2014 NFL off-season thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, radio city music hall has another scheduling conflict like they did this year.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
They must not want it very bad .... if they did, the NFL would make it so.
As for the scheduling conflict, if they truely wanted it, they would NOT schedule something for that date weekend, they KNOW when it's gonna be.

Because RCMH doesn't care, that's why they booked over the nfl's spot this year, and there are fewer/no available days next year, so they're leaving NY.

Because RCMH doesn't care, that's why they booked over the nfl's spot this year, and there are fewer/no available days next year, so they're leaving NY.

That was my point, if they wanted it they would have accounted for it.

Soooooooooooo many things wrong with this that even I can see it

London calling: Robert Kraft thinks NFL could land there by end of decade
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...-143209132.html;_ylt=AwrBEiSNvclThScAnWdNbK5_

Besides the long plane flights,jet lag,& what not,what stadium are they going to play in full time? Oh yes & please Roger,use your blackmail tactics on London,U.K.,telling them that they have to build a billion dollar stadium with a butt load of luxury boxes OR ELSE. They'll tell you to "sod off." You won't get Wembley Stadium on a full time basis & you lost out on Olympic Stadium,the only practical stadium left IMO is Twickenham Stadium,which is their national Rugby Union stadium. It was also built in 1909(and YOU KNOW,that's unacceptable to Roger). So go ahead Roger,work your magic.................The NHL has a better chance of having a successful hockey team in Atlanta,GA(yet again) than the NFL has of having a successful football team in the U.K.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...-143209132.html;_ylt=AwrBEiSNvclThScAnWdNbK5_

Besides the long plane flights,jet lag,& what not,what stadium are they going to play in full time? Oh yes & please Roger,use your blackmail tactics on London,U.K.,telling them that they have to build a billion dollar stadium with a butt load of luxury boxes OR ELSE. They'll tell you to "sod off." You won't get Wembley Stadium on a full time basis & you lost out on Olympic Stadium,the only practical stadium left IMO is Twickenham Stadium,which is their national Rugby Union stadium. It was also built in 1909(and YOU KNOW,that's unacceptable to Roger). So go ahead Roger,work your magic.................The NHL has a better chance of having a successful hockey team in Atlanta,GA(yet again) than the NFL has of having a successful football team in the U.K.
I shouldn't put all of the blame on Roger Goodell concerning putting a team in London,it's obvious that the NFL owners are really drinking the Kool-Aid about a team in the U.K. American football is a niche sport at best in the U.K. The NBA has a much better chance of expanding into Europe,maybe not so much the U.K.,but it is very popular in Mainland Europe. I'd put my money into a successful NBA team in Europe instead.

Is Goodell planning on having a NFL Team over there, or just make the teams in the US go over there ?
If he has a team over there, then he's really expecting competative games from a team that has to travel to various places in the states 8 times a year plus potentially playoffs.

Is Goodell planning on having a NFL Team over there, or just make the teams in the US go over there ?
If he has a team over there, then he's really expecting competative games from a team that has to travel to various places in the states 8 times a year plus potentially playoffs.
It was the New England Patriots' owner who was quoted in this article,so I imagine the owners are pushing this to generate more money. It might work once they have a jet in service that flies as fast as the Concorde used to do,or Sir Richard Branson's Virgin Group finally makes that hypersonic jet/rocket,but today,it's totally unfeasible. And like I said before,American football is a niche sport in the U.K. It's like watching the CFL here in the states until the NFL season starts,then guess what happens? Once English Premier League football(soccer) season starts,forget fans showing up to watch American football.

Feel better? Sheesh. There are 3 regular season games there this year, they're still gathering data to justify it obviously and if the logistics and demand add up I don't see the problem. Would be interested in how they address the time difference and travel demands, but certainly won't be running to the forums foaming at the mouth like your last 2 posts.

They aren't going to do it unless it makes sense.

Feel better? Sheesh. There are 3 regular season games there this year, they're still gathering data to justify it obviously and if the logistics and demand add up I don't see the problem. Would be interested in how they address the time difference and travel demands, but certainly won't be running to the forums foaming at the mouth like your last 2 posts.

They aren't going to do it unless it makes sense.

