Adventures in Dish Hunting 2008

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Winegard dish

Thanks Anole and Linuxman for the nice replies. I do not know exactly what kind of Winegard dish it is other than it is a C/Ku variety. I just want to give it a good home:). It has a lot of good years left in it.
Tim

I think I am gonna pass on this one....

An ad popped up on freecycle, free big dish....I sent an email requesting a pic if he had one, and if he had any receivers or anything...this is what I got back...:eek:

Attachments

• satdish.jpg
    satdish.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 232
An ad popped up on freecycle, free big dish....I sent an email requesting a pic if he had one, and if he had any receivers or anything...this is what I got back...:eek:

Hey Stogie,

I'd say it is a Winegard Quadstar 10 footer.

That was my fist dish. They are a good dish when in good shape. Once the support arms get weak, they will lose Ku signals in stronger winds.

This one looks like it is already weathered a bit. :)

Another good day in dish hunting, found myself another Raydx dish which looks to be either a 7 1/2 or 8 footer in good condition. This will go great with my 10 foot Raydx...now how to make the wife happy?

Attachments

• img165.jpg
    img165.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 157
  • img166.jpg
    img166.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 156
  • img167.jpg
    img167.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
WHOA!!:eek: That's just a BIT high to climb for a dish with that much mesh gone!

Well it was a nice day for a 10 mile ride to get the the dish just not a fast trip..here's some more pictures of my fun.

Attachments

• img172.jpg
    img172.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 161
  • img171.jpg
    img171.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 154
  • img170.jpg
    img170.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 155
  • img169.jpg
    img169.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 171
one interesting ride!

Well it was a nice day for a 10 mile ride to get the the dish just not a fast trip..here's some more pictures of my fun.
Looks like a nice dish and one interesting ride! Bet you had a lot of people takng double takes at you as you went by? Did you also get the pole? I bet you could have use the scoop/plow to loosen the dirt around it thewn use it to lift it out of the hole? Anyway nice find!
Tom
:D

The people in vehicles sure were but the big thing was the horses and cows that I when by and that some got spooked by the setup. No, I didn't get the pole because I had already brought myself a 15' section of 4 1/2 inch pipe that morning from my well guy and only paid 12 dollars for it. One thing about going that slow you get to look around more and I ended up see another dish about 2 miles from home that was down in a field so I'll have to go back tonight and talk to the owner.

The people in vehicles sure were but the big thing was the horses and cows that I when by and that some got spooked by the setup. No, I didn't get the pole because I had already brought myself a 15' section of 4 1/2 inch pipe that morning from my well guy and only paid 12 dollars for it. One thing about going that slow you get to look around more and I ended up see another dish about 2 miles from home that was down in a field so I'll have to go back tonight and talk to the owner.
Hey Sergei,
That does sound like one great trip and seeing another one too. If you go and pick that one up too, maybe you should put up a sign on the back of your tractor saying you collect old dishes with your phone number. Just my thoughts, might as well advertize yourself while you're out there.
WOW, only 12 dollars for a pole!!!! I had to for out nearly 60 to 80 dollars from my well man!
Good luck,
TOM
:D

sergei has the perfect machine setup>an instant dish-removal tractor! At least it looks like he's out in the country with it. Should have every dish within 10miles in a short time lol.

It also make the ideal machine to install them or remove by yourself, especially with the Raydx dishes since removing the dish from the mount is really a bear to do. It's designed with 3 bolts at the top and 3 at the bottom. And trying to reinstall a Raydx 7 feet up without the front loader it looks to me like you need at least 3 people, unless you have a dish crane.

I think I may have come up with a use for my extra dishes, put them under my walnut trees to collect the walnuts.

Picture when I installed my 10' Raydx..

Attachments

• img153.jpg
    img153.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 174
Bad! (Baad!) BUD! (BUUD!) !!!...

I think that is a title of a Neil Sedaka song or a Weird Al parady of it!!!...

I have found several BUDs in the area for the taking. They are mostly Unimesh 7.5 footers with C/Ku feedhorns, a couple of Winegards (10' and a 7.5') which are C Band and a couple to figure out what they are/were. Most finds do not have receivers but a few do.

I think the most mind boggling thing about my ventures is the ghost stories of the Bad BUDs long gone and the few skeletons left standing. I am in shock to hear how many of the systems were hacked! It seems that the ones that the receivers "disapeared" were the ones that were hacked. Most of this activity was at least 10 years ago and before things went mostly digital. I would have to say that 9 out of 10 people did not pay anything! Was this a common thing across the country???

IT seems to be true here in Iowa, so far I've not paid anything for the dishes I have and have gotten four 920 along with the dishes.

It seams that most BUDs around here were abandoned when the analog was drying up and the "free" days were over. What receivers I did pick up were all analog and I was not lucky enough to find any that are 4DTV capable.

Hey guys, Again its been awhile....Have been busy...also have picked up a few more dishes...older bent 10fts but have srounged actuators and feed horns from them...hauled all of them (3 junk 1 good one with working reciever and a 20ft pipe for nothing).. I remember awhile back someone looking for feedhorn covers for a bud...anyone remember who and if they found any...I could fix them up with one or two...maybe more....VERY...reasonable too I might add!!!! ...I am finding lots of c band but still no KU...must not have been popular here in the northwoods...the hunt goes on....

Well yesterday I when down and picked up the dish I saw earlier, not much to look at but lots of aluminum to cut up so I added it to the scap/parts pile. At least I got what looks like a good actuator.

Attachments

• img175.jpg
    img175.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 183
  • img178.jpg
    img178.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 165
  • img179.jpg
    img179.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 162
Linixman,
I was showing the old thread to a missionary as a joke. He jumped when he saw the one someone said was photoshopped and said, "That's where I used to live in Singapore." There are no central TV systems (and little subscription as yet) so everyone has a least 2 and maybe 5 dishes!

Saved one

It must have been God pointing me in the right direction.
I FOUND A SOLID BIRDVIEW!!
I did not take a picture of how I found it and will not describe it as it will make ya'll cry:river. I will get pics of it on the trailer and during clean up, and of course its return to service.
I will be asking advise on cleaning it up and repainting. I also need a Birdview cone to cover the feedhorn.
I am so excited, I am actually calm.
WOOPEE!!!

Attachments

• Birdview front on trailer.JPG
    Birdview front on trailer.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 181
  • Birdview rear on trailer.JPG
    Birdview rear on trailer.JPG
    656.5 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Nice !
I wouldn't hesitate, either.
Hope you drive it through one of those tall car/truck self-wash places.
Give it the high pressure water, and I'm sure it'll look a lot better before you even get it home!

Might be tempted to pour a slab with studs sticking up, and drop the entire mount right onto it!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)