AZBox vs Openbox

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mikey11

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
canada
i have the opportunity to pickup a new openbox for about 125 bucks which is very tempting, just wondering if the extra money is worth it to spend on an AZbox, i am assuming the only advantage the AZbox has is the 4:2:2 is this correct? or are there other things the AZbox can do which the openbox can not? i am talking about ku-band only

From what I've read lately on the Openbox s9 there is an issue with a green tint to the display that can't be gotten out. I think it's in play when using the RYW connectors. There is a recent thread that brought this out so a search may find that info that you can read for yourself.

I own two AZs, one Elite that I got a couple of years ago and an Ultra that I just bought a few months ago from the reseller on Ebay in Miami. The Elite I have also came from him. He has had the Ultra listed for $219 plus $25 shipping recently which is about $50 cheaper than what I paid for mine. The Ultra is a real "plain Jane" receiver but does do the job on 422 and hardware blind scan. In considering the AZs one must keep in mind that they are a "work in progress" meaning that there are some issues with some of the functions. But for the most part they do what I need them to do and I would buy another one if I had it to do over again. I'm going to mount another dish soon and when I do I'm looking to purchase an Openbox s9 for that dish. Need to see what the "other guys" are doing.

Your mileage may vary! ;-)

I'd get the Openbox for that price. It's a simpler receiver to use than the AZbox, and as strictly a receiver, I prefer it. The Azbox has more bells and whistles, but is just klunky enough that I use my 2 openbox units instead for running dishes. Only use the Azbox as a movie player and 4:2:2 device.
:)

For an external Hard disk the azbox can power the device (nice if you have a few seagate 'go' drives like I do)
The OpenBox can only handle external Hard drives if they are powered. Just something to keep in mind.

The OpenBox is my 1st FTA receiver. It was a toss up between that or the AZBox. I chose the OpenBox because of price & from what I've read, it's simpler to learn but doesn't have some features the AZBox has & I knew about the green tint issue. The green tint is bad on composite hook-up but can be 99% eliminated by turning the green tint as far off as possible through your TV settings. The trees & grass are still green though. There is no green tint issue through HDMI set up. And I'm not even sure what 4:2:2 is for sure but the OpenBox doesn't get it but AXBox does.

4:2:2 is a compression technique used by a number of feeds(mostly on C-Band). Here is a pretty good page that describes it.
4:2:2 Video Compression
Thanks.
But is 4:2:2 very popular? It seems I get most everything except certain HD feeds. I'm just thinking maybe to clarify 4:2:2 and whether or not that would be a deciding factor when comparing the two boxes.

thanks for all the replies, so just to clarify about the green tint issue.....this will not be a problem as long as i use the HDMI cable output?

If you like sports, you would want to have 4:2:2.
I am using the Openbox as my main receiver now and for turning my KU dish, with a AZBOX Elite as a slave for 4:2:2.

If you like sports, you would want to have 4:2:2.
I am using the Openbox as my main receiver now and for turning my KU dish, with a AZBOX Elite as a slave for 4:2:2.

so is there alot of 422 stuff on ku-band to make it worthwhile?

What percentage of the sports feeds are 4:2:2? I am thinking only of Ku band.

I am thinking of getting an Openbox to get the DVB-S2 feeds that I am not getting now.

The sports feeds that ARENT HD (the HD ones are almost always 4:2:0 which the SSO will play) depends on the sport.
Most college hockey games are 4:2:0
College basketball is probably 60/40 as they are 4:2:2
College football this past year was 50/50 but most of the smaller college games are always 4:2:0

Most of the "bigger" networks if the game isnt in HD will be 4:2:2

I thought the SSO had issues when playing higher bit-rate feeds or has that been solved?

me personally I had 2 SSO's but sold both. The newest one I had since there is so few DVB-S2 on KU it wasnt worth it for me to keep it since HD I could load into the azbox. The original SSO I had was so glitchy before they fixed it with software updates ;)

So I scan with the Coolsat 5000 and load the HD/4:2:2 into the azbox

Well i have both! I have the solomend!which i have been told is the same as the open box. and a Azbox Ultra.Blind scan is definitely faster on the open box.One of my biggest faults with the open box is the clock and date!Has to be reset if you turn the unit off.Only very basic recording can be done with the open box!AZ does more.Editing PIDs can be done with the AZ without extra software and when it comes to favorites you can put many more categories in it! I think the open box limits to eight.Open box is more user friendly at least to me!Less menus to go to to get what you want.Both units are well worth the money you pay for.Just me 2 cents.

Stanley
There are 1/2 dozen models out there of the openbox between North America and Asia/Europe. The original was Sathawk (that Sadoun shipped), then it was the Solomend and now Openbox. Thats why you'll see SSO alot...that means the Sathawk, SOlomend, Openbox

same box...different front panel

so which would be the best azbox to get? if i decided to go that route? would i need to buy any add on modules for the azbox? or is it good to go for FTA right out of the box?

no modules needed. It does DVB & DVB-S2 out of the box

I have the elite which doesnt have blind scan....but is the cheapest...and was the original

There are a couple models out that do blind scan and I think the differences are the "extra" things you can do. Me..I just want it to show and possibly record HD/S2 or 4:2:2. DOnt care about streaming youtube on it or searching the net with it too

so which would be the best azbox to get? if i decided to go that route? would i need to buy any add on modules for the azbox? or is it good to go for FTA right out of the box?

Unless your planning on using wireless internet with it and dont mind no display on the front i would go with the ultra.For recording you will need to add a external or internal HD to do recording though.

no modules needed. It does DVB & DVB-S2 out of the box

I have the elite which doesnt have blind scan....but is the cheapest...and was the original

There are a couple models out that do blind scan and I think the differences are the "extra" things you can do. Me..I just want it to show and possibly record HD/S2 or 4:2:2. DOnt care about streaming youtube on it or searching the net with it too

thanks....blind scan is really a must have for me, i dont really care about recording/PVR so which azbox would be best?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts