AL CENTRAL

The starting pitching, outside of Verlander's first start has been very good. The Bullpen has also done some great work the last couple of games. Sure beats 0-6, which is where we were last year at this point. Cabrera is off to an amazing start,

The starting pitching, outside of Verlander's first start has been very good. The Bullpen has also done some great work the last couple of games. Sure beats 0-6, which is where we were last year at this point. Cabrera is off to an amazing start,

Cabrera says he has felt comfortable coming into the season, something that took a long time for him last year with all the changes being done with the lineup.

Brandon Inge also looks much more comfortable knowing that he'll be in the lineup and know where he'll play. :D
Inge is hitting .304 at this early stage and has 4 HR's and 7 rbi !

Cabrera hitting an amazing .520 so far !

Jimbo

Nice to see Inge off to a great start. I am thrilled right now with the Bullpen, nice series coming up with the sox

Nice to see Inge off to a great start. I am thrilled right now with the Bullpen, nice series coming up with the sox

This is what they had hoped for when they decided to put Brandon in one place, particularly back to 3B where he does his best.
He no longer has to think about catching, that also has to help.

Notes During the Home Opener

He was....I wonder if he's still there. its almost 9PM and its still in delay (although it stopped raining at my house a while ago). If he stays for all 9, he's truly a diehard. :)

I stayed until the 5th. By then, it was evident the rain wasn't going to let up. It was windy and temperatures had to be below 40°F. If I stayed I most likely would've been treated for double pneumonia! It was a NASTY day for baseball!

As soon as I made it back to the car, I heard on the radio they went to a rain delay. It turned out I made the right call. The game didn't resume until nearly 4 hours later! :eek:

I ended up going out to dinner and watching the Cavs/Sixers game in it's entirety before the Indians game came back on! At the start of the game, it was a sellout with over 40,000 in attendance. By the time the game resumed, there were less than 1,500 fans left.

With that said, I don't regret going down there to see the start of the home opener one bit. The National Anthem played by the Ohio State University spring band gave me goosebumps. The tribute to late, great Herb Score and the video of career highlights to the tune of "The Ballad of Herb Score" got me choked up. Then before first pitch, the crowd was instructed to a moment of silent for the late Nick Adenhart. The crowd of 40k+ stood in silence with their heads bowed and their caps over their heart in prayer. A very moving opener to say the least.

The weather wasn't the best, but that Friday afternoon symbolized the start of a new season for my Cleveland Indians. Go Tribe!

Last edited:
Week 1 Recap: Cleveland Indians

Let me summarize the fist 2 series' (6 games) so far by my Tribe....

Game 1 @ Texas: Cliff Lee got rocked and didn't make it past the 5th. The opposing pitcher, Kevin Millwood looked like the former Cy Young winner and not Cliff Lee.

Game 2 @ Texas: Same story as game 1. This time, Fausto Carmona didn't make it past the 5th. The Tribe offense showed a little more resiliency though by scoring 5 runs.

Game 3 @ Texas: Carl Pavano epically failed his first start as an Indian. C-Pav gave up 9 runs in 2 innings of work! Like the previous two games, Indians pitching gave up too many runs for the offense to comeback.

Game 4 vs. Blue Jays: During the home opener we were in it until the 4 hour rain delay. Once play resumed, our bullpen floundered while the Jays' came up strong. The weather was so bad, it was tough to critique anyone on this day. On a sour note, starting pitcher Scott Lewis was sent to the the 15-day DL because of forearm stiffness. He looked sharp until the 4th, which was when he gave up the lead. In his defense, this was the same inning he complained of the injury.

Game 5 vs. Blue Jays: The highlight of the night happened in the bottom of the 9th with 2 outs. Mark DeRosa had a 3 run, base clearing double to put the game at 4-5. In the end, the Indians fell 1 run short of a final inning comeback. The next batter (Victor Martinez) struck out to end the game.

Game 6 vs. Blue Jays: Finally a noteworthy starting pitching performance! This time by Anthony Reyes. Finally a starter who get's through 6 innings of work! Coincidence we got our first win? I think not. Indians win: 8-4.

*Notes:

-It's not time to panic yet Tribe fans. Slow starts are par for the course during the Eric Wedge era. The 2005 Indians started 9-14 in the month of April, but ended up winning 93 games that year.

-I've seen progression from this club in their fist week. Our offense can mash with the best in the league. Our bullpen is dominant as long as they can maintain a normal routine and know their roles. All of this of course will hinge on consistent starting pitching. If our starters can make it to the 6th, I like our chances against anybody. This week, look for Cliffy & Fausto to rebound. I'm not too sure about C-Pav, but he can't do much worse. Anthony Reyes should be the #3 pitcher. He's looked good ever since a late trade last year.

-In Cliff Lee's 2nd outing (game 5), he did start to look like he figured something out after the 3rd inning. Hopefully it was just a slow start for Cliffy and he'll start to resemble last year's form in his next outing.

-Going into the season, one of my biggest concerns was Travis Hafner. Last year he had a mysterious lingering shoulder injury that seemed to hamper his swing speed and power. Some, including a well known local radio sports talk personality said they wouldn't be surprised if Hafner was out of baseball completely by the end of '09. That's how serious this injury was! Well, wouldn't you know it, ol' Pronk is proving everyone wrong. In 5 games, Pronk is averaging .313 with 3 home runs and 6 RBI! But don't call it a comeback. Pronk's been here for years!

