A solid Birdview Dish is in my near future!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
how slow is slow enough?

CAUTION: CAUTION: CAUTION:
This Kit Will Not Count
Accurately Installed On A
37 To 1 Ratio Motor!
Well, the 70:1 and the 110:1 gearboxes do move the dish slower.
You suppose the 37:1 is just too fast, and ran past the desired count?

Linuxman hasn't reported any such trouble on his 37:1 , so far.
Apparently, not even with his pulse-doubling Gbox.
You suppose his mount is just so stiff, it's ponderously slow? - ;)

But, this could become a problem with anyone trying to get even more counts per degree of travel.
Guess the simple answer is to keep an eye on the problem.

:rolleyes: - maybe we can rig up a digital power regulator to slow the motor - :cool:
I did that once as a test with a buddy on his model train.
We got the bugger running so slow, we had to zoom in with a TV camera to a dust spot on one wheel, and then watch carefully to see that spot move (slow as snail p!$$).
The magic was, we still had full torque, so it's not at all like lowering the voltage.
So, in case anyone thinks about putting a resistor in series with the motor, that lowers torque.

Thanks Tom,

You can try Craig's List in your area, or ads in the newspaper, but the best method is word of mouth to every friend, family member, and acquaintance, plus get out there and hunt.

Hey Al,

I haven't had a bit of problems with the conversion switch from Skyvision, and it said the same thing about 37:1 gear ratio motors. I had read where others had used it with no trouble so I gave it a shot and it has been fine.

There doesn't seem to be any slowness about my mount or it being stiff, but I could have my magnet wheel set just right. A business card thickness clearance.

I found a partial sprayer bottle of Krud Kutter under the sink, but couldn't remember the strength I had mixed it at, but took it out and sprayed the bad spots on the dish with it soaking it thoroughly and let it set a full half hour.

I then found a smaller brush with stiffer bristles and mixed up my cleaner I used yesterday substituting the dish liquids with Tide liquid.

About 30 minutes later, I had the dish clean to my satisfaction.

Here are the before and after pics:

front-before-clean.jpg front-after-clean.jpg

Looks like a new dish almost. Paint is getting a little thin in a couple of places, but other than that, she's beautiful. :cool:

"Craigslist"

Tom, there was one (Birdview) on "Craigslist" in Jacksonville about a year ago. The guy wanted it moved and was telling people not to bother if they didn't have the heavy equipment to remove it. I doubt he got many callers? Maybe it's still there?
Nope, couldn't find him at all. I also tried just about every cith listed on Craigslist and didn't find any Birdview's or satellite dishes. Think I'm going to put an ad in the local paper and see. Thanks very much for thinking of me. :hatsoff:

I have also tried e-bay, Biz-rate and Amazon with no luck no far. Also went to a local small dish store asking about if there were any Big Dishes that they knew about that weren't getting use. Said he would keep an eye out for me.:up

Thanks,
Tom

Clean up and looking Good!

I found a partial sprayer bottle of Krud Kutter under the sink, but couldn't remember the strength I had mixed it at, but took it out and sprayed the bad spots on the dish with it soaking it thoroughly and let it set a full half hour.

I then found a smaller brush with stiffer bristles and mixed up my cleaner I used yesterday substituting the dish liquids with Tide liquid.

About 30 minutes later, I had the dish clean to my satisfaction.

Here are the before and after pics:

View attachment 22513 View attachment 22514

Looks like a new dish almost. Paint is getting a little thin in a couple of places, but other than that, she's beautiful. :cool:
LinuxMan, Looks great and a little paint can't hurt??
Tom :D

Attachments

• linuxmandish1.jpg
    linuxmandish1.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Dish Crane this weekend

An old satellite installer was describing one of those to me a few weeks ago and that was what gave me the idea to use the drywall lift.

The tool you are talking about is a "Dish Crane". I haven't been able to find any, and I don't think they are made anymore.

I am glad you liked the dish hunting thread. Hunting dishes is my favorite sport. :)
Hey Fred I may get the use of that Dish Crane this weekend. If I do.... I do plan on taking several picture of it and will try to make one for myself. I will be posting the picture of it here on this site because I think that everybody would love to have this tool.

Hows the Birdview doing?

I'm still thinking about that 12 footer.Took some more images of it and posted them. It'sdown the street from me and everytime I go out of my subdivision I see it! :D and :confused: Anyway the newer images show more.
Take care,
Tom

I would like to see the pictures of the dish crane, so if you can take some up close from all different angles that would be great.

I saw the newer pictures of the 12 footer in your other thread. It looks like the center feed-horn is home-made. The OEM models that I have seen all have their base supported by the hole in the center of the dish. I might be wrong about that. I would still pass on this dish.

Got the center hole on the Scaler Ring milled out today, and the Co-Rotor fits just as snugly as the last one did.

I like that because it means that a Geo-Sat Pro will fit in there just as snugly. :)

Little by little I am getting it ready to move to the roof. Next Saturday is the target day. :eek:

And here is the mount all cleaned and re-assembled with the motor and reed sensor conversion kit in place.

One thing to note for those of you who ever get a Birdview. You see the wires running through the little wire tie between the magnet wheel and the worm gear housing. That was put there by design to run the wire through to keep them between the flat side of the dish and the big gear so they don't get caught and chewed up.

The pictures show what a difference there is after cleaning up the rust and putting on some grease.

cleaned-mount1.jpg cleaned-mount2.jpg cleaned-mount3.jpg cleaned-mount4.jpg

I ran out of White Lithium Grease, so I'll finish greasing it when I get a new can.

