Adventures in Dish Hunting 2008

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Dish Tree

Hello everyone,
I found this dish or say I found this Dish Tree near me. In fact it’s in the same subdivision as mine. Just took a different entrance into the subdivision and I found the dishes. I don’t know who made the Big Dish. It looks a little like a Paraclipes but not to the extent of that design. Any Ideas as the make of it? Also I don’t know who made the smaller dish. It’s bigger then a DirecTV or Dish Networks dish. Anyway it looks like that one is abandon, in fact so does the house. I been there two days and there is never anyone home. :confused:

DISHTREE_0001.jpg

Thanks,

Tom

:D

Attachments

• DISHTREE_0002.jpg
    DISHTREE_0002.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 180
  • DISHTREE_00011.jpg
    DISHTREE_00011.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 201
  • DISHTREE_00010.jpg
    DISHTREE_00010.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 171
  • DISHTREE_0009.jpg
    DISHTREE_0009.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 193
  • DISHTREE_0008.jpg
    DISHTREE_0008.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 177
  • DISHTREE_0007.jpg
    DISHTREE_0007.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 179
  • DISHTREE_0006.jpg
    DISHTREE_0006.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 199
  • DISHTREE_0005.jpg
    DISHTREE_0005.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 148
  • DISHTREE_0004.jpg
    DISHTREE_0004.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 173
  • DISHTREE_0003.jpg
    DISHTREE_0003.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 207
  • DISHTREE_00012.jpg
    DISHTREE_00012.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 180
Great find!!

I saw a similar big dish like that a while back. It was very close to this one, but can't remember the name on it right now. I am pretty sure I posted a picture of it in the super long adventures thread somewhere. It wasn't in near as good shape as this one is.

Good Luck getting both of them. :)

I remember a local warehouse club in the late 80's early 90's selling a satellite system for $999. The dish hung from the rafters. I remember it looked like a knock off of a Paraclipse. The brand was Janeil. Whether or not that was a "made for label" I do not know.

Janeil

I remember a local warehouse club in the late 80's early 90's selling a satellite system for $999. The dish hung from the rafters. I remember it looked like a knock off of a Paraclipse. The brand was Janeil. Whether or not that was a "made for label" I do not know.
I think you are right, I seem to remember now a mention of a Janeil dish and thinking it looked a lot like a Paraclipse. The frame looks sturdy however the framing that goes around the dish looked afully thinner then other dishes to me.

I guess the smaller dish that is shown is harder to come up with a name? Maybe because its solid material they were massed produced? Still in all both of them look to be good find especiaaly if I can get them! :hungry:

Thanks,
Tom

Great find!!

Great find!!

I saw a similar big dish like that a while back. It was very close to this one, but can't remember the name on it right now. I am pretty sure I posted a picture of it in the super long adventures thread somewhere. It wasn't in near as good shape as this one is.

Good Luck getting both of them. :)
Thanks Fred, I'm working on that now in getting them. I'll let you know if it's a happening!! ;)

Thank,
Tom

Wow! that brings back memories.. Well, actually I just saw one of my fliers from back then. They had a breakthrough price and they drop shipped from the central warehouse. I never touched one, but did get a commission off at least one! I will try to find the flyer again and send it to Iceberg! He might want to figure a place to post it -- for the memories if nothing else!

Wow! that brings back memories.. Well, actually I just saw one of my fliers from back then. They had a breakthrough price and they drop shipped from the central warehouse. I never touched one, but did get a commission off at least one! I will try to find the flyer again and send it to Iceberg! He might want to figure a place to post it -- for the memories if nothing else!

we had a thread a while back about the memories :)

http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-satellite-discussion/100271-here-blast-past.html

and a list of what was on C-Band & KU Band in 88 ;)
http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-satellite-discussion/89343-c-ku-band-listings-1988-a.html

Hello everyone,
I found this dish or say I found this Dish Tree near me. In fact it’s in the same subdivision as mine. Just took a different entrance into the subdivision and I found the dishes. I don’t know who made the Big Dish. It looks a little like a Paraclipes but not to the extent of that design. Any Ideas as the make of it? Also I don’t know who made the smaller dish. It’s bigger then a DirecTV or Dish Networks dish. Anyway it looks like that one is abandon, in fact so does the house. I been there two days and there is never anyone home. :confused:

Thanks,

Tom

Hey everybody,
I finally made contact with the owner today. Yesterday afternoon I went over there and again no one was home. The next door neighbor was. I learned that he owns the Pennzoil 10 Minute oil change in town here. So I went over to talk to him. The big Janeil dish is now mine for Free! Going to pick it up Sunday. He still wants the smaller dish. He said that he got it to watch TV Stations from the Middle East. That he had somebody work on it and after they were finished he could no longer see his programs. Does anybody know what Satellite features those Middle East, European stations? I told him I would try to find out for him.

