Adventures in Dish Hunting 2008

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I saw another one this weekend. About 1/2 hour west of the cabin there is a nice (and I do mean nice) dish. I dont want to say birdview but it might be. Looks like its always aiming SW (which would be down near 129-135 ish)...didnt stop but I've always seen that dish

Well on the way back I noticed they had a DirecTV dish on the TV tower so maybe the dish isnt being used......hmmmmmmm

I'm mad because I forgot my camera to take pics. I knew I was going by it on Saturday.

Saw another one too...about 3 miles down the road from the cabin. But I cant take that one. They're big baseball fans. the sign on the road says "(family's last name) dugout" and they have this big cutout of a batter right on the side of the road. Their dish (it looks to be 5 feet max) is a solid dish painted like a baseball :)

I saw another one this weekend. About 1/2 hour west of the cabin there is a nice (and I do mean nice) dish. I dont want to say birdview but it might be. Looks like its always aiming SW (which would be down near 129-135 ish)...didnt stop but I've always seen that dish

Well on the way back I noticed they had a DirecTV dish on the TV tower so maybe the dish isnt being used......hmmmmmmm

I'm mad because I forgot my camera to take pics. I knew I was going by it on Saturday.

Saw another one too...about 3 miles down the road from the cabin. But I cant take that one. They're big baseball fans. the sign on the road says "(family's last name) dugout" and they have this big cutout of a batter right on the side of the road. Their dish (it looks to be 5 feet max) is a solid dish painted like a baseball :)
Hope that you're going to go back to the cabin soon with a camera! Would like to see those and maybe you get lucky and bring one home!
Good Luck Tony!

TOM
:D

assume nothing - ask

They're big baseball fans. the sign on the road says "(family's last name) dugout" and they have this big cutout of a batter right on the side of the road. Their dish (it looks to be 5 feet max) is a solid dish painted like a baseball :)
Well, that's probably old. Haven't heard of any new 5 footers.
So, since they painted their signs, maybe the baseball lovers in the family moved away, or passed away.
Don't be shy.
Ask, and either you'll make new baseball friends, new sat friends, or go home with a dish.
All three are good outcomes. - :up

I have found 2 of these 10ft fiberglass dishes, both free, in the last 2 weeks. I'm not interested in getting either one of them, but was curious about the quality and who might have manufactured them. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0879.JPG
    IMG_0879.JPG
    408.2 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_0880.JPG
    IMG_0880.JPG
    488.1 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_0881.JPG
    IMG_0881.JPG
    365.5 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_0882.JPG
    IMG_0882.JPG
    254.6 KB · Views: 164
fiberglass dish

I have found 2 of these 10ft fiberglass dishes, both free, in the last 2 weeks. I'm not interested in getting either one of them, but was curious about the quality and who might have manufactured them. Any ideas?
Hey Glater,
From the front of the dish it looks a lot like the 12 foot fiberglass dish that I got. Talk about one heavy Dish too! Mine looks a little warped too. Got to change the pattern in it the way it is layed out to see if it comes back together better with a string test. Not really to active with it now. Yours on the other hand, the one you found looks like its a whole lot better, From the back there is more support worked into it then mine. I bet it still one heavy dish though! It will clean up good if you do decide to get it. The mount and everything else looks pretty decent too. Good luck if you do decide to get it with at lease 4 of your friends, can I once again say heavy! ;)

I don't know the make of it, but I bet you its newer then the one I got from looking at the back!

TOM
:D

Thanks Tom, I'm still chasing leads for a dish. I meet with a couple of retired telco guys that I used to work with for coffee about once a month and when I told them that I was looking for a dish, each of them came up with someone that had one that they want hauled off. Other than the mounts the dishes looked identical. I'm not interested in either one, but hadn't seen one like them in the past. I've got one more lead on a free dish, that one of my friends, daughter has, that I am going to go see next week. I know that bigger is better, but I'd like to find a 6ft solid or a 7 1/2 to 8 1/2 solid or mesh. Iceberg's ghetto move 6 footer setup would be great. I've been tracking some of Sadoun's ebay sales for those.

