Please reply by conversation.

bobvick

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2006
Northwest Alabama
I posted a similar thread over in the 4DTV forum, but I thought I might get more answers in the general FTA forum. I found a DSR 905 on E-Bay that I am looking at. Can it be used on the same dish as say, a Openbox S9 or Manhattan 1933? I have ordered a DMX741 C/Ku LNBF and I am going to use a GBox as the positioner. How will I go about hooking everything up so that the FTA receiver will move the dish with the GBox and the 4DTV will still get a signal when I want to watch something on it? Thanks in advance for your help.

just my opinion

There are two approaches.
1. daisy chain the lnb signal through both receivers
2. use a power-passing splitter to feed both receivers

Either way, you really need to power off the unused receiver.

With method 1, the daisy chain, some members have reported troubles, confusion, problems, or failure to work properly.
I suspect that's because all receivers don't operate the same way when used in this manner.
Since I don't want to debug such a problem, I choose to avoid it. ;)

Method 2 has been chosen.
You need a two-way, dual power passing splitter.
That means either receiver can power the LNBF.
The diodes protect both receivers, preventing current flow from one back through the other.

The 905, and all the 4Dtv family are unable to send diseqc or 22khz to select an LNBF.
(I doubt the 410 can, either)
There is no pay service on Ku, so the 905 needs to just default to the C-band LNBF.
But, if you want to reliably select the C-band or Ku-band LNB for the FTA receiver, you'll need a 22khz switch.

So, you use the following:
- 905 receiver, one input (may need to set to voltage control, and maybe reverse polarity?)
- FTA receiver, one input
- dual band LNBF, output for C-band, output for Ku-band
- dual power-passing splitter (three terminals, two in, one output)
- 22khz switch which only powers the selected input (not an eCoda, to the best of my knowledge)

Hook the C-lnb signal to the common splitter input
- one output of the splitter to the 905
- other output of the splitter to the OFF input of the 22khz switch

Hook the Ku-lnb signal to the ON input of the 22khz switch
- Off input of the switch to the splitter output, as above
- output of the 22khz switch to the FTA receiver

If the FTA receiver is powered off (OR on with the Ku LNB selected), then the 905 has complete control of the C-band LNB.
For the FTA receiver to control the C-band LNB, the 905 must be off, AND the FTA receiver turns off the 22khz tone.
For the FTA receiver to control the Ku-band LNB, the 905 can be on or off, and the FTA receiver must turn on the 22khz tone.

Sorry I didn't supply a picture , but it really is very simple.
Of course, you may not want to bother with the 22khz switch, and the flexibility it provides.
(which is: letting your FTA receiver run on Ku while the 905 runs on C-band)

Since the DMX741 has a built in 22Khz switch, would I still need an external one?

since there is nothing KU on the 4DTV (905) I wouldnt worry about it. Just use the C-Band side

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)