I'm just saying that it is a VERY BIG gamble. American football is as popular in the U.K. as the CFL is in the U.S.,until the NFL season starts,or ice hockey is in Atlanta. Where will an NFL team play full time? I offered Twickenham Stadium as a possibility because both Wembley & Olympic Stadiums will be tied up with EPL soccer matches. Also,building a new stadium in London for a niche sport like American football makes about as much sense as a proposed plan I heard to make a $700 million dollar CRICKET stadium in Toronto Canada(whose impression of Cricket pretty much mirrors ours). The NFL owners AND Roger Goodell are drinking Kool-Aid if they think an NFL team will fly in London. They have a better shot in Mexico City.

I get it, you have some kind of anti-Goodell OCD that causes you to craft all these hypotheticals and dive down rabbit holes even though you know they don't make any sense... which is why you just need to wait for them to justify a franchise there rather than making up a bunch of random stuff that makes little sense.

They are still collecting data, if it works they'll move forward probably with more regular season games and then eventually a franchise - like this season's move to 3 games).

Also, the owners don't need kool-aid, they are the NFL. You should reconsider that as your goto abstract jab at them.

Twickenham Stadium is an outdoor stadium that seats 82,000 people. It is the second largest stadium in the U.K. It is used solely for Rugby Union matches & the occasional concert. IF the NFL can stomach the fact that it was originally built in,I believe,1909,then it would be the perfect place for a permanent NFL team. The NFL could have worked out a deal to use Olympic Stadium when it didn't have an occupant,but now it has a full time EPL team modifying it to their specifics. I strongly believe that the NFL will never get Wembley Stadium on a full time basis & they dropped the ball on getting the Olympic Stadium.

I think you're grossly exaggerating the effort to start setting up a franchise, they aren't going to build a stadium by the end of the decade even if they started today. They need a venue for 8 sundays and periodically prior to that for walkthroughs, and a practice facility (which doesn't have to be the primary place they play).

You pretend to lay out every option as if you're working on the project, when obviously you don't (why wouldn't something like this happen? http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2013/10/28/Facilities/Tottenham.aspx) and the NFL isn't going to go launch a franchise willy nilly in a UK high school field.

They'll figure it out, or they won't go. Period. Going down all of the rabbit holes about how impossible it is only has so much merit - drawing other conclusions from those assumptions has absolutely none though.

Always entertaining when one of you guys finds a month old article and then uses it to go nuts over Goodell, slow news time for the NFL, but the agenda posters have to get their shots in somehow I guess.

I don't know if a team in London or anywhere else in Europe would work. But, the NFL games in Wembley get about 85k in attendance. There's no way anywhere in the U.S. that a CFL could even draw a quarter of that.

I think it could work but I would hope it would be an existing team(Jacksonville) I don't want to see a 33rd or 34th team.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I think you're grossly exaggerating the effort to start setting up a franchise, they aren't going to build a stadium by the end of the decade even if they started today. They need a venue for 8 sundays and periodically prior to that for walkthroughs, and a practice facility (which doesn't have to be the primary place they play).

You pretend to lay out every option as if you're working on the project, when obviously you don't (why wouldn't something like this happen? http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2013/10/28/Facilities/Tottenham.aspx) and the NFL isn't going to go launch a franchise willy nilly in a UK high school field.

They'll figure it out, or they won't go. Period. Going down all of the rabbit holes about how impossible it is only has so much merit - drawing other conclusions from those assumptions has absolutely none though.

Always entertaining when one of you guys finds a month old article and then uses it to go nuts over Goodell, slow news time for the NFL, but the agenda posters have to get their shots in somehow I guess.
Let's see,Kraft predicted by the end of the decade the NFL would have a team in London. Of course that's just his opinion. My question,with a lot of sarcasm,I admit,was where would they play on a full time basis. If Tottenham builds a new stadium like the article suggests,fine. Too bad they retired the Concorde jet,or that Sir Branson' s dream of a hypersonic jet is still that,just a dream,because either would cut down on flight time to & from the U.S. & the U.K. As far as jet lag goes,1pm games on the East Coast of the U.S. is 6pm in the U.K.,so keep the games at 6pm U.K. time. If you can get the proposed London team to get used to playing at the hours of 6pm & 9pm(for west coast games) U.K. time,jet lag should not be a problem,just the flight time.

its a logistical nightmare for west coast teams and the London teams playing on the US west coast. ANYONE who does not see this a JUST a money grab by the owners is naive. The "expansion" of the sport is not needed in Europe because it will NEVER unseat THEIR football/soccer. It's a niche sport to Europeans from friends, family and work colleagues that I have spoken to. It's cool and all, but to expect 75k+ every year at every game after the 1st year or two is reaching.

Reactions: Bodo Fenrirsson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts