A solid Birdview Dish is in my near future!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
After looking over the pictures some more, there might be a way to tie it off to one of those trees, then cut the pole at ground level part way to gently lower it to a height where everything could be dis-assembled.

The biggest thing we will be pressed for is time. If the solid comes down easy and we get it all loaded up with no problems, that shouldn't take more than an hour.

We want to try and get down there and back in one day.

If everything worked out just right, this one could be done too. :)

Well I am here if you need any additional help. Also you can PM me.

this is about the height of my dish. makes it perfect to park my pickup right under the dish and place a 2X12 across the truck bed and work on a dish. you would have to be careful but i think you could remove the dish while parked under it ( and two people holding the dish) unbolt and lower the dish. the main problem i have seen with birdviews is the pole & the amount of concrete people used to set them. the last one i looked at had a pad 3 ft X 4 ft and seems like they used a ton of the stuff lol

good luck either way you go.

you want ideas?

* rent a bucket-truck?
* lash the dish/pole to the raised bucket with big rope?
* sawz-all that thin-walled pole at ground level
* oh, will the bucket hold all that weight? - :eek:
* if you're clever, you might rig the ropes so you can bring down the bucket and get out, then raise the rigging to take the weight

or, alternately...
* get in the bucket and disassemble the dish from the mount?
* use the bucket to lift the dish off the mount?
* should be down-hill from here . . . :rolleyes:

Well I am here if you need any additional help. Also you can PM me.
Thanks, and I am sure we could use your help.
this is about the height of my dish. makes it perfect to park my pickup right under the dish and place a 2X12 across the truck bed and work on a dish.
See I knew the smart guys here would come out of the wood-work sometime. That is a great idea. If I can get the trailer back there and park under it. The dish isn't so bad to get off, and once off, we could get the pole and mount down to work level.

* rent a bucket-truck?
* lash the dish/pole to the raised bucket with big rope?
* sawz-all that thin-walled pole at ground level
* oh, will the bucket hold all that weight? -
* if you're clever, you might rig the ropes so you can bring down the bucket and get out, then raise the rigging to take the weight

or, alternately...
* get in the bucket and disassemble the dish from the mount?
* use the bucket to lift the dish off the mount?
* should be down-hill from here . . .
All great ideas, but won't have time to go around renting anything and expect to be there and back in one day.

I'll send you a PM djkurious, when we get closer to a date so we can co-ordinate with you. I am watching the 10 day forecast for there every day. We need it to be at least above 50 degrees ( maybe 60 ), and hopefully when there isn't any wind or rain.

Fred your going to do this, and your doing it in a areostar
with some plywood as a base and with or without a rack on the roof it should give it enough support to stand on the roof of the van.( you might need a step ladder) Just drive the van under the dish and climb on top and remove everything , hand it down one piece at a time and load it into the trailer. :)
the pole will be harder.

Fred your going to do this, and your doing it in a areostar
with some plywood as a base and with or without a rack on the roof it should give it enough support to stand on the roof of the van.
Yes, it will be in my Aerostar, but I don't have a luggage rack.

You may be right though, a 3/4" piece of plywood might just be the ticket on top for two men to stand on. I think we can make it work if we can get close enough to the dish.

Thanks, and I am sure we could use your help.

See I knew the smart guys here would come out of the wood-work sometime. That is a great idea. If I can get the trailer back there and park under it. The dish isn't so bad to get off, and once off, we could get the pole and mount down to work level.

All great ideas, but won't have time to go around renting anything and expect to be there and back in one day.

I'll send you a PM djkurious, when we get closer to a date so we can co-ordinate with you. I am watching the 10 day forecast for there every day. We need it to be at least above 50 degrees ( maybe 60 ), and hopefully when there isn't any wind or rain.

That will work!

Danger, Will Robinson

If you are going to use plywood, let me suggest you review the thickness.
Assuming you are buying it and not using an existing piece, that is.
3/4 is way too heavy !
1/2 is probably too heavy.
1/4 is probably too thin.
I'd suggest 3/8, I think, but others may offer differing opinions.
1/2 might be my second choice.

And cover the roof with a number of blankets before putting the plywood up there.
The padding is to match the curve of the roof to the flat wood.
The plywood is of course to distribute the weight of your foot over a large area.
Two men on the roof would be a lot.
Then, to have them supporting the dish, might still dent your van's roof....

Well, that's my thought for the day. - :cool:

If you are going to use plywood, let me suggest you review the thickness.
Assuming you are buying it and not using an existing piece, that is.
3/4 is way too heavy !
1/2 is probably too heavy.
1/4 is probably too thin.
I'd suggest 3/8, I think, but others may offer differing opinions.
1/2 might be my second choice.

And cover the roof with a number of blankets before putting the plywood up there.
The padding is to match the curve of the roof to the flat wood.
The plywood is of course to distribute the weight of your foot over a large area.
Two men on the roof would be a lot.
Then, to have them supporting the dish, might still dent your van's roof....

Well, that's my thought for the day. - :cool:

Well I am certainly glad you are thinking this thing through for me.

You may be right about the 3/8" being sufficient. It would allow a little flex to the contour of the roof.

You almost need two men to hold the dish when it is unbolted to get it started in the right direction to the men on the ground. While not extremely heavy, it is heavier than one man can handle.

a knotted rope through the first bolt hole (and preferably at the top of the mount) would give one person leverage to hold while on the ground and lower the dish as its being unbolted to the van top. this way one person handles the weight and the other person removes the bolts and manuvers the dish where its wanted. i don't think a lot of pressure would be needed to hold the rope from the ground. now the H-to-H mount might require two people to handle.

a knotted rope through the first bolt hole (and preferably at the top of the mount) would give one person leverage to hold while on the ground and lower the dish as its being unbolted to the van top. this way one person handles the weight and the other person removes the bolts and manuvers the dish where its wanted. i don't think a lot of pressure would be needed to hold the rope from the ground. now the H-to-H mount might require two people to handle.

If I understand correctly, take the top row of bolts out, and loosen the bottom row enough to tilt the dish forward and get a bolt or two back in the top row. Attach a rope through an empty hole in the top of the mount, and use it for lowering with one man on the van to guide the dish to men on the ground.

Ok, I see where you are going with this. :)

i think and throw ideas out they might not always be useful :) but some might :)
i don't know how sturdy the H-2-H mount is so i didn't know if it would withstand the pressure of someone holding a rope through one of the mounting holes if you have a small block and tackle with clip it would work better for the rope.

i don't know how sturdy the H-2-H mount is so i didn't know if it would withstand the pressure of someone holding a rope through one of the mounting holes if you have a small block and tackle with clip it would work better for the rope.
Well let's put it this way.

Once the dish is off, the plastic piece under the top part of the mount is removed,and there isn't any hard surface around like concrete, asphalt or anything else like that, I wouldn't care if we cut the pole and let it fall.

Hitting the dirt will not harm that mount. Just have to pick it up out of the hole it makes. :D

Well it looks like a break in the weather forecast for Nashville will be on Sunday. High in the mid sixties.

I have put out the call to all my buddies, and think I can raise three of them for the trip. I have been in touch with the owner, and he will be home, so it looks like a good possibility of a go. I have also PM'd djkurious to make sure that we can get that one at the same time if he is available.

Since my last post here, I have found a piece of equipment that will do the trick of taking down the dish. I own a drywall lift that I had forgotten I owned. It was buried in the warehouse, but I drug it out a couple of weeks ago. This lift will support a 12 foot piece of 1/2" drywall, so I think it will support the dish and mount. I also got a lift for hanging over the edge of the roof for bringing things up that I will borrow the pulley off of and the 200 feet of rope that came with it. Pics below.

My welder is making me a tube for the top of the lift with a pivot point to stick in the top where the lift platform usually sits, with a hole for hanging the pulley on one end.

He is also making a piece of flat steel with holes drilled with centers for two points on the back of the dish and front of the mount. There will be a hook welded to the flat back for grabbing with my rope hook. :)

We just climb up on a ladder, take the top six bolts out, loosen the bottom six bolts, lean the dish forward away from the mount, slip the flat steel between, put in two bolts, grab onto the hook, take the weight off with the rope, remove the bottom six bolts, and lift the dish away from the mount and gently set it on the ground. Do the same with the mount, and cut the pole and we are off.

Piece of cake!!

Here's the pics:

drywall-lift.jpg pulley.jpg

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, the lift folds up for travel in the back of the van. :D

Questions from the unwashed. Does the term "Birdview" mean a brand or a type of dish? Is th f/d different? The one Linuxman is going to pickup appears to be solid and one heavy muthr. Are they any better than mesh type?
Thanks
Tom

Questions from the unwashed. Does the term "Birdview" mean a brand or a type of dish? Is th f/d different? The one Linuxman is going to pickup appears to be solid and one heavy muthr. Are they any better than mesh type?
Thanks
Tom
The term Birdview refers to a brand of dish that was manufactured in Kansas and sold all over the US.

They were one of the best satellite dishes ever manufactured. They were so well built, and so expensive, they went out of business. But what they sold is made like a swiss watch. Meticulously made, precise gear driven motor, and surface accuracy of the reflector that you just can't find on other dishes.

Most came with true H-H mounts for a plus or minus 80 degrees from your center of the arc in view.

The solid dish by itself will weigh around 100 lbs, the perforated ones will weigh around 75 lbs. The mount weighs in at around 100 lbs too.

They take a little work, time, patience, and a little money to make them work with modern satellite systems, but when all is said and done, they are well worth the effort. :cool:

Congrad's on your new dish

You guys won't believe this.

A very nice guy emailed me from just outside Nashville this morning.

This is what he said in his email:

After a couple of emails later and a phone call, it is mine.

I have a couple of months to make arrangements with friends, borrow a trailer, find a nice warm day, and I am off to Nashville to retrieve this wonderful one-owner dish and accessories.

The guy was super nice on the phone, and I am thrilled!! :)

Here are the pictures he sent taken just this morning:

View attachment 21521 View attachment 21522 View attachment 21523

View attachment 21524 View attachment 21525

According the the maps, it is only about a 5.5 hour drive from here, so I can make that in one day if we leave early.

WooHoo!!!
HI linuxman,
Good for you, I'm happy that you came by his dish. Ever since finding your thread on Dish Hunting I have found several that I didn't notice before. All of them have been made with mesh. I haven't seen any solid big dish's at all.

It really looks like a great find and a great and sturdy dish! Again, Cheers! :hatsoff:

Tom

Satellite Dish Lifts

Well it looks like a break in the weather forecast for Nashville will be on Sunday. High in the mid sixties.

I have put out the call to all my buddies, and think I can raise three of them for the trip. I have been in touch with the owner, and he will be home, so it looks like a good possibility of a go. I have also PM'd djkurious to make sure that we can get that one at the same time if he is available.

Since my last post here, I have found a piece of equipment that will do the trick of taking down the dish. I own a drywall lift that I had forgotten I owned. It was buried in the warehouse, but I drug it out a couple of weeks ago. This lift will support a 12 foot piece of 1/2" drywall, so I think it will support the dish and mount. I also got a lift for hanging over the edge of the roof for bringing things up that I will borrow the pulley off of and the 200 feet of rope that came with it. Pics below.

My welder is making me a tube for the top of the lift with a pivot point to stick in the top where the lift platform usually sits, with a hole for hanging the pulley on one end.

He is also making a piece of flat steel with holes drilled with centers for two points on the back of the dish and front of the mount. There will be a hook welded to the flat back for grabbing with my rope hook. :)

We just climb up on a ladder, take the top six bolts out, loosen the bottom six bolts, lean the dish forward away from the mount, slip the flat steel between, put in two bolts, grab onto the hook, take the weight off with the rope, remove the bottom six bolts, and lift the dish away from the mount and gently set it on the ground. Do the same with the mount, and cut the pole and we are off.

Piece of cake!!

Here's the pics:

View attachment 22341 View attachment 22342

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, the lift folds up for travel in the back of the van. :D
Hey Fred, The dish that I got from the guy who own the satellite store used apparatus to lift the dish off the pole. He claimed he could use it to lift any dish off the pole by himself. He said he made it himself. It was a peice of Aircraft tested Aluminum angle bar that had two straps that could be strapped to the pole. Then he hooked up a hook to a place like the mount. Behind the angle bar was another part that went higher then the peice that was held on the bar. It kind of looked like a come along. He was able to lift it off the mound then with another person holding onto the bottom of the dish, he lowered it to the ground.
:eureka It was an amazing tool to have to lift and lower satellite dish's. Not sure this will help you now before you go but maybe in the future.

Cheers again,
Tom

It was an amazing tool to have to lift and lower satellite dish's. Not sure this will help you now before you go but maybe in the future.
An old satellite installer was describing one of those to me a few weeks ago and that was what gave me the idea to use the drywall lift.

The tool you are talking about is a "Dish Crane". I haven't been able to find any, and I don't think they are made anymore.

I am glad you liked the dish hunting thread. Hunting dishes is my favorite sport. :)

Just an update.

I talked to the owner of the solid on Thursday afternoon. He is quite a nice guy. He started off by saying he had a friend who was coming over that afternoon with a tractor to push the pole over with the bucket. :)

He then explained that he had read chefwan's post about his experience and started laughing. He was kidding me, and I almost had a heart attack.

The good news is, he has it halfway taken down already. Has the feed-horn off, and the support arms off. I didn't even know they would unscrew off the dish. :) Also he has taken the plastic cover off the gear assembly so it won't get broken, and he has the bolts loosened between the dish and the mount, so that one will be easy and a fast job. He mentioned that he has some other goodies for me when I get there. :eek:

I have been in contact with djkurious too. He went by the place where the perfed Birdview is, and has surveyed the area with some newer pictures. He has it all setup with the owner who will help us too.

This one is going to be a challenge. Djkurious took some measurements for me so I could plan ahead.

The bottom lip of this dish is 8 feet off the ground. The bottom of the mount is 9-1/2 feet which puts the top of the mount at about 13-1/2 feet. My lift only goes up to 11-1/2 feet which will be fine for the mount which is the heaviest piece.

The problem will be getting the dish off the mount. I'm thinking a rope between 2 of the trees behind the dish and hang the pulley off the rope to get the dish loose and gently swung around to set on the ground.

All work on this dish will have to be done behind the fence as there is only a walk-through gate to get into the fenced in area under a car port.

Djkurios has done a great job of preparation for us and has paved the way for us to get this dish, and I thank him very much!! :hatsoff:

Here are the fresh pics of the situation:

face.jpg front.jpg front2.jpg

side.jpg side2.jpg

The dish itself only weighs about 75 lbs, but it is big and bulky. If we can get up high enough to snag it from the top, it will be fine.

My help is all lined up, I have the trailer hooked up and checked out. Making a trip to Lowes today to pick up some 2x4s for building a frame on-site for transport back.

Leaving my house at 4:15 in the morning and picking up the guys in St. Louis at 5:00 AM. :cool:

Should be at the fist stop by 10:00 - 10:30.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)