Adventures in Dish Hunting 2008

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Hey Guy!

Nice looking dishes!

The fiberglass solid looks huge. Too bad it is still in use.

The mesh dishes look pretty darn good except the one missing the panels. Even that can be restored, and you are right the actuator on the one looks new. I think it says Winegard on the feed-horn cover. That one would make a great dish. :)

You going to try and snag one of them?

Hope so! You need a nice BIG BUD to round out your FTA experience. :D

The fiberglass solid looks huge. Too bad it is still in use.
I'm thinking 8 foot or so

You going to try and snag one of them?
trying to get one of those from down the road. :)
Just wish they would be home

There is one down the road the other way (west of us) that is a 8 foot dish but its on a huge mast (it's on the north side of their house and has to clear the house...thing is up a good 25 feet or so...no way I'm getting that)

Good luck snagging one

There is one down the road the other way (west of us) that is a 8 foot dish but its on a huge mast (it's on the north side of their house and has to clear the house...thing is up a good 25 feet or so...no way I'm getting that)
Hey Iceberg,
Good find, too bad about the solid. Good luck snagging one of the mesh ones. Maybe you will get more then one. Like two or more and use it for spare parts. ;)

Tom

:D

Hello.

I am a newbie on the offset Ku dish scene, having just gotten a wave frontier T90 and the SV8000 rec'vr.
I always liked the extravagant stuff.

I am now re-kindling an old hobby or two by playing with satellites again.

I started back in '82 or so with a Radex 10.5 footer (Ku mesh).
I made a C/Ku scaler with the Ku off-set from prime-focus.
It worked. It had it's own polarity probe/motor as did the C-feed.
Later I bought a Seavey co-rotor which put them both on prime-focus.
I had played with Ku by itself on a 6' solid which was on a trailer with multi-adjust mast for making it plumb no matter what the levelness of the yard was.
I expanded it to 8' with a kit for it to do so.
That dish was available as solid or perforated (ku holes). It was called Spacemate. I still have several of those around here in parts.
I trade off the Radex & installed a 13' Hero (Ku mesh) with it's H-H chain drive.
I still have it installed and it now wears the Seavey feed for C/Ku as it had when I last played with it.
I kinda lost interest in the early/mid 90's but kept it in case I ever wanted to try EME (moonbounce) as a HAM with it's H-H capabilities.

I have always been facinated with satellite technology, and did ALOT of Ham satelitte operation using stacked Yagi's with full Az-El computer tracking on one mast with (2) 22 el 2-mtr beams, (2) 40 el 70 cm beams, & (2) 55 el 1.2ghz beams with 360 deg Az & 180 deg Elevation. The computer interface was super-cool as it would put the whole array on the horizon a minute before AOS and then track the moving object in Az and El. When it got to 90 deg in El, it was/is smart enough to rotate the Az 180 and then continue to track the El DOWN to LOS on the leaving horizon. This was ALOT easier on the coaxes....ha ha.

Anyhow....it looks like the FTA thing has got me inspired enough to play BUD again and probably add a modern Ku LNBF to it?

I may even take the 13' down.

Even after I quit, I still acquired dishes as I found them or ferreted them out.
If I take the 13' down....it will be replaced with one of the 'finds'.
I chased for years to locate it...and I finally got a 16' Hero with it's massive Horizon-Horizon chain drive. The mast will need the be modified for it.
I have it though and it is a 6" necked-down and tall enough.
Thankfully when I put the first mast in, I made it so I could unbolt it from the concrete base. It is a 20" circle of 1/2" steel dead-manned in a 4'x4' block of concrete with anothe 20"x1/2" plate bolted to it with (4) 1" bolts. That makes it so I can take it off & modify it (had to do that going from the 10.5' to the 13'). So I will have to do that again. The PVC cable run (underground) goes right up thru the mast for neatnesss/protection.

I will try to post some pics of the 13' as it is, before I do the swap to 16'.

As to some of the other posts in this thread...
Janeil made a 12 footer called a "Darkstar". It was nice looking, but the outer ring-band was plastic and failed after extended UV. I could be fixed though...a neighbor had one & I helped him fix it years ago.

