Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
I am getting word this morning from our friends at Luken immunization’s that the AMC-9 satellite is experiencing issues.

This outage is not only has Luken Stations down. It also others who use that satellite.

This issue started at 3:06 am EDT.

There are no further updates at this time.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

AMC-9 is getting on up in age. It will soon have been in service for 14 years, it was launched in June 2003 and began service shortly thereafter. At 14 years, I am not surprised it is having hiccups. I wonder if there is a replacement scheduled for 83W?

Heh, I didn't see this thread before I posted one in the Cband section. Someone can go ahead and delete that one.

I'll bet The Russians did it!! :shh

Rick posted over at his forum that AMC9 left it's orbital slot at 3am. If that's the case I wonder if they even have control of the bird, or there is some sort of major malfunction. Best case , if control was somehow lost to where the bird floated away, it would have gone into the mode where try's to locate the sun and regain communication. I cant remember what the mode is called exactly but it's an emergency mode if the satellite looses telemetry and control it does a flip to locate the sun and try's to establish communication of off one of the s-band antennas.

Last edited:
Solar activity last 24 hours may have caused a re-set to safe mode. Any beacon would be a good sign, meaning it might be recoverable and there is power to at least part of the system including telemetry and engineering. The transponder system would only be re-activated when everything has stabilized... hope for the best!

Hooked the cable to my SDR and tuned to 11800. Defiantly no comms going on. Either a beacon or someone trying to call home or vice versa. Just a steady morse code.

From what I am hearing it appears the bird is lost.

Luken is working on moving its channels to another bird now, when I know more I will pass it along.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

IMG_6286.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)