Those are Prodelin dishes very good gain an very very heavy.

Thanks 1captain, both of them look very well made. They were less than three miles apart, probably the same satellite installer back when they were put in.

Theres a member here who has a dish like that...name escapes me but he lives in Canada thats all I remember

Well, that's probably old. Haven't heard of any new 5 footers.
So, since they painted their signs, maybe the baseball lovers in the family moved away, or passed away.
Don't be shy.
Ask, and either you'll make new baseball friends, new sat friends, or go home with a dish.
All three are good outcomes. - :up

there are no feedhorn arms or anything on it. Looks like a 5 footer that they changed elevation on it because it is facing like an offset would here in MN (straight up and down)

I have seen a couple of the Bob Jones systems advertised locally, I tried to buy just the dish on one of them but they wanted to sell the complete package. I didn't find much info on their website either, just that they supply a 35" dish.

bjupress.com - Equipment FAQs | BJ HomeSat Network

Please let me know if you get more info on them, they pop up occasionally down here.

Got it installed, nice elevation adjuster. Out performs the Fortec 80cm I have.
It is exactly the same size as the Fortec approx 35H x 31W, except this dish 31H x 35W.

Got it installed, nice elevation adjuster. Out performs the Fortec 80cm I have.
It is exactly the same size as the Fortec approx 35H x 31W, except this dish 31H x 35W.

Glad to hear it's an improvement, please put up some pics sometime if you can. Any manufacturer name on it?

I think I remember the one that Iceberg remembers also, that big rolled rim looks familiar, but i can't remember who had it either. :confused:

C Band Equipment

I have been viewing this thread and it looks like some of you are looking for large dishes and/or C/Ku band equipment. I live in the Toledo, Ohio area. If anyone is interested, I have a Winegard 10 foot C/Ku mesh satellite dish and General Instrument 2650R receiver with a legal Videocipher II+ descrambler module. The dish has a horizon-to-horizon actuator motor. The dish also has a 30 degree Cal-Amp C-Band LNB and a 0.5 degree KU-Band LNB. I am selling the whole lot for 200 bucks. I am going to be selling the house next year and I want it gone.
The dish comes apart easily in 8 identical sections for easy moving. I will assist anyone with disassembly. The antenna has very little rust to speak of. The mounting brackets do have rust but it appears to be cosmetic only. The antenna mounts on a pipe and you can even have my pipe if you want to dig it out of the ground!

The receiver is not hooked up to my TV but it was working last time I checked which was about 1 year ago. The system is used, so it is sold as-is. I am getting ready to sell the house so the dish must go. If you want the 100+ feet of antenna/actuator wire and a 100+ feet of RG6, you will need to pull it out of the underground tubing.:)
I'll even throw in a spare receiver that I bought as a spare and never hooked up. Got other spare parts too that I'll throw in.

Attachments

• DSC00735.JPG
    DSC00735.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 172
  • DSC00736.JPG
    DSC00736.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 157
  • DSC00733.JPG
    DSC00733.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC00734.JPG
    DSC00734.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 169
  • DSC00738.JPG
    DSC00738.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 153
Tim -

Love the back yard and that "water feature" as the Britts would call it! - :up
Wished I lived closer. The dish would be dandy. Or even just the H-H motor. :rolleyes:

Phlat -

Yea, the elevator adjuster should be retrofittable to any little Ku dish.
Why didn't we ever think of that simple design before? :eek:
Maybe I can interest my mechanical friend in making a few dozen. :up

That looks like a Winegard Pinnacle with the AJAK H-H mount.

I would have to see the mesh close up to make sure, but it is a fine dish and the motor is great!

I already have one, and like Anole am a little too far away. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts