771 Error ... Suggestions / Explanation

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cjwct

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Glastonbury, CT
Hey Sat Peeps ... I have had Direct for 6 months problem free. Within the past couple of weeks some channels intermittingly become garbled/scrambled and a 771 error code pops up. Tech is coming out on Monday.

My question is twofold:
1. What is this error usually caused by?
2. Is there anything I can look at between now and then or suggest on Monday?

FYI, it's happening on both receivers and I have already checked wire tightness and satellite line of sight for obstructions. Everthing is good and this suprised me after months of flawless service :-(

Could range from mis-alignment to a bad connector at the LNB to a faulty SWM module to a piece of junk cable. Of the 3 service calls I have had with 771 on some channels, 1 has been a bad SWM module and the other 2 have been copper-braid cable.

The code is not on all channels nor any specific channels. It also happens irregardless of any weather. One night its a movie channel, another night its ESPN, etc. Wiring was installed 5 years ago by Dish technician which Direct tech used. Essentially its a straight run from dish into receiver.

As you probably know the 771 error means your receiver cannot get a good signal from the LNB. I looked at your other recent posts and it looks like you have been experiencing rain fade and a power outage. So it would seem that your may have a dish alignment problem and/or things got out of sequence with your power outage. With such a general question it is hard to be more definitive with an answer.

It would help to know your signal strength readings on the various birds. That would help the real techies on this forum to see if your signal strength is up to par. Second, it would be nice to know your configuration: number/type of receivers, SWM/non-SWM, etc. This helps get closer to an answer.

Since it is intermittent, it is probably best to just wait for the tech on Monday. He will be in a much better position to get a better understanding of the source of the problem.

I will post signal later (exactly what numbers should I post cuz I know there are a lot) when I get home; thanks for responses.

Understandably the tech should fix it but considering it just started a few weeks who with flawless service had me more than curious.

Also, this problem happens weeks before the storm hit here and occurrs whrther rain, shine, or cloudy.

Okay, does this help:

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110903_143310.png
    ForumRunner_20110903_143310.png
    164.5 KB · Views: 419
Okay, does this help:

You need to post the signal strengths on all of the satellites. If your numbers on 101 are this low, you most likely are very low on 99c and 103ca-cb.

More pics ... getting an error trying to upload more pics sorry, but I am guessing the low signal strengths are the problem; correct?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110903_150526.png
    ForumRunner_20110903_150526.png
    164.5 KB · Views: 237
  • ForumRunner_20110903_150544.png
    ForumRunner_20110903_150544.png
    175.1 KB · Views: 274
tvropro said:
20's.... I'm surprised you have any picture.

Only 1 or 2 having problems: ESPN2, HGTV. Other than that, no problems ... wonder why this "just happened"?

Clarifying q: #'s should be in 20s not in 90s or N/A?

Doesn't the odd transponders reading zero indicate a multiswitch or lnb issue aside the low over all numbers?

you might need to find a buddy and try a DIY realignment. or call back saying everything is now out, need service. Do you the protection plan?

Odds are the mast is out of level, guessing a batch of the old monopoles that was sent out a year ago prolly kicked the bucket or the tech didn't mount the dish correctly. Either way, that dish is out of alignment big time

Hutch1814 said:
Odds are the mast is out of level, guessing a batch of the old monopoles that was sent out a year ago prolly kicked the bucket or the tech didn't mount the dish correctly. Either way, that dish is out of alignment big time

Thanks ... at least this will be fixed ... before tech leaves on Monday, what should the "average" signal strengths read?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts