AL CENTRAL

He will hit only .220. That's the price for a better defense, and defense WAS a major problem on the left side of the infield. Better defense helps your pitching staff. Nothing like seeing routine groundballs finding their way into LF, giving the opposing team an extra out. Inge is one of the best defensively at the position. Hitting? We got plenty of that in this line-up.

I agree.

Realistically, even with myself being a White Sox fan, I don't think they will repeat as division champs.

I think it's Detroit's division to lose and Cleveland right there. Both of their offenses are talented enough to play with anyone. Detroit needs Verlander and their bullpen to bounce back along with Zach Miner and Bonderman to hover around .500 each. Cleveland's 4th and 5th starters don't scare anyone at this point. I think Hafner is their big question assuming he's ready to go for opening day.

I think Minnesota is maybe a 1/2 step behind these two. While they arguably have the best rotation 1-5 in this division, and arguably the best defense, their 7-9 hitters aren't exactly top notch offense--except for Gomez's speed on the basepaths.

White Sox have issues at CF, 3B, and 2B (with Alexei Ramirez now at SS) and have an aging Konerko and Thome clogging up their basepaths. 4th and 5th fifth starters may be issues, too.

I'd guess the following:
1. Detroit 89-73
2. Cleveland 88-74
3. Minnesota 86-76
4. Chicago 82-80
5. Kansas City 74-88

Realistically, even with myself being a White Sox fan, I don't think they will repeat as division champs.

I think it's Detroit's division to lose and Cleveland right there. Both of their offenses are talented enough to play with anyone. Detroit needs Verlander and their bullpen to bounce back along with Zach Miner and Bonderman to hover around .500 each. Cleveland's 4th and 5th starters don't scare anyone at this point. I think Hafner is their big question assuming he's ready to go for opening day.

I think Minnesota is maybe a 1/2 step behind these two. While they arguably have the best rotation 1-5 in this division, and arguably the best defense, their 7-9 hitters aren't exactly top notch offense--except for Gomez's speed on the basepaths.

White Sox have issues at CF, 3B, and 2B (with Alexei Ramirez now at SS) and have an aging Konerko and Thome clogging up their basepaths. 4th and 5th fifth starters may be issues, too.

I'd guess the following:
1. Detroit 89-73
2. Cleveland 88-74
3. Minnesota 86-76
4. Chicago 82-80
5. Kansas City 74-88

Wow 89 for the tigers...I think the "marlboro" man Leyland would get his extention. He currently is in the last year of his deal and has not been given an extention

I'd guess the following:
1. Detroit 89-73
2. Cleveland 88-74
3. Minnesota 86-76
4. Chicago 82-80
5. Kansas City 74-88

I love your optimism for Detroit! Just two things -

#1 - The fifth spot will probably go to either Dontrelle Willis or Nate Robertson, both of who are left-handed. The rest of the rotation as well as Zach Minor are righties. Minor would only get that slot if the the lefties don't make the grade. I don't like the Tiger's chances with an all right-handed rotation.

#2 - I would be happy to see 200 innings out of Bonderman this season, but if he 's hovering around .500, more than likely so will the Tigers.

I love your optimism for Detroit! Just two things -

#1 - The fifth spot will probably go to either Dontrelle Willis or Nate Robertson, both of who are left-handed. The rest of the rotation as well as Zach Minor are righties. Minor would only get that slot if the the lefties don't make the grade. I don't like the Tiger's chances with an all right-handed rotation.

#2 - I would be happy to see 200 innings out of Bonderman this season, but if he 's hovering around .500, more than likely so will the Tigers.

Edwin Jackson was a solid pickup for the Tigers. He won 14 games for Tampa last season.

I don't know about the Tigers, but Im fairly confident Cleveland will not win the AL Central this year.

As far as Kansas City, I know they are out of it also, and I truely think its going to be between the Chicago and the Minesota Twins

I'd guess the following:
1. Detroit 89-73
2. Cleveland 88-74
3. Minnesota 86-76
4. Chicago 82-80
5. Kansas City 74-88

I appreciate your post, but I will have to disagree. You point to Cleveland's 4th and 5th starters as question marks, yet Detroit's back end of the rotation is just as risky. It's been well documented over the last few seasons that D-Willis is no longer an ML level pitcher. His skills are diminishing faster than my 401k. And for the sake of arguing, I consider the Tigers and Indians starting staff a wash.

Now onto the offense. Both teams have a top 5 offense. Cleveland was #7 overall and Detroit was #5 in 2007. On paper, you'll have to give the slight edge to Detroit, but consider the Indians were without two of their best offensive players for most of last year in Travis Hafner and Victor Martinez. With these guys back and at full health, watch out! Final verdict: Too close to call.

