Azbox Enigma2 RTi core RC3 released

Yes, RC3 is IMHO the best release to date. The AC3 issue is posted on E2 SVN, please take a minute and add a comment to the thread so its not viewed as an isolated issue.

I've had it installed for a couple of days now and its pretty stable. There are still a few outstanding issues but the next update should adding recording which should make it nearly complete. For anyone interested in testing the E2 waters, I think its safe to put your toes in the water ;)

So what functions does this have that my Ultra doesn't have? Last I heard, blind scan wouldn't work along with some other AZbin 5020 functions?

As has been mentioned in prior threads, E2 is not ready yet as a replacement for factory firmware. That being said, the current release is quite stable and has some nice features not present in factory firmware. Its very different from factory firmware and if you do load it, it will be like having a new receiver with new menus and navigation to learn. You will also have to load it with a North American satelllite list as current version only include European sats. AC3 sound is missing and there is no blindscan yet. At this point in time, comparing factory firmware to E2 is like comparing apples to oranges, with the oranges not being ripe ;)

I won't be trying anything at least until AC3 is there.

ac3 works. the channel scanner just wont find and save the ac3 audio pids. you have to manually enter them using dreambox edit. remember this is only in the beta stages. the importance of this project is that someone is still developing software for these units when opensat doesnt appear to be actively developing their software anymore. there is also another project in the works by the rti team based on the neutrino kernel and im pretty interested in it. from my experience with the neutrino os on pc all i can say is it was smokin fast and geared towards the embedded market. once again this project highlights the flexibility in the azbox hardware. it may not be perfect but neither is opensats software. if you think opensats offering "IS" perfect then simply use it, and keep the negative comments to yourselves. this thread is for discussion by people interested in testing or people active in testing this software.

crackt out,.

I don't think he was being negative IMHO.

BTW, has anyone attempted to run this off of a usb drive while keeping the Opensat OS on the DRAM?
[Switching back and forth is going to confuse the hell out of the wife. It took her two years to pick up the remote with the current OS.]
Does it partition the dram and use RTi's kernel to boot? If so does Opensat's OS suffer?

I'm finding the docs for this OS to be vague.

I'd actually like to see a few more guys from satelliteguys forum take an interest in participating in the beta testing. I completely realize there may be features, like AC3, which aren't working perfectly but unless we voice what works and doesn't work for North America, E2 will be geared toward the European community just because thats predominately who is voicing opinions right now. I would respectfully ask that more people test out and give feedback for RC4 which its released. Unlike Opensat which did very little to advance the platform, the RTi team is actually listening to our feedback and suggestions so as an AZbox owner its really time to speak up.

I don't think he was being negative IMHO.

BTW, has anyone attempted to run this off of a usb drive while keeping the Opensat OS on the DRAM?
[Switching back and forth is going to confuse the hell out of the wife. It took her two years to pick up the remote with the current OS.]
Does it partition the dram and use RTi's kernel to boot? If so does Opensat's OS suffer?

I'm finding the docs for this OS to be vague.

i was only saying that a comment about not using the software is not helpful in anyway. its of no consequence to the project if someone chooses not to use it. it is important however to discuss the bugs we find and let the developers know about them. forum polution is upsetting. sorry.

i know you can install enigma on a usb and leave the opensat software on the DOM but not sure what suffers when switching between. ill do some testing for you.

crackt out,.

i know you can install enigma on a usb and leave the opensat software on the DOM but not sure what suffers when switching between. ill do some testing for you.

Now this is an interesting thing. If it can be done then the instructions on exactly what needs to be done would be extremely helpful to have more people try it out.
Especially if they know they would not have a problem going back to their original factory firmware without incident.

Hmmmm...
I was unable to install E2 on a separate (2nd) DOM and be able to switch between them - I had to go through the complete process to load and unload.

Has something changed?

crackt said:
i was only saying that a comment about not using the software is not helpful in anyway. its of no consequence to the project if someone chooses not to use it. it is important however to discuss the bugs we find and let the developers know about them. forum polution is upsetting. sorry.

crackt out,.

I have no opinion on whether or not somebody should or should not try to use the software. I was making a comment to the forum that I would not be interested in using it until AC3 audio is functional, without additional steps beyond scanning a transponder for channels. I know that will be taken care of.

My Azbox is my family's sole source for TV and I don't have the patience for dealing with the WAF caused by trying it out. I can hear it now (so long as my wife doesn't speak in ac3): "Why doesn't the sound work on channel xyz? The kids want to watch TV."

I did see that you commented that there may be a method of installing it on a USB stick, leaving the usual software on the DOM. I certainly would be interested in trying that out. That way I pop it out when the wife complains and we're status quo.

if i get to actually doing a write up tonight ill post the steps. im sure there is still a software update process when switching between the 2 as they use different loaders. i should have time tonight to play with it and ill post what i find. it would be pretty sweet to be able to dual boot the box with something like grub but i know that solution does not exist.

crackt out,.

ok so i spent a couple hours testing out upgrade scenarios tonight. it appears that there is no benefit to installing enigma on an external usb drive or ide hard drive except maybe speed. i havent tested jazupd but the required steps to reinstall opensats software with azupd leave the box in a virgin state. it makes more sense to install to the DOM and restore settings from backups. if your not an adventurous person and you rely on your azbox for programming it is recommended you dont install enigma at this time. quite frankly there would be no advantage.

the exciting news of the night is that another group (SIF) is also developing an enigma image and 2 heads are usually better than one. the azbox is proving once again to be quite a flexible piece of hardware with 2 enigma based images and the neutrino based image being developed for it. hopefully something stable will appear on the horizon soon.

crackt, could you post the AC3 issue bug on the SVN?

if i dont get to it tonight i will tomorrow.
edit: added comment on svn

crackt out,.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.
With the new software so far have you tried any recordings with it yet?
If it supports recordings what about the high bitrate programs that the Azbox has difficulty with now, has this been addressed/fixed?

What is the added benefit of this new software over say the 0.9.5020 ?
I know this is still in beta but it would be good to know what the differences are or are going to be if known.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)