Another nice H-H dish from that era was the 12' Paraclypse...it has dbl-row chain drive.
I scarfed one of those up too......

Hey Arunta419!

WOW!! It looks like you have been busy during all those years of "back burner" type activity.

We'll look forward to all your pictures. :)

And Welcome to the forum!!!

Welcome

Hello.

I am a newbie on the offset Ku dish scene, having just gotten a wave frontier T90 and the SV8000 rec'vr.
I always liked the extravagant stuff.

I am now re-kindling an old hobby or two by playing with satellites again.

I started back in '82 or so with a Radex 10.5 footer (Ku mesh).
I made a C/Ku scaler with the Ku off-set from prime-focus.
It worked. It had it's own polarity probe/motor as did the C-feed.
Later I bought a Seavey co-rotor which put them both on prime-focus.
I had played with Ku by itself on a 6' solid which was on a trailer with multi-adjust mast for making it plumb no matter what the levelness of the yard was.
I expanded it to 8' with a kit for it to do so.
That dish was available as solid or perforated (ku holes). It was called Spacemate. I still have several of those around here in parts.
I trade off the Radex & installed a 13' Hero (Ku mesh) with it's H-H chain drive.
I still have it installed and it now wears the Seavey feed for C/Ku as it had when I last played with it.
I kinda lost interest in the early/mid 90's but kept it in case I ever wanted to try EME (moonbounce) as a HAM with it's H-H capabilities.

I have always been facinated with satellite technology, and did ALOT of Ham satelitte operation using stacked Yagi's with full Az-El computer tracking on one mast with (2) 22 el 2-mtr beams, (2) 40 el 70 cm beams, & (2) 55 el 1.2ghz beams with 360 deg Az & 180 deg Elevation. The computer interface was super-cool as it would put the whole array on the horizon a minute before AOS and then track the moving object in Az and El. When it got to 90 deg in El, it was/is smart enough to rotate the Az 180 and then continue to track the El DOWN to LOS on the leaving horizon. This was ALOT easier on the coaxes....ha ha.

Anyhow....it looks like the FTA thing has got me inspired enough to play BUD again and probably add a modern Ku LNBF to it?

I may even take the 13' down.

Even after I quit, I still acquired dishes as I found them or ferreted them out.
If I take the 13' down....it will be replaced with one of the 'finds'.
I chased for years to locate it...and I finally got a 16' Hero with it's massive Horizon-Horizon chain drive. The mast will need the be modified for it.
I have it though and it is a 6" necked-down and tall enough.
Thankfully when I put the first mast in, I made it so I could unbolt it from the concrete base. It is a 20" circle of 1/2" steel dead-manned in a 4'x4' block of concrete with anothe 20"x1/2" plate bolted to it with (4) 1" bolts. That makes it so I can take it off & modify it (had to do that going from the 10.5' to the 13'). So I will have to do that again. The PVC cable run (underground) goes right up thru the mast for neatnesss/protection.

I will try to post some pics of the 13' as it is, before I do the swap to 16'.

As to some of the other posts in this thread...
Janeil made a 12 footer called a "Darkstar". It was nice looking, but the outer ring-band was plastic and failed after extended UV. I could be fixed though...a neighbor had one & I helped him fix it years ago.

Another nice H-H dish from that era was the 12' Paraclypse...it has dbl-row chain drive.
I scarfed one of those up too......
Hello Arunta419,
Welcome to SatelliteGuys.us and the membership here! :welcome
Yes it looks like you have been very busy!! Please show us some of your photo's of what you have and seen in your dish hunting over the years.
I just picked up a 10' Janeil over the weekend to go with my 10; Unimesh.
Love to see that 12' Paraclypse you have too.

Thanks,
Tom

I got and email with pics of a dish a guy in St. Louis is trying to get me to take down.

He says it is a 10.5 foot Radex or Radix commercial mesh dish. If anyone in St. Louis or nearby, and is interested, I can put you in contact with him.

I also know where there is another one just like it that can be had for free in St. Charles County.