Now, the bullpen. Both Detroit and Cleveland were near the bottom of the league last year in saves. Last year, they couldn't settle on a closer, bouncing guys in and out on a trial basis. Has anything been done to correct this glaring hole? For Detroit, no. For Cleveland, yes. The Tribe went out and signed the 2nd best closer available in Kerry Wood. The dominant set-up guys already in place (Raffy Betancourt, Raffy Perez and Jenson Lewis) are well documented. Last year, all of them failed to get comfortable in their changing roles without a proven closer to anchor the staff. That is now corrected. Everyone else should fall into place. Major advantage: Cleveland.

Look out AL Central. I think it's gonna be an Indian Summer! Wooo whooo!!!!

I appreciate your post, but I will have to disagree. You point to Cleveland's 4th and 5th starters as question marks, yet Detroit's back end of the rotation is just as risky. It's been well documented over the last few seasons that D-Willis is no longer an ML level pitcher. His skills are diminishing faster than my 401k. And for the sake of arguing, I consider the Tigers and Indians starting staff a wash.

Now onto the offense. Both teams have a top 5 offense. Cleveland was #7 overall and Detroit was #5 in 2007. On paper, you'll have to give the slight edge to Detroit, but consider the Indians were without two of their best offensive players for most of last year in Travis Hafner and Victor Martinez. With these guys back and at full health, watch out! Final verdict: Too close to call.

Now, the bullpen. Both Detroit and Cleveland were near the bottom of the league last year in saves. Last year, they couldn't settle on a closer, bouncing guys in and out on a trial basis. Has anything been done to correct this glaring hole? For Detroit, no. For Cleveland, yes. The Tribe went out and signed the 2nd best closer available in Kerry Wood. The dominant set-up guys already in place (Raffy Betancourt, Raffy Perez and Jenson Lewis) are well documented. Last year, all of them failed to get comfortable in their changing roles without a proven closer to anchor the staff. That is now corrected. Everyone else should fall into place. Major advantage: Cleveland.

I think the starting pitching and bull pen...is a major question mark, Will bonderman rebound from injury. Verlander get back some of his nast stuff, Can N. Robertson be a "solid" 200 inning guy. What will Willis pitch like?

I think the bullpen will be ok....Just keep all boxes and Guitar Hero games from Zumaya

Travis Hafner: "I've never used steroids"

Travis Hafner made his big-league debut with Texas in 2002. Alex Rodriguez, Rafael Palmeiro, Juan Gonzalez and Ivan Rodriguez, a rogue's gallery of admitted and alleged steroid users, were his teammates.

Could that be what's gone wrong with Hafner over the last two seasons with the Indians? Although he's never tested positive for steroids -- MLB had no official testing policy until 2004 -- is his body breaking down and his power vanishing from past use of performance enhancing drugs?
"I've never used steroids," Hafner said Saturday.
Hafner joined the Rangers in August of 2002. Like most rookies, he kept his eyes open and his mouth shut.
"I only spent a month and a half in the big leagues," he said. "I didn't really talk to many of the veteran guys. I really didn't know the club that well. As a young guy, I didn't notice anything.

"By the time I was in Triple-A, I was weighing 250 pounds," said Hafner, acquired by the Indians after the 2002 season. "There was never any temptation to do it because I wasn't at the point where I wanted to get any bigger.

"Certainly with everything going on, it's nice to know you haven't done anything and don't have to worry about anything."
Hafner said he's never used steroids for two reasons.

"The first thing, I was scared what it would do to my body health-wise," he said. "You see lots of guys with heart problems, different things like that. That was probably the main thing. You don't want to hurt your body for down the road.

"And it was illegal."

As I'm looking at my Indians '09 schedule which is hanging just next to my desk, my Indians play...

vs. St. Louis
vs. Milwaukee
@ Chicago Cubs
@ Pittsburgh
vs. Cincinnati

IMO the Pirates and Indians should play every year. More of a rival than the Reds.

IMO the Pirates and Indians should play every year. More of a rival than the Reds.

I agree. The two states despise each other. Plus, this would be payback for your Steelers always beating our Browns. ;)

The MLB scheduling the Indians to play the Reds every year seems forced. Neither team gets too excited for this inter-state game.

HD,
I agree with most of what you've said here .... except the bullpen....
Cleveland had NO CHOICE to go out and upgrade the bullpen.
Detroit HAS the guys there, but they were injured....
Zumaya by all reports is doing great this year, obviously it's way early... I have not heard anything about Rodney yet.
I HAVE heard that Willis is happy again and supposivly pitching well, of course , no word if thats bullpen work or with people in the box.

You mentioned that the Indians had offensive injuries - and they did ... but you failed to mention the Tigers pitching injuries.....
Verlander's reports are very positive so far as well.
Different pitching coach, noticed a mechanical issue, he's got his POP back as Leyland said !

Jimbo