2018-19 NCAA Football Thread

Kirby Smart and many Georgia fans were channeling their inner Michigan, and saying they should have been in the playoffs even though they had just lost to the team they were lobbying to play.

Of course Alabama was agreeing, for the same reason Ohio St. did back then, they already knew they could beat them because they just had.

What's worse, is that Kirby Smart threw his players under the bus for his dumb call, and mistake for not calling a time out when it was obvious Alabama never fell for the fake punt. He said it was because they took too long to snap the ball. No, it was because you sent in a 5-star quarterback into a punt formation when he hadn't done that all year. Of course Alabama figured it out, which is why they lined up in a defensive formation from the start. That's when you should have called timeout and then just punted it away.

Reactions: mccoyrj
No surprise there. Pretty solid picks. Might’ve swapped Georgia and Ohio State.
I would have swapped them. Georgia lost to the 2 good teams on their schedule. The only other 2 wins of note were Florida (a very inconstant team this year) and Kentucky (who is still Kentucky).

1-loss and a conference championship trump 2-losses and no championship.

Bama vs Oklahoma in the orange bowl.

Clemson vs Nd in the cotton.
Orange Bowl should be exciting. While Oklahoma has a typical Big 12 defense (which is to say, none), their offense is really high powered. How Alabama's defense can handle them will decide how that game goes. The reason Oklahoma ran all over Alabama a few years ago, is because Kirby Smart had no clue of how to handle a hurry up offense when he couldn't substitute. So the key will be how Jeremy Pruitt can handle it.

Clempson and Notre Dame far less so, as the Tigers will probably run away with it. Of course now that I've said that, I've jinxed it for them and Notre Dame will beat them and the Alabama/Oklahoma winner. ;)

New Years Pick 6 have been placed:

December 29 (Saturday)
  • Peach Bowl - Michigan vs. Florida
  • Cotton Bowl - Clempson vs. Notre Dame (play-off)
  • Orange Bowl - Alabama vs. Oklahoma (play-off)

January 1 (Tuesday)
  • Fiesta Bowl - UCF vs. LSU
  • Rose Bowl - Ohio St. vs. Washington
  • Sugar Bowl - Georgia vs. Texas
January 7 (Monday)
  • National Championship - Levi Stadium (Santa Clara)

I would have swapped them. Georgia lost to the 2 good teams on their schedule. The only other 2 wins of note were Florida (a very inconstant team this year) and Kentucky (who is still Kentucky).

1-loss and a conference championship trump 2-losses and no championship.

Agree 100%

The committees explanation of Oklahoma is full of holes.
Thier talk that Oklahoma's offense being HISTORIC is Comical .. Buckeyes Offense if playing just as well.
They claimed that they got in because they avenged thier only loss.
Buckeyes didn't have the opportunity to avenge thier loss.

Buckeyes defense is statistically way better than Oklahoma's ...

All that said, I think they got it right ... surprisingly they didn't find a way for 2 loss SEC team Georgia to make it.

Clempson and Notre Dame far less so, as the Tigers will probably run away with it. Of course now that I've said that, I've jinxed it for them and Notre Dame will beat them and the Alabama/Oklahoma winner. ;)
Don't worry, you didn't jinx them ... They can lose to Notre Dame just fine all by them self.

Reactions: Derwin0
Heres hoping LSU's Defense shows up, I doubt they are gonna score more than 40.

I hope “what’s left” of the LSU defense can get the job done. Two top corners will be out (one injured, one declared for the NFL and decided to sit out the bowl game), and a top linebacker has to sit out the first half due to another questionable targeting call from the A&M game.

I hope “what’s left” of the LSU defense can get the job done. Two top corners will be out (one injured, one declared for the NFL and decided to sit out the bowl game), and a top linebacker has to sit out the first half due to another questionable targeting call from the A&M game.
If nothing else, most of the country will be pulling for LSU.

If LSU loses, just do what Georgia & Aubarn did when they lost to UCF (as did Alabama when they lost to Oklahoma), just say they were disappointed by not being in the National Championship game and thus didn't play hard.

I'd be happier if one of the "mighty" SEC teams would lose to one of the FCS schools that all of them have on the schedule.
SEC isn't the only conference that has teams that play an FCS team. Almost every FBS team plays at least one FCS team.

FBS Conferences With Most and Least FCS Teams on 2018 Schedule
Each team in six leagues -- AAC, ACC, Conference USA, MAC, SEC and Sun Belt -- will play one FCS team this season. All but one Mountain West team will do so, as will eight Big 12 teams and nine Pac-12 teams. The Big Ten, meanwhile, will play only Western Illinois and Northern Illinois. Part of the discrepancy is attributed to a short-lived Big Ten rule that barred members from playing FCS teams. That rule was lifted last year and teams have begun scheduling future FCS games.

Even the Big Ten backed off on it's pledge to not play FCS teams anymore.

Big Ten teams are allowed to schedule FCS opponents again. Should they?

CHICAGO – Two years ago, the Big Ten announced a series of new scheduling rules. It jumped from eight conference games to nine, mandated each team play one non-conference Power 5 opponent, and banned its teams from scheduling non-FBS opponents. Signed contracts would be honored, but there’d be no new FCS games joining the slate.

The restriction on FCS scheduling now has a caveat. In years when Big Ten teams have four conference home games out of the nine-game schedule, they can put FCS teams on their schedule, commissioner Jim Delany told SB Nation during a press conference at the league’s media days Monday.

SEC isn't the only conference that has teams that play an FCS team. Almost every FBS team plays at least one FCS team.
Proud to say the Oklahoma is not one of the 8 from the Big 12. The closest that OU comes to FCS is Tulsa. Then again, OU will never be upset by Grambling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)