Here are the pics. Looks like he used a camera phone.

radex1.JPG radex2.JPG radex3.JPG radex4.JPG

Let me know. :)

Radex....was among the best. Made in Florida if memory serves me.
All SS bolts & hardware.
Get 'em...they are good ones.
I tested them on Ku...worked fine with the nf. LNB's of the day....should be killers with modern stuff.

Radex....was among the best. Made in Florida if memory serves me.
All SS bolts & hardware.
Get 'em...they are good ones.
I tested them on Ku...worked fine with the nf. LNB's of the day....should be killers with modern stuff.
Thanks!

The one I saw a couple of weeks ago did have all stainless bolts, and looked like a very sturdy mount.

I will let them know I am interested. Going to pick up my 3rd Solid Birdview tomorrow.

Meanwhile if someone else around St. Louis is interested, just let me know.

Thanks again!

Would your HOA let you have an 8ft. dish?

I still have not asked my HOA about a big dish, but, I really am not sure where I would put it now. My backyard does not have much room with my daughters swingset, our pool, our concrete deck and the pool equipment and shed. Biggest I could possibly go would be 6ft. :mad:

I picked up this dish and mount this week (freebie!), saw it from a distance and thought it was steel but it turned out to be a Channel Master molded, it was used to gather DTN weather data but they are using the 'net for that service now.

Bad news is it took a pretty good hit sometime in the past, bent the bottom arm and cracked 2 of the attachments where the arms meet the dish. Good news is it came with that mount, which I have already enlisted in another effort that I'll be posting pics of soon.

Attachments

• Dish DTN.JPG
    Dish DTN.JPG
    169.3 KB · Views: 186
Bad news is it took a pretty good hit sometime in the past, bent the bottom arm and cracked 2 of the attachments where the arms meet the dish

looks just like my primestar/channel master ( i think 44inches high X 40 inches wide)
doe electronics does sell replacement parts.

EDIT : doe electronics should be DOW electronics

Last edited:
bent the bottom arm

I picked up this dish and mount this week (freebie!), saw it from a distance and thought it was steel but it turned out to be a Channel Master molded, it was used to gather DTN weather data but they are using the 'net for that service now.

Bad news is it took a pretty good hit sometime in the past, bent the bottom arm and cracked 2 of the attachments where the arms meet the dish. Good news is it came with that mount, which I have already enlisted in another effort that I'll be posting pics of soon.
Hello Phlatwound, congratulations on your find! Couldn't you have a bar made from a welding shop or somebody who does metal fabrication like a awning maker who might have light weight aluminum tubes? Just a suggestion and I hope it works for you.

Tom

looks just like my primestar/channel master ( i think 44inches high X 40 inches wide)
doe electronics does sell replacement parts.

I just went out and measured it, it's 32" tall x 30" wide, Channel Master mold #75M. Thanks, I'll check out that DOE, I think I could straighten the old one or make one if I wanted to try and fix it. :)

Hello Phlatwound, congratulations on your find! Couldn't you have a bar made from a welding shop or somebody who does metal fabrication like a awning maker who might have light weight aluminum tubes? Just a suggestion and I hope it works for you.

Tom

hey Tom, I haven't looked REAL close at it yet but it looked like the arms were made of 1/2" electrical conduit, if I can't make one I bet one of my electrician buddies could knock off a dupe pretty quick. :cool:

I found two dishes this spring: an old 10 foot paraclipse and a brand new 7.5 ft mesh dish with new actuator and over 200 ft of c-band wire. I scrapped the 10 footer and cashed in for the other parts and costs of this hobby. I add pics later as I am still installing.

10 foot paraclipse!!

I found two dishes this spring: an old 10 foot paraclipse and a brand new 7.5 ft mesh dish with new actuator and over 200 ft of c-band wire. I scrapped the 10 footer and cashed in for the other parts and costs of this hobby. I add pics later as I am still installing.

HI i4tas, you scrapped the 10 foot paraclipse!! :eek: From what I have heard they were good dishes in there time. Was it damaged?
Tom

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)