2015 NCAA football discussion thread

I would say the Alabama spot is very secure, assuming they win out. Even more so with another ole miss loss as it would put Bama in the sec champ game.

And I would say there is no way a one loss Alabama as SEC champs is left out.
Not sure, for Alabama is be SEC Champ, means their loss will be to an unranked 3-loss team (as Ole Miss has to lose for Alabama to get in the SEC Champ).
Notre Dame's single 2-pt. loss to a #1 Clempson looks a lot better, and will likely let them edge Alabama. The margin right now beween the 2 is probably razor thin, which will be whiped out by Ole Miss getting another loss. Unfortunately Alabama needs Ole Miss to lose, or they won't get into Atlanta. Catch 22.

Worse is that an undefeated Big XII team will also jump them. The Big XII is low now, but they're getting into the meat of their schedule, and that will raise the winners profile.

Bama really needs the Big Ten/ACC/or Big XII Champ to have a loss.

Bama would also have, assuming they win out, and lsu does too, a win over a 1 loss LSU and a win over a potential one loss Florida in the sec champ game. That's a heck of a resume boost to end the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course the selection committee is a terrible idea imo and we really do not know what will happen. They are likely to completely change the entire top 4 next week wins or losses be damned.

Reactions: mccoyrj
I would say the Alabama spot is very secure, assuming they win out. Even more so with another ole miss loss as it would put Bama in the sec champ game.

And I would say there is no way a one loss Alabama as SEC champs is left out.

I really don't understand this committee at all. Are they even watching college football? What has one loss Alabama done to be ranked above several of those undefeateds? Beat a bad Georgia team? And don't get me started on Notre Dame. The committee obviously gives points for "traditional top tier" one loss teams, regardless of performance.

Personally, I think a healthy Florida has the best chance at winning the SEC. I certainly don't have any delusion of LSU winning out. They too are over ranked by the luck of their schedule and the committee's ignorance. With their porous defense and bad special teams, I don't see their offense overcoming the remaining schedule. They will have 2 losses (I hope that's all) before season ends.

If any SEC team does get in the playoffs, I really don't see them winning it all, just like last year. I hate to say it, but IMO none are that good.

Reactions: Hart5150
Oh come on. You know Bama and lsu are the teams to beat and everyone else is playing for third ;)

I wouldn't be upset if Bama were behind the undefeated teams. Or some of them anyway. With most of them set to play each other that part will work itself out.

The bad Georgia team lets not forget was not so bad at that time. They are a totally different team without Chubb.

Plus the wind over Wisconsin and A&M were quality wins. As was the win over the Vols.

Although Tennessees record shows the losses if anyone watched them this season they have a very good team. They could easily be sitting with one (or no) losses right now.

Personally I think some of the other conferences have made strides but the sec is still the best overall conference and I look for either Bama or lsu to win it all this year. Of course they could both crap the bed as well, but the talent in both of those teams far away is better top to bottom than most others in the picture.

You just don't want to have to maybe eat crow later. :D

I talk it until it isn't possible anymore. ;)

Reactions: mccoyrj
I really don't understand this committee at all. Are they even watching college football? What has one loss Alabama done to be ranked above several of those undefeateds? Beat a bad Georgia team? And don't get me started on Notre Dame. The committee obviously gives points for "traditional top tier" one loss teams, regardless of performance.

I think you are being a little unfair to Notre Dame here. I don't think they should be above Michigan State but like msmith198025 said that will work itself out since several of those unbeaten teams still have to play each other.

That being said, Notre Dame's only loss this season was by 2 points to the team ranked #1 on this poll. I don't see how you can look at that and say that Notre Dame is only ranked highly because they are a traditional top tier team that hasn't shown anything with their performance. They have shown me more than Baylor has by beating a bunch of cupcakes by 40.

Baylor hasn't played a single ranked team this year (Neither have TCU or Oklahoma State for that matter). Again, that will work itself out since they have 3 ranked opponents in a row coming up. If they make it through that stretch unbeaten they will crack the top 4. Notre Dame also has to prove it one more time against #11 Stanford to finish the year as a 1 loss team.

This poll will still shake up quite a bit when some of the unbeaten teams lose a game over the next couple weeks. Today's rankings won't even matter by the end of the season.

If these committee polls have no meaning, then they should not make selections until after the season. Right now they are trying to predict the future based on nothing more than opinion and personal bias. They lose credibility by the week. We would've been better off had they worked out a playoff system with the eight BCS teams.

Reactions: osu1991
If these committee polls have no meaning, then they should not make selections until after the season. Right now they are trying to predict the future based on nothing more than opinion and personal bias. They lose credibility by the week. We would've been better off had they worked out a playoff system with the eight BCS teams.

I wasn't saying the playoff poll means nothing. It decides who makes the playoffs so it's obviously important. What I was getting at is that the poll that came out this week means nothing. It doesn't matter who is in the top 4 in the first week of the playoff poll when several of the teams near the top still have to play each other before the season is over.

TCU, Baylor, and Oklahoma State have matchups with each other that will show who the best of that group is before the season ends.

Michigan State and Ohio State have to play in the regular season to decide the same thing. Iowa doesn't have to play either of them during the regular season but they will have to play one of them in the Big Ten championship game.

LSU and Alabama still have to play each other in the regular season as well.

That's what I meant when I said that the current poll means nothing. These teams all still have huge games against each other so the playoff poll on the last day of the season will look quite a bit different than the first playoff poll that came out earlier this week.

Reactions: Jimbo and mccoyrj
I wasn't saying the playoff poll means nothing. It decides who makes the playoffs so it's obviously important. What I was getting at is that the poll that came out this week means nothing. It doesn't matter who is in the top 4 in the first week of the playoff poll when several of the teams near the top still have to play each other before the season is over.

TCU, Baylor, and Oklahoma State have matchups with each other that will show who the best of that group is before the season ends.

Michigan State and Ohio State have to play in the regular season to decide the same thing. Iowa doesn't have to play either of them during the regular season but they will have to play one of them in the Big Ten championship game.

LSU and Alabama still have to play each other in the regular season as well.

That's what I meant when I said that the current poll means nothing. These teams all still have huge games against each other so the playoff poll on the last day of the season will look quite a bit different than the first playoff poll that came out earlier this week.
I understood. That's why I stated that the committee should just meet at the end of the season when all games have been played and pick the final four (which should be 8 to reduce conflict and simply be fair). Again, just my opinion.

Like with last year and the Buckeyes, if the likely Big 12 Champ (my money is on the Cowboys) continues to be undefeated, they will jump into the final 4. Especially after Alabama/LSU and Ohio St./Michigan St. loses.
2 of these 4 will obviously lose a game ... if the OTHER 2 win out, they will be in.

The committees FINAL poll is the only one that matters, however, if they post them like they do, we have something to discuss.

I also think that the BCS selection process was MUCH better. Go back to that and have your top four.

I also think that the BCS selection process was MUCH better. Go back to that and have your top four.
It really doesn't matter to me which one is used .... if the teams they want to get in are playing well they will put them in .... ... the BSc was the same way, they just fudge the computers a little one way or the other.

Personally I think I like this a bit better, at least you hear what they have to say.

Personally I think I like this a bit better, at least you hear what they have to say.
Same here, but I like it more for the accountability.

Especially since coaches have in the past massaged their votes to get certain teams ranked either higher or lower to help out other coaches they knew.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)