4D Map Master Question for all with 4DTV's

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Personally, I don't use the generics. I don't even know what's on them. I have educated myself but still useless to me. Not sure if the generics qualify or not.

The generics will stay, they are used to tune specific other channels not mapped (not sure what change we will make to them yet). What I'm talking about would be satellites that are useless to the majority or are not in the 4D now that need to be added.
There is only so much room in memory we want to clean things up and make the best use of that space.

For me, it's important to have sats that can be subscribed to - I suppose that's not the point as anything that can be subbed will require valid maps from Comcast.

I do use Generics, so am pleased they will be staying.

I do very little with Ku so CBand is my bag, but I'm sure there are others who are all Ku and little CBand.

I think T6 (93`) is gone anyway. At least I can't find it. But if I had to pick 1, it would be M5 (116`)

I use a 905 and tune Ku from Canada, Catholic TV on C3 NW News on C4, Nebraska PBS on T4, and Miami TV on W3. I subbed HBO for years and really miss it. I suppose there are more ITC Channels that I have not mentioned.

My 4DTV satellites proposal

These stock tiles and 881 channels aren't worth a crap!
B6 W2 'W3 'T4 'G7 T6 G3
T5 'G6 'W4 K1 'W1 'X4 E2
A2 M1 M5 'G0 X0 'G5 G9
T7 'C3 'G1 'C4 C1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I propose the following satellites (list attached, use OpenOffice or Word to view)

let me know what you think...View attachment 4DTVSATS.doc:rolleyes:

BTW: I had to upload as .doc format since satguys don't accept *.odt files.

These stock tiles and 881 channels aren't worth a crap!
B6 W2 'W3 'T4 'G7 T6 G3
T5 'G6 'W4 K1 'W1 'X4 E2
A2 M1 M5 'G0 X0 'G5 G9
T7 'C3 'G1 'C4 C1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I propose the following satellites (list attached, use OpenOffice or Word to view)

let me know what you think...View attachment 62567:rolleyes:

BTW: I had to upload as .doc format since satguys don't accept *.odt files.

IMO We need to remove a bunch of analog channels that don't have any use anymore and dead digital muxes. We need to add digital muxes to the original satellites that they are on and we use generics for that are active. I started some talk about this at our special place. We can iron out details there, from input were getting at Sat guys.

Keep input coming guys :)

How many sat's do you need to remove? For me F1, F2, B6, R4, and any Ku designator that is part of a C band sat i.e W4 / K4 the K4 can be removed. Any thing east of 53 W would not bother me.

We originally were planning just a pre 1/4 restore. Now were thinking on cleaning it all up and give a fully functioning set of current maps. The problem with modifying by the end user is there is quite a bit of data you need to know to get a channel to work and most are not up to the task. (most would probably screw things up too we can't be held liable for that or anything else, it is a hobby project) At least on a basic level it will not be modifiable. (updated generics could cover more for the end user in a basic release) We may provide map updates, not sure yet. We will probably have an advanced released that will allow more features but we need to get a working basic program to build on, time will tell. At this point we are moving forward so this is very good :)

Last edited:
I use the 922 for positioning for FTA and an FTA receiver. Only Sats that are dead and gone should be dropped. The designations would need updating.
Presently carry a full line up hits sub but the guide is something else! Use a piece of paper with the guide from SRL printed on it.
Unless something radically changes subs become less important every day that passes. To much ebalorch up there to get me excited! Basically I enjoy surfing
satellites to see what may be useful or entertaining. The 4DTV receivers are nearing the end of their lives and from what I am hearing DC2 has a limited
life expectancy now. Technology is changing fast and I guess we are becoming old geezer Luddites.

The thing with the big dish is there is always something new. With the pizza dishes and cable your always limited by with what they offer and that's it. Never will you get a feed or a strange new channel. The big dish may slowly be fading away but I'm gonna ride it till the end. The internet will eventually be the place where all the entertainment will be offered. Cable TV and even networks will be on the net. Just look whats changed in just 10 years wow. Long live c band!!!!!

The problem with the internet is now there putting caps on bandwidth. Soon you will have an access fee and a bandwidth fee that will probably cost $4.00 per meg just like a gallon of gas. C band is a hell of a lot cheaper :)

I would hate to see any satellite tile removed. They are useful for using the 4DTV for FTA as a positioner/polarity/skew controller, regardless of their names/IDs.

Seems to me that was one of the original reasons (not to loose tiles) for starting the project. Now you want to remove tiles?

The "possibility" of not allowing the user to change the maps is also beginning to sound like Motorola/GI all over again. I hope I am misunderstanding.

DRCars

I would hate to see any satellite tile removed. They are useful for using the 4DTV for FTA as a positioner/polarity/skew controller, regardless of their names/IDs.

Seems to me that was one of the original reasons (not to loose tiles) for starting the project. Now you want to remove tiles?

The "possibility" of not allowing the user to change the maps is also beginning to sound like Motorola/GI all over again. I hope I am misunderstanding.

DRCars

I agree and thats why I proposed 40- satellite tiles for 30W to 139W, plus 5 extra satellites, and 6 generic c-band (CA,CG,etc) and 5 ku generic for total of 56 with ones we have now such as amazonas1, named "A1" etc. I am pushing for the FTA crowd. We'll be here when DCII is a memory....

Had the 4play thing worked out, one of the things I had planned on doing was adding the channels that we get with generics directly into the correct tile. If this were done, the generics wouldn't be as necessary. I guess some would still want to "surf" with the generics to see what they could find. But once found, the channel could be added to the appropriate regular tile.

I almost agree with only tile per orbital location. That would certainly be good enough as a master mover for FTA. But, it would would eliminate the ability to receive analog feeds on whichever band there wasn't a tile for. And there are still times when there is a feed of interest on analog C or Ku. Not real often, but it does still happen.

I would think a cutoff point after so far east could be figured out.

Cheers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)