-It's nice to have a flame throwing closer again. This is the first time we've had a strike-out closer since Joe Table (Jose Mesa). In yesterday's win, Kerry Wood struck out the side. In two innings of work so far this year, Wood has 6 strike outs! The slowest fast-ball he's thrown so far this year has been 94mph. Woah!

Last edited:
Game 3 @ Texas: Carl Pavano epically failed his first start as an Indian. C-Pav gave up 9 runs in 2 innings of work! Like the previous two games, Indians pitching gave up too many runs for the offense to comeback.

:eek::eek::eek::eek: For some reason, I don't think that was an abberation....I hope I'm wrong. When is Westbrook coming back? :)

Game 4 vs. Blue Jays: During the home opener we were in it until the 4 hour rain delay. Once play resumed, our bullpen floundered while the Jays' came up strong. On a sour note, starting pitcher Scott Lewis is sent to the the 15-day DL because of forearm stiffness. He looked sharp until the 4th, which was when he gave up the lead. In his defense, this was the same inning he complained of the injury.

The bullpen made me sick to my stomach that night....giving up the lead like that after we battled back.

Game 6 vs. Blue Jays: Finally a noteworthy starting pitching performance! This time by Anthony Reyes. Finally a starter who get's through 6 innings of work! Coincidence we got our first win? I think not. Indians win: 8-4.

Reyes needs to stay healthy....he could be huge for us this year.

-Going into the season, one of my biggest concerns was Travis Hafner. Last year he had a mysterious lingering shoulder injury that seemed to hamper his swing speed and power. Some, including a well known local radio sports talk personality said they wouldn't be surprised if Hafner was out of baseball completely by the end of '09. That's how serious this injury was! Well, wouldn't you know it, ol' Pronk is proving everyone wrong. In 5 games, Pronk is averaging .313 with 3 home runs and 6 RBI! But don't call it a comeback. Pronk's been here for years!

Lol. At the beginning of the year, if you would have told me Pronk would have had those numbers after 1 week and the indians would be 1-5, I would have taken it.

-It's nice to have a flame throwing closer again. This is the first time we've had a strike-out closer since Joe Table (Jose Mesa). In yesterday's win, Kerry Wood struck out the side. In two innings of work so far this year, Wood has 6 strike outs! The slowest fast-ball he's thrown so far this year has been 94mph. Woah!

Amen! Big difference from Wickman and Jo-bo.

Stirring comeback yesterday. 6 runs in the bottom of the 8th. Bullpen has pitched 22 consecutive innings without giving up a run. This is starting to feel a little like '06 again.

Cavs playoff tickets: Free through work
Large beer: $7
Cavs sending Pistons home after a first round whooping: PRICELESS! :D

Ouch....HD that one stings a bit :), but I do feel for you with the Indians start, I remember our start last year. In regards to the pistons, I think it would be better if they did not make the playoffs this year, thats just me though!

Mine too. What's the point of a first round beatdown. The Playoff's are nice if you haven't been there recently, but a lottery pick along with all that cap space would have been sweet.

Ouch....HD that one stings a bit :), but I do feel for you with the Indians start, I remember our start last year. In regards to the pistons, I think it would be better if they did not make the playoffs this year, thats just me though!

We'll be all right. Our offense is healthy and I like our bullpen. Those were two of our biggest issues last year. The only hitch this year is whether or not our starting pitching can hang in there until Westbrook comes back. If so, no one's going to remember this slow start in a few months from now.

Amen! Big difference from Wickman and Jo-bo.

The first hand reports are in and Kerry Wood's are stellar!....

I was there for a first peak at Wood and lucky enough to be sitting just 8 rows back and close to home plate. Never saw him pitch in person before but from the excellent perspective of my seat his stuff is just flat out nasty, electric. Threw two balls and then got busy, just overpowered everybody. Still trying to figure out the source of his velocity. He doesn’t have a high leg kick, there’s no violence in his motion, just a very smooth delivery, like he’s tossing to someone at a picnic. Wow.

After attending Sunday’s game against the Jays, I am even more excited. Standing up, cheering and going crazy with two strikes when Bob Wickman or Joe Borowski is on the mound is pure courtesy. Standing up and going crazy with two strikes when Kerry Wood is on the mound is pure bliss. When you do it for Borowski or Wickman, it is because you are supposed to. When you do it for Kerry Wood, you just might get rewarded with a blazing 98 mile per hour strikeout pitch like we were given yesterday.
Yesterday I was able to lose myself in the excitement of welcoming Kerry Wood to the closer’s role. Yesterday he didn’t disappoint. He mixed speeds nastily. He followed up 95 mile per hour heaters with 83 mile per hour off-speed pitches that must have appeared in slow motion to the hitters. Hopefully that trend continues.
Right now it just feels so good to have a guy throwing in the mid to high 90’s to close out games. I hope he gets a lot of opportunities this year to save games. Welcome to Cleveland, Kerry. Your rocket arm is a sight for sore eyes.

:eek:

Man those Sox bats seem to always boom against us!

On a unrelated AL Central note, it appears that this years version of the Yankees will not be going 162-0 :)

OK, who actually PLAYS sports?

Shaq once had a video game of his own- a fighting game!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)