"Auto-Pay " : mandatory?

TheTimm

Made In Detroit
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 18, 2004
Charlotte, NC
To my surprise, I just received my first Voom bill. The surprise part is that I'm being charged at all - let alone full price - because I've been repeatedly told that the first month is on the house due to the screw-ups (it's still not working right). Anyway, I got them to credit my account the full amount (or so they say). But I'm very uncomfortable with this "auto-pay" arrangement where they just charge my credit card every month. They say if they receive a check before the auto-pay date that they won't charge the card - somehow I have trouble believing this. They also say that this is the only way they will set up billing and that they must have a credit card on file. Has anyone had any luck arranging a traditional send-me-the-bill-and-I-mail-in-a-check system?

As long as I send the check in before the due date, would they notice if I changed the account number on my credit card? I've just heard too many horror stories to trust this company with my credit card number, especially when just about everything they tell me proves to be false.

Yes, I did get a bill - it said they'll charge the account on July 20. I called and they said there will be no charge if they receive a check before this date. I have trouble believing them because I wasn't supposed to be charged at all for this month. I guess I'm just worried that they'll charge me whether they receive a check or not. Perhaps I'm worrying over nothing?

TheTimm said:
Yes, I did get a bill - it said they'll charge the account on July 20. I called and they said there will be no charge if they receive a check before this date. I have trouble believing them because I wasn't supposed to be charged at all for this month. I guess I'm just worried that they'll charge me whether they receive a check or not. Perhaps I'm worrying over nothing?

I used a credit card with very low credit on it. They are the only one charging to the credit card; So for me this makes a little easier. I do not know about the check. I haven't seen that. But I assume that if your credit card gets changed, they will immediately ask for another one.

I talked to three different CSR's/Supervisors about this today. I said that the billing system is pretty ridiculous and the first CSR agreed with me. My bill date has been the 29th, the 14th, and they tell me next month it will be the 5th. My bill date is tomorrow and I have yet to receive a statement for the month. I asked if there was another way to pay... and the response was that they are trying to get alternate ways to pay implemented in the next few months, we'll see. It kinda makes sense that everything is in 'beta' including the billing system.

I am happy with the programming and have only a few minor OTA issues... the inconsistency of the billing is a bigger negative for me than actual programming issues.

My first bill said my card was billed, but no charge ever came thru. My second bill is due in a few days, I wonder if they will charge the card this time? I also noticed I get most of the pay HD channels - free. All come thru except for encoreHD and showHD. I'm only paying for the basic $39 package.

Use of a credit card for installation was mandatory, but some accounts were set up as 'cash', meaning that they send a paper bill, and you send them a check. Here is an example:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summary
Total current monthly charges: $85.06

Total of all statements $43.06

Of which paid automatically $0.00

Remaining balance $43.06

Unapplied $0.00

Statement Date: Jul 3, 2004

Bill Provided As: Paper Bill

Payment Method: CASH

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amount Billed: $43.06

Amount Scheduled for Auto-pay: $0.00

Payments Received: $0.00

Credit Adjustments: $0.00

Balance to Pay Today: $43.06

I got a call from Voom a few weeks ago asking if I could set up a CC account so they could auto charge. I told them I dont use CC's and would continue to pay via online banking.
They did not press it any further.

Wonder why I did not have to use a CC to get Voom? CSR never asked for it when setting up my install in early May.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)