).

Now on to NY and Tampa this week, David Price debuts for the Tigers Tuesday night in NY !

Twins exploded yesterday. They are in last & it was just the White Sox, but it's still good to see.

Tonight, the Tigers new Prized possession took the mound, David Price ....
He went 8.2 in a 3-3 tie and 112 pitches and Asmus took him out for Chamberlin ...
Not sure WHY he couldn't let him pitch to the last batter ( at least for 9 innings) but Chamberlin got the job done.

Still tied in the bottom of 10th.

He looked like he might have been getting tired in the 9th. He was leaving his pitches up and outside to the righty batters. Still he had a very solid outing minus 2 mistakes that turned into home runs. He probably could have finished off the 9th if he needed to.

Nice come-from-behind win by the Tigers last night, but the team needs to start hitting. Unfortunately, Miggy has been on a cold-streak and when Miggy doesn't hit the team struggles. Tigers play this afternoon at 1:00 PM.

Max pitched a great game this afternoon...and Nathan is trying his best to blow it in the 9th.
He did ....

As much as I like Joe Nathan, we gotta get Soria in there in the 9th, sit Joe down for a few weeks.

Losing too many games, it's one thing when your up by 10 games.

He did ....

As much as I like Joe Nathan, we gotta get Soria in there in the 9th, sit Joe down for a few weeks.

Losing too many games, it's one thing when your up by 10 games.

First, we gotta win the AL Central...then, we gotta sit Nathan in the post-season. With our less-than-stellar bullpen, we should have a 3-man starting rotation and place 2 starting pitched in bullpen.

More bad news for the Tigers.
A. Sanchez goes to the 15 day disable list as does our new bullpen help Soria, on the same day.

Robbie Ray will be up on Wednesday to start in place of Sanchez.

I'm thinking that Joel Hanahnan, the reliever we picked up off the scrap heap from Oakland will be here soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)