Thanks,
Tom

There's one thing this FTAlist has that's useful, and it is which satellite has which language.
Pick a language, then see which birds carry 'em.

Maybe if you know which TV service he wants, you can pick it right off this list.
Select the language(s) he wants, then print out that page and take it with you.
I'm sure he'd know the channel if he saw it listed.

oh, this is my 3000'th post... time to get the gag, eh? - :D

It is always nice to get a free dish

Oh and BTW,

It is always nice to get a free dish. :)
Fred, my thinking as well! And it was even nice to talk to an owner who still wasn't living in the past thinking that they layed out 3 grand for it (Satellite Dish) even though this guy may have gotten it like skitheberks said at a local warehouse club for $999. It was good to hear "yeah take it it's yours!" Made my day!:cool:

Thanks,
Tom:D

Local Find

I'll second that, and congrats on your find, Tom. And you didn't even have to drive halfway across the U.S. of A. to find one! :D
Hi Phlatwound,
Thank you. Yes it is nice to find it local. Imagine just taking a different road will do for you!! ;):up And finding it in the same subdivion as you live! :eek::cool:

Not discounting any trips that aren't too far from me. Just going to make sure what the finds will be are good shape.

Thanks,
Tom

went up to our cabin today to meet the propane guy (he had to change the regulator on the propane tank) and remembered to take my camera...and to see maybe what I could get

Our cabin is a couple hours north of Minneapolis and before Dish/Direct there really wasn't much of TV. So I've seen a few C-Band dishes.

This one I always see when I go by so I finally stopped and took a couple pics. Its always aimed that way so I figured "maybe its not being used". Directions in this area are goofy as the lake isn't round (Lake Mille Lacs) and the road goes N/NW/NE along the lake. So after some quick directions (and how high up it is), I'm thinking this is at true south (G26)...so went and knocked and spoke to the owner. Big Indian guy (after all...this is an Indian reservation where I was) :D and he chuckled when I asked him about the Dish. Not for sale. Not to take :(
I asked if he was using it and he said "yep". After talking with him, he has it for the Nets on G4 (remember.....no OTA around there). I smiled and thanked him for talking to me.

Attachments

• 000_0449.jpg
    000_0449.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 181
  • 000_0448.jpg
    000_0448.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 194
This group is right down the road from the cabin and every time I've stopped nobody has been home.

That middle one I don't think is aimed at anything considering the one on the left is aimed what looks like its just off true south (maybe G4??) and the right one I don't know...possible AMC6

that piece of timber to the right of the 1st dish use to have a dish500 but that's gone
They also have parts of 2 dishes on the ground :(:(

left dish looks like a 7 1/2 foot and right one is a 10 foot for sure...maybe bigger

Attachments

• 000_0450.jpg
    000_0450.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 197
  • 000_0451.jpg
    000_0451.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 188
  • 000_0452.jpg
    000_0452.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 180
  • 000_0453.jpg
    000_0453.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 218
  • 000_0454.jpg
    000_0454.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 209
  • 000_0455.jpg
    000_0455.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 232
In your last picture above, it looks like the LNB cover is open and he's letting the wasps out! - :D

Hate to see beached buds in the middle shot!
Doesn't he know they're an endangered species?

As for your solid at the Indan's house, doesn't that look familiar from earlier in this thread or another?
Eight big petals and fiberglass...

edit: Oh, and I'm calling not plumb on the wasp nest BUD ! It's leanin' way over.

but that actuator on that one facing East looks damn near brand new

and the 1st one (the Indian guy) that actuator looks rusted on G4....forgot to grab a pic of the actuator

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)