Adventures in Dish Hunting 2008

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Ah the good old days when I used to buy fresh eggs and non-pasteurized raw whole milk straight from the farmer. You know the kind where the cream rises to the top.

Mmmm-Mmmm Good!!!

It looks like an ADM brand dish that I had.

edit: I found some pictures of my ADM. Sorry for the picture quality I took a digital photo of the picture and posted.

1. Side shot. The dent. That was when a ladder was left next to it. As the dish was heading down to Galaxy 1, it hit the ladder. The actuator kept going and caused the dish to dent up.
2. Notice the structure. This thing was built like a tank. It took a day to take it down. Heavy? The mount must of been at least 150 lbs of solid steel.
3. The feed. This was after the LNA and this is the same feed horn that I was using on the KTI until last week.
4. The KTI installed in 1998. The ADM was on a 4 inch pole and was located to the right of the KTI. The tree in front of the ADM is the huge one to the right of the KTI. The pool is also new. I am glad I moved the dish! I think this picture is from between 1988 - 1991.

Attachments

• DSC02482.JPG
    DSC02482.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 188
  • DSC02483.JPG
    DSC02483.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 189
  • DSC02484.JPG
    DSC02484.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 144
  • DSC02468.JPG
    DSC02468.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Hey! I just thought of something!

If you live in or next to a big city, such as huston, nyc, chicago, etc. There is a free program called google earth that lets you zoom down on houses. populated areas have street level zoom so high-res you can even see people (look at dee little antz lol) Anyway, I thought with the price of GAS being so high, you could look around town on you computer for big dishes.

Dish Hunting and what did I find?

I was taking my Mother to the Dentist because she doesn't drive anymore. The dentist is about an hours drive from my house, so on the way back I thought it would be nice to come back home a different way. Not really any further of a drive, just different.

As we were driving back home there was a lot of un-developed land. A lot of the land was being used as Racing Horse Stables and running areas.

Anyway on the way home I see this large satellite dish that looks to me like it's a 12 footer. It has 4 sections that bolt up to each other. The Feedhorn was I think is referred to as a "Buttonhook". The feedhorn looked OK except it was missing the cover. It looked like it was just set up for C-Band only.

I went to the door and asked what they were going to do with that large dish. The guy told me it was his brothers and most likely would give it away or try to sell it. I laughed and said yeah a lot of people back then made a lot of money for them and they think that they are still worth it! Then they have to spend 200.00 to 500.00$$ to hasve them removed. I do it for Free. I don't pay, this is just one of my hobbies so it good for everybody around! I asked him if he knew if he still had the recievers for the dish. And he showed them to me. A large one and a smaller one too. I'm not sure if they are any good? Guess I'll find out later because by the time I got home I got a call from him saying for me to come and get the dish.

This dish is almost like the one I found before where the guy wanted a lot of money for it. I think he just said a high price because he wanted to keep it. I have photo's of that one. Just remember the only thing different is the feedhorn. The one that I found today, a section of the mound bar will need to be replaced. That shouldn't be a big problem thought. The actuator looks good and is hardly rusted at all. I think it might be a 24' mover.

Anyway it's free, whether I decide to pick it up or not. Its not far from me. Thank God it's not in Texas!! lol I plan on going back and getting some photo's of it. Still the photos from this post should say a lot too. Let me know what you all think!

Thanks,
Tom

:D
solid_0004.jpg

Front only with a buttonhook feedhorn

solid_0001.jpg

Back of Dish, only with a cleaner actuator

solid_0002.jpg

Back of dish showing Mount. This is bad. The one I found today is worst.
solid_0008.jpg

Back of dish showing Mount. This is bad. The one I found today is worst. However its a simple design and shouldn't be that difficult to replace.

Last edited:
i have seen one like that before. Its a standard feed , has rotor in it to get h or v. The mount looks very simple to ones ive seen, perharps you can sand blast it and paint it. If its too far gone, you might be able to get some angle iron and paint it. I read somwere, that if its fiberglass, the mesh inside it will go to hell quickly, but thats just what ive heard, ive seen one like it on a youtube video from 1981 im going to guess that dish was made from 1975 to 1985, but I would defintly upgrade the lnb, those old ones are hotter.

a butonhook feed has one support arm in the middle, they are nice beacuse you dont have so many arms blocking reception. How hard would it be to retrofit a 10' winegard to use a button hook? i am always taking down the feedhorn to tinker with stuff, and it is a paint in the but to unbolt all the support tubes from the scalar.

12 foot 4 section fiberglass dish

Hello everyone,
Well I picked up this dish that I asked about in thread number #88.
It was a 12 foot 4 section fiberglass dish. This dish was super heavy!! From looking at it you would think that it would be a great dish to have. And since it was for free I thought why not.

Taking it down and having the use of some help to load it on my trailer I could here the snap, crackle and Pop coming from the dish. That’s fine if it’s in my cereal. Not sure of hearing it has it is being carried to a trailer? It shows no cracks that I can see.

If I keep it, I will need to have a rebuilt mount to go around the back of the dish and the 4 bars that are attached to the mount and connect to the dish itself. I will also have to replace all of the bolts too, they are badly rusted.

I got the actuator, the feedhorn, and what appears to be a couple of receivers (not sure how good they are) from getting this dish. Do you guys think it’s worth saving or should it go to the scrap yard?:confused:

Thanks,
Tom

:D

It looks like a lot of you guys have luck in finding dishes out there. However, it seems like I don't have any luck around here. I am trying to run some ads in freecycle and a local swap network, but I still am not getting any bites. :(

As far as dishes that i'm seeing out in town, it looks like most of them are being used, however, i do see a lot of them with the mesh blown out of a section. I was just wondering if it would be easy or cheap to replace the mesh, or should I just hold out for a dish in good condition?

It looks like a lot of you guys have luck in finding dishes out there. However, it seems like I don't have any luck around here. I am trying to run some ads in freecycle and a local swap network, but I still am not getting any bites. :(

As far as dishes that i'm seeing out in town, it looks like most of them are being used, however, i do see a lot of them with the mesh blown out of a section. I was just wondering if it would be easy or cheap to replace the mesh, or should I just hold out for a dish in good condition?

Where do you live and what type of dish are you looking for? Read the posts and you will get some ideas where and what to look for. How far are you willing to go?

I would not get a severly damaged dish for the dish (personally) but I would take one to get a good mount, receiver or LNB - or even a supply of stainless steel bolts. But I would not pay for it.:hungry:

It took me several months to find my first good one. Then --- last week or was it two weeks ago, I got 3 very good C Band, one good C Band, and one very repairable C Band -- all on one 500 mile trip, all the actuators - not yet tested and 10 analog receivers. :D I have a lead on another 10 foot but I will have an 80 mile trip each way, so that one will wait. When I go that way I will call and see if it is still available.:cool:

To bad your not in Iowa, I have found 6 in about two weeks with 4 in excellent shape and the other 2 will go for parts and the aluminum metal. These things pop up like corn in the spring especially before the leaves comes out, already have found 3 more which go for scrap metal. Problem now is the cost of fuel is making the job a lot harder to justify looking for the dishes.

spare parts --- or--- SCRAP

To bad your not in Iowa, I have found 6 in about two weeks with 4 in excellent shape and the other 2 will go for parts and the aluminum metal. These things pop up like corn in the spring especially before the leaves comes out, already have found 3 more which go for scrap metal. Problem now is the cost of fuel is making the job a lot harder to justify looking for the dishes.
If the mesh/perf panels are still good, It might be nice to try to catalog and save them. The one dish I thought I was ging to have to scrap repaired very nicely. I may have it into working position in the next 2-3 days! I started on it first to salvage parts! I had to reinforce 2 joints and replace 4 or 5 bolts. I am not replacing any that are not broken... If it ain't broke, don't mess with it.
POP

Where do you live and what type of dish are you looking for? Read the posts and you will get some ideas where and what to look for. How far are you willing to go?

I would not get a severly damaged dish for the dish (personally) but I would take one to get a good mount, receiver or LNB - or even a supply of stainless steel bolts. But I would not pay for it.:hungry:

It took me several months to find my first good one. Then --- last week or was it two weeks ago, I got 3 very good C Band, one good C Band, and one very repairable C Band -- all on one 500 mile trip, all the actuators - not yet tested and 10 analog receivers. :D I have a lead on another 10 foot but I will have an 80 mile trip each way, so that one will wait. When I go that way I will call and see if it is still available.:cool:

I live in Middle Tennessee. I'd really like to find a standard size (8-10') C-Band dish. I see a few in town, but most of them look like they are being used, or beat up. I thought about getting a new 6 foot dish... It would be ok for what I would need probably, but I would also like to not spend too much on a dish, and a 8 to 10' dish is nicer to have signal-wise from what I hear. I have a KU system and I love it... so i'm pretty sure It will be worth the effort for a C-band dish.

If the mesh/perf panels are still good, It might be nice to try to catalog and save them. The one dish I thought I was ging to have to scrap repaired very nicely. I may have it into working position in the next 2-3 days! I started on it first to salvage parts! I had to reinforce 2 joints and replace 4 or 5 bolts. I am not replacing any that are not broken... If it ain't broke, don't mess with it.
POP
You have a good point, I may go ahead and catalog the mesh panels and scrap the frames.

For those of you who remember the fantastic deal I got on my original DSR-920 receiver while I was out dish hunting last year, I went back to the same guys house and bought his DSR-922 a while ago.

He called me about 6 months ago. He had kept my card, and said he was ready to get rid of the dish, receiver, and everything. He wanted to know if I wanted the whole show for $700.00 or some such outrageous price.

I was very kind and patient and told him that he would have a very hard time getting rid of the dish at all unless someone like me was into the satellite FTA hobby. I told him to advertise the dish on Craig's list and to advertise the receiver on Ebay, and he might get a little for the dish, and would have the best shot of getting a good price on his receiver.

I figured that he would not do either.

Sure enough about 3 months ago, he called me back and wanted to know if I wanted the dish for $100.00. I told him that I really didn't need the dish, but offered to come and take it down for it. I also spent about 15 minutes on the phone giving him step by step instructions on how to take the dish down and put it away if he wanted to.

So today I figured it would be about the right time to go visit him and see how he was coming. I noticed when I drove up that the dish was gone. I asked if he had managed to sell it. He said no, he had followed my instructions and dis-assembled it and put it away in his shed.

I asked if he still had the DSR-922 and he said he did. I made him an offer of cash money, and he took it. He also gave me the California Amplifier Mag-90 25K C-Band LNB from the dish, and an old Prism IQ analog receiver. All complete with remotes, original 4DTV box, manual, wires and all.

He bought it new in 2004, and quit using it about 6 months ago. The serial number says it was made in the 330th day of 2004.

I called another guy I had talked to about a newer model DSR-905 right around the same time last year. I am supposed to call him back tomorrow morning to see if he accepts my offer. :)

If you ain't dish hunting, you are losing out, so get out there and see what you can find. :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts