any chance for a new dual tuner ota dongle?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Has anyone started to lose channel signals at night on a channel that scanned at 100% mid day at 100 degrees. Would think the hotter it is would be time not to receive signal not at middle of night. Only happening on 2 of the 11 channels I get.

I don’t know if this is your problem but some TV stations are required to reduce their transmission power at night since their signal can carry farther possibly causing interference with another station. Heat can cause a satellite LNB to have problems but heat should not affect an OTA antenna. The reason RF can travel farther at night is because the sun can cause interference during the day.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

That may have been true back in the analog days, but I have not heard of any stations required to reduce power at night after the digital transition. Maybe Trip can shed some light on this.

I did an internet search and I think you may be correct. I know AM Radio stations are still required to reduce their power at night because their signal goes farther due to reflection from the ionosphere. This effect is called sky wave propagation. AVS forum talked about a situation where someone would lose TV signal at night because of interference from a neighboring station which traveled farther at night.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

AVS forum talked about a situation where someone would lose TV signal at night because of interference from a neighboring station which traveled farther at night

Tropospheric ducting can affect TV reception, usually late at night or early in the morning. This is the phenomenon that allows a frequency to temporarily carry at long distances (sometimes hundreds of miles). They say this effect may be reduced with the repack, however. Out here, all our major networks are 1000 kW (one million watts). At 45 miles from the towers, I've not personally seen any of those stations overcome by a distant station. I have, however, seen it happen on low power stations (15 kW and less).

This link shows the furthest stations my antenna has ever tuned. Currently, it looks like WHWC LaCrosse, WI is the furthest I've picked up during a ducting event. That's 474 miles away. RabbitEars Mobile

Last edited:
I know AM Radio stations are still required to reduce their power at night because their signal goes farther due to reflection from the ionosphere

I think this is still correct. Growing up in SW Ohio, I had heard stories of how 700 WLW used to carry thousands of miles at night. In fact, I can still pick it up regularly here in the Kansas City area at night. In 1934, WLW was considered a "clear channel" station (not the company) and at 500 kW, it was rumored that some folks near the transmitter could pick it up on their bed springs!

I think this is still correct. Growing up in SW Ohio, I had heard stories of how 700 WLW used to carry thousands of miles at night. In fact, I can still pick it up regularly here in the Kansas City area at night. In 1934, WLW was considered a "clear channel" station (not the company) and at 500 kW, it was rumored that some folks near the transmitter could pick it up on their bed springs!

I remember my dad listening to WSM grand ole opry in south central Indiana on a 60’s “transistor “ radio.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
But I was listening on a transistor radio! ;)

So was I, but at the time transistors were t built to handle that kind of power. Consider this, in the late 70’s there were still a lot of tube driven TVs. And every drug store had a tube tester and replacement tubes. At least in RCA’s hometown.

Reactions: TheKrell
My H3 went through a software update last night. I know this because the Home Media app in the main menu, which I use on a daily basis, has changed location and now there is a new message app. I also know because now none of the timers for local channels are running. I have daily timers for: 4am network newscast; 7am CBS Morning News; 10am The View, 5:30pm NBC Nightly News. None of these are showing up on the scheduled recording rundown. Only thing showing up are the timers setup on cable type channels, No local broadcast channel timers show up. All the daily local timers along with 3 primetime shows for tonight are no shows for the rest of the week which is ending on Monday. There should be a weeks worth so it should have a schedule through Wed. It's not a case of my timer list has been wiped out. All timers are still in the timer list.

It is always wonderful talking to Dish Tech support. They apparently have the India call center thing going. The combination of the India accent, the VOIP line to Bangor and my ears not being what they used to be make it very difficult to understand what they are saying. Apparently I'm going to have to wait 48 hrs before I can talk to someone that isn't reading off of a script. They were saying that maybe we need to replace the box??? The box has been running fine, no recording errors, everything being recorded up until the software update last night. My rep seemed to think software had nothing to do with the recording of the programs, it's a box thing???? When you try to setup a recording on the guide for local channels it sets up as a manual recording. It's titled as the channel and time, not the programs name (i.e. NCIS etc.) If you setup a recording on a cable channel, it works like it should, giving you the "record this" and all other recording options.

Anyone else having this problem? or am I the only one in the world that this is happening to. Hopefully Dish hasn't dropped support in it's guide for OTA tuners.

Your not alone. The program is listed in the ota guide without information. I lost all OTA recording that I had timers set for. The timers are there but no future programming is listed.
Just noticed the guide info. Is there but only for the next 30 minutes. Maybe it will be corrected in the overnight updste.

Have you guys tried rebooting your boxes? A red button reboot should make the guide download.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)