AL CENTRAL

Cleveland Inidans Adjust Roster

About a week ago, Eric Wedge and Mark Shapiro made their preliminary moves with the 2009 roster by optioning a few players to their respective minor league clubs (Jon Meloan to Columbus, Carlos Santana to Akron, etc.).

Others like David Huff and Beau Mills were sent to minor league camp.

With the start of the season now eight days away, we have our second wave of transactions.

The following players have been optioned to Triple-A Columbus:

LHP Jeremy Sowers
C Wyatt Toregas

The following players have been re-assigned to minor league camp:

RHP Greg Aquino
INF Michael Aubrey
RHP Kirk Saarloos
OF Matt LaPorta
OF Michael Brantley

Three things jump out to me with this (relatively expected) move.

1) This year marks Sowers’ final option. It’s essentially make-or-break for the kid who looked very promising not all that long ago. He had flashes of brilliance last season, but was just not the same as he was during his debut campaign. If he doesn’t find a way to get back in the mix, he may find himself on a different squad within the next year or two.

2) With Sowers given the heave to Columbus, the 5th starter appears to be a two-man race. Many had Aaron Laffey pegged as the chosen one, but a late surge by last season’s surprise Scott Lewis has made things interesting. Both Sheldon Ocker and Terry Pluto think that Lewis gets the nod, with Laffey using up another option. Though Zach Jackson is also technically in the mix, it looks more and more like the team wants his arm in the bullpen. We’ll find out about this one sooner than later.

3) LaPorta and Brantley were sent down, which is something we all saw coming. There’s a good shot that we see LaPorta this year, and theres an even better shot that both of these guys have a very successful 2009 campaign for the Clippers. But one OFer that still remains with the Tribe is Trevor Crowe. So, even with David Dellucci “hitting the ball with authority,” the Indians are not completely ready to move Crowe to Columbus. Josh Barfield also remains with the team.

There are currently 37 players still doing their thing in Goodyear, Arizona.

A couple of interesting games this past week for my Tigers. First we get no-hit, and then our new closer gives up four consecutive HR's. Just when I thought our bullpen was looking pretty good. On the positive side, it's unlikely for Lyons to duplicate the 4 HR's. He had only given up one so far this spring, and he only gave up 2, all season in 2007.

Indians Rotation Finalized! It's LEWIS!

lewis-300x202.jpg

According to the Associated Press, [ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2009/news/story?id=4014932"]Scott Lewis, Anthony Reyes named Cleveland Indians' fourth, fifth starters - ESPN[/ame] for your 2009 Cleveland Indians. Lewis has beaten out fellow left-hander Aaron Laffey, who was sent down to AAA Columbus today.

Heading into Camp, GM Mark Shapiro had said that Laffey was the front runner and it seemed as if it was his job to lose. The former Ohio State Buckeye Lewis was seen as more of an after-thought choice behind Laffey to get one of the last two openings in the starting rotation. But he opened many eyes with his 4-0 September call-up and picked up right where he left off in Goodyear, going 1-1 with a 3.52 ERA in five appearances.

Shapiro was quoted over the weekend praising Lewis: “Scott Lewis has probably been the most consistent of the group,” said Shapiro. “He’s pounded the strike zone. Commanded his fastball. He’s shown the ability to throw his breaking ball for strikes as well.”

Interestingly, Lewis will take the 4th slot, with Anthony Reyes being the 5th starter. According to the PD’s Paul Hoynes it is so Reyes can get the extra rest. Said the newly crowned 4th starter: “I came in here trying to make the team and get ready for the season, like I always do. It was a little different this year because of the competition, but it didn’t get to me too much. I’ve been able to block everything out when I get on the mound. You get back to pitching again.”

http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/?p=9263

A bright spot for sure. Howevere, an unknown commodity till we see how the surgery affected him. But it sure is nice to have that arm to add to your arsenal.

Very true. Usually following Tommy John surgery, you're not back to full health for an entire year later. Fellow Tribe fanatics shouldn't count on much from Westy this year once he comes back in July.

Tigers Minor League Affiliate offering big burger

Mich. baseball park to offer 4,800-calorie burgers

Well, at least the salsa is low-cal. The West Michigan Whitecaps, a minor league baseball team, will be offering up major league cholesterol, carbohydrates and calories in an enormous hamburger being added to the menu this year at the Fifth Third Ballpark.
The 4-pound, $20 burger features five beef patties, five slices of cheese, nearly a cup of chili and liberal doses of salsa and corn chips, all on an 8-inch sesame-seed bun. That's a lot of dough!
The Grand Rapids Press reports that anyone who eats the entire 4,800-calorie behemoth in one sitting will receive a special T-shirt. Saner fans can divide it up with a pizza cutter and share.
The Midwest League team is a Class A affiliate of the Detroit Tigers.

I predict Wozniak becomes a season-ticket holder!:D:D:D:D

OK, who actually PLAYS sports?

Shaq once had a video game of his own- a fighting game!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)