AMC-9 Issues

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
I am getting word this morning from our friends at Luken immunization’s that the AMC-9 satellite is experiencing issues.

This outage is not only has Luken Stations down. It also others who use that satellite.

This issue started at 3:06 am EDT.

There are no further updates at this time.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

AMC-9 is getting on up in age. It will soon have been in service for 14 years, it was launched in June 2003 and began service shortly thereafter. At 14 years, I am not surprised it is having hiccups. I wonder if there is a replacement scheduled for 83W?

Heh, I didn't see this thread before I posted one in the Cband section. Someone can go ahead and delete that one.

I'll bet The Russians did it!! :shh

Rick posted over at his forum that AMC9 left it's orbital slot at 3am. If that's the case I wonder if they even have control of the bird, or there is some sort of major malfunction. Best case , if control was somehow lost to where the bird floated away, it would have gone into the mode where try's to locate the sun and regain communication. I cant remember what the mode is called exactly but it's an emergency mode if the satellite looses telemetry and control it does a flip to locate the sun and try's to establish communication of off one of the s-band antennas.

Last edited:
Solar activity last 24 hours may have caused a re-set to safe mode. Any beacon would be a good sign, meaning it might be recoverable and there is power to at least part of the system including telemetry and engineering. The transponder system would only be re-activated when everything has stabilized... hope for the best!

Hooked the cable to my SDR and tuned to 11800. Defiantly no comms going on. Either a beacon or someone trying to call home or vice versa. Just a steady morse code.

From what I am hearing it appears the bird is lost.

Luken is working on moving its channels to another bird now, when I know more I will pass it along.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

IMG_6286.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)