A quick "newbie" question.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

c_perrone

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Greetings all,

I have been interested in "scanning" the satellites in the sky for different type of available programming. I would like to have the ability to scan as much as possible. I have come upon a dish that I can have for free. Here are my questions:

Is the dish I have attached pictures of worth tearing down and moving for FTA?

Would I need to make any upgrades to the dish? (I think I know this answer;:)

What would be the best FTA receiver to get in conjunction with this dish?

Thanks for taking the time to answer this total newbie..;)

Clint

Attachments

• DSC00425.JPG
    DSC00425.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 159
  • DSC00424.JPG
    DSC00424.JPG
    810.7 KB · Views: 132
Of course that dish is good for scanning the skies. You will have a nice project and rewarding your efforts with TV found no other way.

It will be necessary to have a device to move the dish actuator. Most analog and 4DTV receivers incorporate them.

My vote for STB is the Pansat 9200HD.

Keep us advised and have fun.:)

Welcome to the Group Clint

what you've got is a BUD or c-band mesh dish
i love em most were retro fitted for just c-band but a few cam configured with a corotor and will do both c & ku . they are also not that hard to upgrade to get ku.

movement : if it was me and distance to the house was not far i would remove it in one piece ( for me it makes for a easy instal ) but if you have to take it apart then you should note how it goes together it will help when placing back together.

from the looks of it there should be very little you would need to upgrade , you might want to clean a bit of the rust off. you would have to check the motor and if the previous owner had the old receiver & remote ( to move the dish) this will help unless you plan on using a v-box / g-box type mover.

a FTA receiver : depending on your needs they are several listed in the review section. i personally like one with blind scan ability . but with HD big on everyones minds there are several options out there. but a good basic blind scanner will get you started . but be fore warned FTA is a very addictive hobby :D

Last edited:

movement : if it was me and distance to the house was not far i would remove it in one piece ( for me it makes for a easy instal ) :D

Well the dish is located at my neighbors house which is about 1/4 mile across my back field. I should be able to move it in one piece without any problem.

I will need to do a LOT more reading to see just what receiver and other items I will need to get.

Clint

well from one of the pictures , the dish seems to be located on a hill or in an area with a drop off . the main thing is to be safe .. the ones i get i usually can drive my pickup right beside it and place it into the pickup bed. but the dish isn't very heavy so two or three people can move it easily.

there is also a c-band forum one section over with lots of install info :)

good luck and were here if you need some help or information :)

well from one of the pictures , the dish seems to be located on a hill or in an area with a drop off :)

Yes gabshere it is. I should have no problem as it's a pretty straight shot across my field. I will be very carefull.

This is a complete system including the box and remote, so I wonder if I simply hook up everything, would I be able to get the free channels that are available as of now? I'm not sure what the receiver type is as my neighbor is away for a while, but I was just curious if I would get anything at all with everything as is?

Thanks for all the replies..

Clint

yeah if you get a analog receiver then you would be able to get the free analog channels but they are dwindling , and some sports feeds pop up when the sports season is in full swing.
best to add a dvb receiver once you have everything set up and enjoy the digital feeds and channels that are free.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)