2015 NCAA football discussion thread

If they're just that weak, then how come the SEC lost both championship games the last 2 years?
After a bazillion in a row, and one year where the SEC shut everyone else out of the championship game, it was bound to happen at some point. The key part of that is, even after finally losing two, they still had teams in them. That shows consistent strength over a very long period of time.

Actually, the NCAA recognized championships long before the playoffs, they simply did not sanction a championship game. But the AP champs from years back are as much "national champions" as are the Buckeyes of last year. Same with the BCS
Same with UPI, Sagrin (at least A&M believes so), Sports Illustrated, JimBob's Fishing Report, etc...

Same with UPI, Sagrin (at least A&M believes so), Sports Illustrated, JimBob's Fishing Report, etc...
Many different organizations were recognized over the years, such is the changing face of college football and its ranking bodies. Many carry much more weight than other, historically and today. It is hard to dismiss AP or UPI titles of years past. Much easier to dismiss Franks Dawg Gone Rankings however.

Most go with the prevailing body at the time.

Technically though, only 1 conference has an officially recognized National Championship, and it's isn't the SEC or ACC. ;)

Let me clarify my post. The NCAA still does not officially sanction the playoffs, no more than they did the BCS, or the poll era of awarded championships. They do officially recognize champions from all three.

Let me clarify my post. The NCAA still does not officially sanction the playoffs, no more than they did the BCS, or the poll era of awarded championships. They do officially recognize champions from all three.
They don't?
Didn't notice that. I'm surprised at that, as NCAA rules were changed to accommodate it.

Guess that want to keep Frank relevant. ;)

Cant let Frank be left out. :D
I wonder if it's possible to make a SatGuys Sports Forum Poll. Let us all pick our Top 25 (or just 10 if we're lazy) and have it's results calculated and published each week. Be an interesting (and fun) thing to do next year.
I'm tempted to look around online for something like that.

I wonder if it's possible to make a SatGuys Sports Forum Poll. Let us all pick our Top 25 (or just 10 if we're lazy) and have it's results calculated and published each week. Be an interesting (and fun) thing to do next year.
We could even award a trophy, and Bama will have to build an even bigger display case :D

Seriously, I like the idea.

Which teams are you saying have a better schedule than Notre Dame and deserve a spot instead of them? If Oklahoma State or Iowa win out they will get in instead of ND. They both have lower strength of schedule ratings than ND but if they go undefeated they deserve the spot. I don't think any other team has a legitimate gripe.

Also, when exactly has this happened before with Notre Dame where you can say they got in because of their name and not what they did on the field? When they lost to Alabama in the championship game a few years ago? They were undefeated against a good schedule that year and absolutely deserved to be there. That is the only recent time they have played for a national championship so I'm not sure what you are talking about. Sorry but that argument is weak.

Edit: Also, when have ECU or UCF ever had a stronger schedule than Notre Dame? Notre Dame plays a decent schedule every year that is certainly better than what ECU and UCF face. Your hypothetical of them playing a tougher schedule than Notre Dame, going undefeated, and getting left out because Notre Dame has a better name has never happened as far as I can tell.

1993 Notre Dame vs 1993 W. Virginia: #2 ND was 10-1...W.Virginia UNDEFEATED and #7th. WV schedule was slightly tougher.
1994 Colorado State vs. 1994 Oregon: Colorado State was 10-2 and ranked #16.. Oregon was 9-4, ranked #11. Colorado States was much tougher
1995 ND vs East Carolina: BOTH with equally identical 9-4 records with ND having a slightly better record and ending up being ranked #11
1996 WV vs Penn St. BOTH have 11-2 records, Penn State ranked #7, WV ranked #13th. Penn St. had a slightly tougher schedule.

And those are the ones I took the time to search. I am sure I went back or forwards 10 years, you will find plenty of these situations.

By the way, ALL this information was easily found on wiki. My statement was based on bigger named(as I stated in my post by adding USC) school will always have an advantage.

This whole post is full of holes. Seriously, did you research these at all?

1993 Notre Dame vs 1993 W. Virginia: #2 ND was 10-1...W.Virginia UNDEFEATED and #7th. WV schedule was slightly tougher.

Notre Dame also won their bowl game that season, and W. Virginia lost theirs. So WV was not undefeated, finished 11-1. WV got blown out 41-7 by #8 florida and ND beat the #6 ranked Texas A&M aggies. It makes sense that they would be ranked higher.

1994 Colorado State vs. 1994 Oregon: Colorado State was 10-2 and ranked #16.. Oregon was 9-4, ranked #11. Colorado States was much tougher

In 94, Oregon was not really a bigger name team than Colorado state. If it had been 04, then we are getting to relevance for the ducks, but not 94.

1995 ND vs East Carolina: BOTH with equally identical 9-4 records with ND having a slightly better record and ending up being ranked #11

ND ended up 9-3 that season, beating #10 Texas, #15 Washington, and #5 USC. All three teams they lost to ended ranked in the top 10.
East Carolina lost to one ranked team in #8 Tennessee, but also lost to unranked Illinois and Cincinnati. They had one win against a ranked team in Syracuse.

1996 WV vs Penn St. BOTH have 11-2 records, Penn State ranked #7, WV ranked #13th. Penn St. had a slightly tougher schedule.

In 1996 WV finished 8-4.....and lost to every ranked team they played. Penn State was 11-2.

And those are the ones I took the time to search. I am sure I went back or forwards 10 years, you will find plenty of these situations.

By the way, ALL this information was easily found on wiki. My statement was based on bigger named(as I stated in my post by adding USC) school will always have an advantage

Last edited:
Reactions: king3pj

By the way, ALL this information was easily found on wiki. My statement was based on bigger named(as I stated in my post by adding USC) school will always have an advantage.

Those examples are from 20 years ago and I asked when ECU or UCF had a stronger strength of schedule than Notre Dame, went undefeated, and were left out of the championship game. That was the example you used in the post I quoted and I still don't think that has ever happened in real life.

I'm also not sure those examples really apply to what we are talking about. In the only example you used that involved Notre Dame and ECU you said that Notre Dame had a better record and played a tougher schedule. How did they only get in because of their name that year?

Like it or not Notre Dame isn't there this year because of their name. I have pointed out that the only team in contention with a higher strength of schedule ranking than Notre Dame is Alabama. hancox also posted the strength of schedule rankings here for everyone to see.

To suggest that they are only here because of their name is unfair.

You would think so, but don't forget the mass movements last year on the committee's poll week to week. TCU & Baylor can attest how quickly you can drop out while still winning, due to other teams having incidentals like a championship or in this case a perfect record.

Same as Ohio St. got in with it's Big Ten crown, so will Iowa and/or Okie St. with a perfect record and Big 10/12 crown.
I think Ohio State got in last year because how badly they manhandled Wisconsin from the other side in the Conference Championship game more than anything.

sorry to dissapoint but another win over auburn and a win over Florida which should be ranked higher will probably jump Clemson not fall to anyone.
A Bama win over Auburn will not do anything for them ... with how bad Auburn is this year. A win over Florida will raise them some.

Well to be fair he did it as if the season ended today. The reason he has Notre Dame in ahead of Ohio State right now is actually in the article. "Ohio State has no victories over anyone in the top 30."

Ohio State hasn't gotten to the part of their schedule where they play their strongest opponents yet. If they finish the season undefeated they will definitely get in over a 1 loss Notre Dame.
Here we go again, are they talking being ranked at the time they played the game of ranked at the time of the polling ?

After a bazillion in a row, and one year where the SEC shut everyone else out of the championship game, it was bound to happen at some point. The key part of that is, even after finally losing two, they still had teams in them. That shows consistent strength over a very long period of time.
Over the last 20 years ... Yes the sec has been the top of the rung, however, other teams, not necessarily Conferences, are winning now, that is good for the College game, however, if it continues tooo long the sec guys won't like it much.

Lets see, theres more sec guys here than any other, so it's easy to see where this poll will sway. :eeek

Here we go again, are they talking being ranked at the time they played the game of ranked at the time of the polling ?

I don't know. I don't follow Forde or read his articles. I was just responding to the vurbano's post with the author's reasoning for putting Notre Dame ahead of Ohio State.

The article is who he would put in the playoffs if the season ended today. It's a pointless discussion because the season doesn't end today and he is not part of the real committee. Ohio State controls their own destiny. Win out and they are in. If they lose a game they probably won't make it.

I don't know. I don't follow Forde or read his articles. I was just responding to the vurbano's post with the author's reasoning for putting Notre Dame ahead of Ohio State.

The article is who he would put in the playoffs if the season ended today. It's a pointless discussion because the season doesn't end today and he is not part of the real committee. Ohio State controls their own destiny. Win out and they are in. If they lose a game they probably won't make it.
I have read Forde's articles from time to time .... usually they are his opinion, which like you said, mean nothing.

Rafael Palmeiro

NFL games in China? It could happen by 2018, according to report

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)