AC3 Audio Problem

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pboggs

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Kentucky
I'm sorry if this particular question has been asked before, but I'm having trouble getting sound on G18 Retrojams. I looked through the forums and saw where it has AC3 audio instead of mpeg.

My question is whether there is a way for a Coolsat 5000 to decode AC3, or if I have to purchase some other device to get AC3 audio?

I'm sorry if this particular question has been asked before, but I'm having trouble getting sound on G18 Retrojams. I looked through the forums and saw where it has AC3 audio instead of mpeg.

My question is whether there is a way for a Coolsat 5000 to decode AC3, or if I have to purchase some other device to get AC3 audio?

The Coolsat 5000 already decodes the AC3 audio and outputs to two ports (the optic port, and the RCA phono jack "black in color" labeled SPDIF plug). However this is a digital audio output, where as the red and white audio plugs on the back of your receiver are anolog output.

What you need to do is purchase either an optic cable for your rceiver or use the black phono plug and cable rated for digital audio. Then connect to your TV if it has a digital audio input, or use a home theater sound system that has digital audio input.

One other note to make, both these digital ports of the Coolsat 5000 work, but you will get loader audio using the optic port. You will get 5.1 surround or better from this audio output of your receiver.

I run the optic of my Coolsat 5000 to an RCA home theater system, works great for AC3 audio.

Hope this helps answer your question.

Walrus1957

Thanks. I have the same setup as you, so I'll try it out as soon as I get home.

The Coolsat 5000 already decodes the AC3 audio and outputs to two ports (the optic port, and the RCA phono jack "black in color" labeled SPDIF plug).
I have to disagree with this. The Coolsat 5000 does not decode the AC3 audio, it only passes it through to a Decoding device, such as an AV Receiver, or something else that will decode the AC3.
I run the optic of my Coolsat 5000 to an RCA home theater system, works great for AC3 audio.
Your Home Theater System decodes the AC3, the Coolsat 5000 does not decode it.

I have to disagree with this. The Coolsat 5000 does not decode the AC3 audio, it only passes it through to a Decoding device, such as an AV Receiver, or something else that will decode the AC3.Your Home Theater System decodes the AC3, the Coolsat 5000 does not decode it.

What you say here is in some respect correct. It does not decode and change to analog audio. It does strip the AC3 (digital audio) signal information and passes it through to the output of the receiver. From here you need the home theater or a TV with digital audio capabilities.

There were some cheap DVD players that had a digital audio input that you could use. But new players only have the digital audio output. Looked all over the place to find a cheap way of converting this digital signal. Found a cheap RCA home theater that does this and purchased for $80. Most home theater sound systems that have this as an input now days cost big bucks. What happened to all the cheap systems?

Also like to mention that the new sat at 125W (PBS) broadcasting in AC3 audio as well as some other channels on different satellites. The Coolsat can get the AC3 audio, you have to come up with a TV or home thearter system to play the audio. I heard some saying they have a DAC to do this, but not sure its that easy as it is more complicated and has several sound tracks on the digital format.

One more thing to add for Coolsat 5000 owners using the SPDIF outputs for the digital AC3 audio. Your volume control on the stb has no control, the volume will be controled by your TV or your home theater divice. The only time when the Coolsat will control the audio volume is if you turn it all the way off. Its like an off/on switch only.

Hope you find this information helpful.

And once again to further explain; The Coolsat receiver only strips the digital audio information from the data stream, it does not convert it to an anolog signal or compress to a single digital or stero digital output. The format remains the same, as a multiplexed digital audio with several channels. From what I have found it is a 5.1 format.

Walrus1957

As long as we are on this discussion of what the Coolsat 5000 receiver can do. Let me add this, it can not convert the 5.1 digital fomat to anolog. But it can convert anolog to digital. Meaning that if you select a channel that is not AC3 audio, the audio is converted and still exported to the SPDIF outputs.

SPDIF is an acronym for "Sony Phillips Digital Interface Format."

That's all interesting and helpful info walrus, but I still don't think the Coolsat 5000 decodes the AC3 audio. It only passes it through to a capable device that will decode the AC3 audio.

I tried hooking the SPDIF output on the 5000 to the digital coax input on my RCA home theater system. Still no luck. The channels with mpeg audio come through fine, but still no sound on the AC3 channels. I checked, and SPDIF is enabled in setup. Is there some other setting that might be causing a problem?

There were some cheap DVD players that had a digital audio input that you could use. But new players only have the digital audio output. Looked all over the place to find a cheap way of converting this digital signal. Found a cheap RCA home theater that does this and purchased for $80. Most home theater sound systems that have this as an input now days cost big bucks. What happened to all the cheap systems?

try sonicvoom headphones for a cheap solution

I tried hooking the SPDIF output on the 5000 to the digital coax input on my RCA home theater system. Still no luck. The channels with mpeg audio come through fine, but still no sound on the AC3 channels. I checked, and SPDIF is enabled in setup. Is there some other setting that might be causing a problem?

I am responded to you first as you are the person that started this thread. In audio visual output settings, yes you have to enable SPDIF output. But you said it is on.

Question, what output of the receiver are you using, the optic plug, or the black phono plug? For troubleshooting purposes, disconnect the red/white RCA plugs for audio if you haven't already done so from your receiver and let me know if you still get any audio at all from any channel.

Also what cable are you using to connect? Also what RCA home theater system are you using? On my RCA home theater there are selections in menue for satellite, and other inputs. Thinking you have both the white/red anolog inputs connected and either the optic or the RCA single phopno cable connected as well and just did not select the correct input to the home theater in menue. You must have selected the white/red anolog connections on the home theater, as you have stated all other channels the audio comes through.

I just checked a system at my brothers home as I am typing this, he has a Coolsat 5000 as well, and has the optic cable connected to an Onkyo home theater system. Retro Jams audio comes through just fine.

Thinking your problems are just a matter of selecting the apropriate input on your home theater. When you say you get mpeg audio just fine, again do you have the anolog audio cables from your receiver red/white connected as well?

This has to be a very simple problem that can be troubleshot in just a few minutes.

That's all interesting and helpful info walrus, but I still don't think the Coolsat 5000 decodes the AC3 audio. It only passes it through to a capable device that will decode the AC3 audio.

Voomvoom-

You are missing the point. It is not a decoding issue. The Coolsat takes the data stream from the satellite transmittion and breaks it up into audio and video information. It decodes from the standard DVB format in terms of extraction from one frequency to another. The digital audio (AC3) is a 5.1 standard format. This is all that is captured and does not decode any further or unencrypts in anyway. So to this point you are correct, it only strips this information and downconverts to appropriate frequency. Then this 5.1 audio format is passed to the optic and coaxial digital outputs of the receiver. The digital 5.1 is a multiplexed signal containing several audio channels. from here you need a specific device to seperate the channels and convert to an anolog signal to drive the speakers, hence the need for a digital capable home theater sound sytem, or TV with this capabilities.

Decode inferes that the signal was encrypted, this is not trure. What the Coolsat stb is capable of doing is downconverting and seperating the audio from the video and passing the information. So I hear what you are saying, I was trying to answer the original post as it was worded with out getting to technical. But if you want to get into specifics, I wrote the book on this and can get down to the nitty gritty. But want to keep in layman terms and not confuse anyone. Some FTA receivers will not pass the AC3 signals but most do. That is all that the average Joe needs to know. The next thing they need know is what device is required to process the AC3 audio from this point.

However you bring out some interesting points that I feel 90% of the members do not understand. What is the standard DVB format, what is 5.1 format, how exactly are signals encrypted. There are so many technical aspects to cover, I find all worth while covering in detail, but has to be a seperate thread.

But thanks for pointing out that there is no decoding as far as encryption is concerned or changing of the 5.1 format, there may have been some that took a different meaning to this.

Sounds like you are knowledgable of broadcast formats annd technical issues. This would be a good topic for you to bring up and start another thread. I am sure there would be many as I that would love to contribute to the topic an we all would be better informed. And again, I think I understand what you were infereing, I just wanted to state in laymans terms so not to confuse the original poster. Sorry for my poor selection of words.

Walrus1957

Does this A/V Receiver do Dolby Digital? Dolby ProLogic is not enough. Look for a Dolby Digital sticker / logo etc on the front. If your receiver has a "listen mode" or similar selection, monkey with it. :) My old Dolby Digital receiver had analog, digital, and auto-digital modes. If I left it in auto-digital it would "do the right thing" by using digital PCM or digital AC3 without my needing to switch it.

Also for the price I think everyone with an FTA receiver should get a pair of Sonic Voom headphones. Even if only for the garage receiver to some basic sound setup. :)

To Gabshere and 14karat,

I do not think this is hijacking the thread as it pertains to obtaining the desired (AC3) audio. Can you go into further detail about the SonicVoom headphones and how they connect to a receiver. I am sure that ther are many that want to get the AC3 audio, and if only through headphones would appreciate it. Cost for many is a factor, anyway of getting the audio at all would be a plus.

Does this A/V Receiver do Dolby Digital? Dolby ProLogic is not enough. Look for a Dolby Digital sticker / logo etc on the front. If your receiver has a "listen mode" or similar selection, monkey with it. :) My old Dolby Digital receiver had analog, digital, and auto-digital modes. If I left it in auto-digital it would "do the right thing" by using digital PCM or digital AC3 without my needing to switch it.

Also for the price I think everyone with an FTA receiver should get a pair of Sonic Voom headphones. Even if only for the garage receiver to some basic sound setup. :)

OK, now you are the third party to comment on the Sonic Voom headphones. What is this, when I looked for a way to listen to the AC3 output I found no cheap solution, even through a headphone. Please enlighten in detail. Hope this isn't considered hijacking a thread as it appears it maybe leading off topic,
but is still at this point in context.

Ok everyone, I'm back. Here's my entire setup: Coolsat 5000 Platinum, Pioneer DVR 531H, and RCA RT2360 Surround Sound system.

The Coolsat analog outputs (video, audio L, and audio R) are connected to the DVR which in turn connects to the television (through video, audio L, and audio R )and the RCA surround system through fiber optic cable.

The digital coaxial output on the Coolsat connects directly to the RCA surround system through the digital coaxial input on the surround system.

When I watch DVD's I set the surround system to Digital Optical. When I watch television I set it to Digital Coaxial. In both cases I have the the surround system set to Dolby Digital.

I must admit that I'm at a loss here as to how to fix the problem.

Check the audio pids...if it shows like 16500 then there is an issue. I know on my 5000 I have to MANUALLY add the audio pids...but then I'm using version 1.00 software...I dont know if 1.01 does it

I have to use ChannelMaster to add the AC-3 audio pid to the Coolsat. I just cant add it through the channel editor on the receiver

I know RetroJams had audio issues on other recievers too....check the two Spanish channels on 11720 TP...KAMT is one..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)