Well I started yesterday getting the Unimesh down and out of the way. Putting the new masts in place etc.

Finished today with the new masts, and actually put the dishes where I wanted them.

I went the old fashioned route and had the scrap yard guy come down and lift the dish and mount on the roof. I did use the wooden crane and pulley for pulling up the masts, and other items. The mount was just too heavy.

My brother came down this morning, and He, my son, and I put everything in place.

The solid is hooked up and roughed in and functioning. I just hooked everything up, sent my son down to watch the signal meter, and hand put it on the arc. The signal is already where the other one was in it's out of adjustment state. It is going to be awesome when fine-tuned. :D

The perforated is not even hooked up yet. I will do that tomorrow. It is going to be cold and raining for a few days after that, so I won't get either one fine-tuned until mid next week. As long as they are functional, that is fine by me for now.

I'm beat!! :eek:

More details and better pictures soon. :cool:

After seeing all the flooding on tv, hope the rain stays away for you! At least you have your dishes already up there, just in case you have to go to high ground.

After seeing all the flooding on tv, hope the rain stays away for you! At least you have your dishes already up there, just in case you have to go to high ground.

Thanks Turbosat!

The flooding has all been 40 - 50 miles South of me thank goodness. I feel for those being flooded out and have seen the many pictures on TV and it is terrible.

Yes, my dishes will be safe unless we have another Noah flood. I would still have to move everything out of the building onto the roof, but could do that if needed.

I have a plan to build a steel crane structure using a huge pipe with an arm and a winch to pull up a platform. Hopefully will get it implemented in a year or so.

I have a plan to build a steel crane structure using a huge pipe with an arm and a winch to pull up a platform. Hopefully will get it implemented in a year or so.
Hey Fred, this is a Good Idea! I helped a friend build an Elevator for his Mother and it didn't turn out so well. He bought the Cheapest Wench (1 ton) he could find, from Harbor Freight. It ran off 12v, and just didn't have enough Amperage in my opinion? I tried to get him to get a bigger, stronger, more powerful Wench, but he didn't want to pay the difference, he thought the one he had would do the trick, but it didn't? I think the shaft/frame and elevator we built from wood had a lot to take from it as well? It would lift the elevator on it's on, but when a person would get in it, it just didn't have the horsepower. I believe if he had gotten a 110v or 220v or 440v Wench, or maybe a much higher Amperage 12v, he would have been good to go? Anyway, you can't tell him nothing, so he tore the whole project down and built a Ramp. It was only 4 feet he needed to get and everyone tried to get him to build a Ramp from the onset, but as I said, he won't listen to anyone?
Anyway, I'm sure you'll be making one with a lot more Wisdom than my friend. Good Luck on it whenever you get started.

Thanks Al!

Yeah, whatever I build will have to be able to pull up a 500 Lb. piano, or what is the point. :)

The whole purpose for mine will be to bring the household/office stuff to the roof in the event of a disaster, so mine will have at least a 110v winch on it. :D

If mine gets used for "other" items of interest, that is just a side benefit. :cool:

And here is the mount all cleaned and re-assembled with the motor and reed sensor conversion kit in place.

One thing to note for those of you who ever get a Birdview. You see the wires running through the little wire tie between the magnet wheel and the worm gear housing. That was put there by design to run the wire through to keep them between the flat side of the dish and the big gear so they don't get caught and chewed up.

The pictures show what a difference there is after cleaning up the rust and putting on some grease.

View attachment 22864 View attachment 22865 View attachment 22866 View attachment 22867

I ran out of White Lithium Grease, so I'll finish greasing it when I get a new can.

Everything is coming along good linuxman!

Thanks djkurious!

It's a shame we couldn't get the second Birdview in Nashville.

I still encourage you to find some equipment and get that one for yourself. They are great dishes. :)

Both dishes in place, hooked up and functioning. Both are performing well already, but I plan to start fine-tuning tomorrow on the solid first, then the perfed.

Part of the reasoning for moving the perfed dish was because I was going to changed out the mast anyway, and that position has the best LOS.

Take a look at the collars around the 6 inch mast for the solid dish. The former mast there was 5-5/8" and was giving me some problems with cap movement. I now have that cured on both masts using the original 6" pipes and the bolt that comes down through the top.

Here are the pics. Two of them were taken on Friday when I was tired. My son took them. I took the others yesterday.

solid-bview1.jpg perf-bview1.jpg solid-g11.jpg solid-left-front.jpg

solid-mount-left-rear.jpg solid-mount-left-rear-close.jpg solid-mount-rrear.jpg solid-right-front.jpg

solid-right-side.jpg perf-g11.jpg perf-rear.jpg perf-side.jpg

I'll post quality numbers when I have them tuned in. :D

Last edited:
What can one say? I'm Jealous...!!!! Thanks for the pictures Fred. I would love to have either one, and I would kill for both.........
"All's well" on your tuning tomorrow!

"All's well" on your tuning tomorrow!
Thanks Al!

I hope to start on the solid this afternoon. I have to go out this morning, but will be back by Noon. I hope it warms up enough to do the job. High is supposed to be 50F. May be warmer on the roof. :)

BTW, I am now shooting to replace all 5 of my dishes on the roof with Birdviews. :cool:

All I have to do is find them. :D

If I have to, I'll go back to Nashville and rent the equipment needed to take the other one down.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts