A question concerning HD capable receivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cchank

Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
South Texas
Is there a list of what particular HD receiver does what? Not PCI or USB cards. For instance, does the XYZ 9000 receive 8PSK DVB-S2 or just DVB-S2 QPSK or not at all.

When one searches the net you get answers to questions that are not very satisfactory.

I am to the point where I am going to ask one of my European friends to look for an STB that will work here in North America.:eureka

Thanks

The closest thing to a "good" solution for an HD set-top box at the moment is the Pansat 9200. As far as importing from Europe, be careful to read the specifications of the box, as they use a different standard (50i vs 60i) for HD. Possibly some boxes may be able to do both, but check into this before committing to buy. Also, remember that most boxes from Europe will use 240v at 50hz instead of 120v at 60hz for power.

The closest thing to a "good" solution for an HD set-top box at the moment is the Pansat 9200. As far as importing from Europe, be careful to read the specifications of the box, as they use a different standard (50i vs 60i) for HD. Possibly some boxes may be able to do both, but check into this before committing to buy. Also, remember that most boxes from Europe will use 240v at 50hz instead of 120v at 60hz for power.

Yes, this is true the frame rate is different for the Europeans as is the voltage. I have found after reading and reading specifications, if the STB will output NTSC-M, then it will work here, not only as far as the TV modulator is concerned but also for composite and HDMI outputs.

As far as North American receivers we have a few that do HD but which ones do what... as confirmed by users? Is there one here that does MPEG 2 and 4? Is there one that will receive 8PSK (non turbo)?
Again, confirmed by users. What is found on various dealers sites is inconclusive. I have searched the threads here and a few times I am still lacking answers. :confused:

Thanks

From my hands on experience:

Neusat 9000 HD- HD/SD QPSK ONLY. Doesn't claim to do S2, and it don't. I didn't try H264. :)

Diamond 9000HD - Mine does NOT do S2 as claimed on the box, however another member has one here and it does it fine, with a few S2 feeds. It DOES do h.264, what few I have found. SO I guess YMMV.

I contend that there isn't a receiver yet that will do what we ask, here in North America,anyway. Much to our maddening frustration.

From my hands on experience:

Neusat 9000 HD- HD/SD QPSK ONLY. Doesn't claim to do S2, and it don't. I didn't try H264. :)

Diamond 9000HD - Mine does NOT do S2 as claimed on the box, however another member has one here and it does it fine, with a few S2 feeds. It DOES do h.264, what few I have found. SO I guess YMMV.

Stogie, thanks for the info this kind of hands on info is what I am looking for. Anyone care to share what the other box can or can't do?

My Qualitv does not have an ATSC tuner or do Mpeg4 or S2 or even Blind Scan. It will do 4:2:2, the only STB I know of that will. It's the best receiver I've got.

My Qualitv does not have an ATSC tuner or do Mpeg4 or S2 or even Blind Scan. It will do 4:2:2, the only STB I know of that will. It's the best receiver I've got.

Hi all,
I too am waiting for the mythical 4:2:2 stb. I thought Mpeg4 and S2 were other names for 4:2:2. Apparently I was wrong.

Are there other "secret names" for 4:2:2 that I can look for?

Many Thanks
-Jerry

As far as I know the Quali is the ONLY consumer-grade DVB receiver that will do 4:2:2. The name that is most closely associated with 4:2:2 is, suprislingly enough, called "4:2:2 Chroma Sampling".

4:2:2 is a subsampling scheme. It can be deployed on various modulation types QPSK or 8PSK, DVB or DVB-S2.

See wikipedia for a quick understanding of various subsampling with examples.

And 4:2:2 is something you should be looking for. It's certainly something that I want in the next box that I buy. Otherwise, I'll end up keeping my DVB PCI system as a backup. It's kludgie , but it works .

I spoke with a fellow yesterday who is using a European Humax HDCI-2000. Google it, nice receiver that will do everything in various permutations but no 4:2:2. He confirms it does demodulate DVB and DVB-S2 in MPEG2 and 4, QPSK and 8PSK. He uses it with a PAL to NTSC converter. Because the Euro HD frame rates are either at 50 or 25 fps versus USA 60 or 30 fps a converter must be used. Unfortunately the converter only takes composite video, so the advantages of HD are lost. The receiver works but has problems in this country that would drive most crazy. Most of these problem are related to the conversion of video process, skipping, stuttering, etc.

Just thought I would pass this info along, I am still searching for a all receiver.

Any comments from Sonicview and other owners, not mentioned so far, of HD receivers concerning my original post?

thanks

I have the Diamond 9000HD and it does do DVB-S2, no problem. The trick was, using the PC Channel Editor(NDF Editor), you have to enter the TP info including correct FEC("pilot" selected/on) and upload to the receiver, and scan. Also you must use the Factory File. I watched the HotPass feeds, 21 or 22 RTN feeds, NBC Universal on G14(was ITC for a few hours 3/15). There is no Blind Scan at all though,(DVB-S or DVB-S2. I do not know of any DVB-S2 Blind Scan units STB/PCI/USB. The ATSC and PVR worked great too! If you don't need 4:2:2 or Turbo this may be the unit for the price around $300.

does it do mpeg4 as well ? I would think so considering it does dvb-s2, but its not a given, you can send mpeg2 on dvb-s2 if you wanted to.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts