AZBox vs Openbox

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I hope it's not. The one that SatelliteAV is working on is supposed to do 4:2:2.

I suspect that the Manhattan box is another Openbox S9 workalike.

Woofy,

Do I have this right. You are in possession of a Manhattan box for beta testing! Huh, who, wow! How did you do that? Do you have a gag order, can you tell us more?

Yes That is correct..For the past little while..I'm just a beta tester, so not really my place to give a detailed description..and this threads topic is about the Azbox and Openbox..I don't like to see threads go off topic myself and I'm sure the staff here would not appreciate it either.

All I will say is that it is looking good and I believe people will like this new box.

Jim S. said:
I hope it's not. The one that SatelliteAV is working on is supposed to do 4:2:2.

I suspect that the Manhattan box is another Openbox S9 workalike.

That's the one I'm looking for. The openbox and clones thereof won't do 4:2:2 so they're useless to me. I need something that does 4:2:2 dvb s2 like a network on 89w C uses.

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

The Manhattan is based on the ALI3602 chipset (like the Openbox). No Ali chipset is capable of 4:2:2 including the new ALI3606 solution.

still having a hard time deciding on this one....i really want a receiver that will last a long time and is prepared for the future....so i think i might splurge and go for the azbox....im assuming in the future all broadcasts will slowly start going to 4:2:2....is this safe to say or assume??

IMO....... DTH broadcasts will not likely be DVBS 4:2:2. Once backhauls transition to S2, it unlikely that they will use DVBS2 4:2:2. I believe that 4:2:2 is a transitional way to use existing encoders and decoders to provide high quality distribution and is not the wave of future transmissions.

IMO....... DTH broadcasts will not likely be DVBS 4:2:2. Once backhauls transition to S2, it unlikely that they will use DVBS2 4:2:2. I believe that 4:2:2 is a transitional way to use existing encoders and decoders to provide high quality distribution and is not the wave of future transmissions.

thanks for the input....so if im following you correctly are you saying that 4:2:2 is just a temporary thing?....all broadcasts will never be 4:2:2??....and is it really worth it to get the azbox and 4:2:2 if i only have ku-band?

The thing with sports feeds is there use to be alot of 4:2:2 feeds and were SD. Then they went to HD and now are 4:2:0 so the openbox plays them fine

OK so is it the general opinion that 422 will disappear in the not too distant future or what?

And what info do you base that opinion on?:confused:

OK so is it the general opinion that 422 will disappear in the not too distant future or what?
no. Still plenty of SD feeds that are 4:2:2
But I'll give you an example. A year ago the "big" network that shows sports if it was in HD it was 4:2:0 HD and in most cases the SD feeds (that were for their other channel like 2 & U) if it was SD it was 4:2:2. Now that those games are in HD we're back to 4:2:0
The exceptions to these were the ones that were on their 3rd channel...the internet one are mainly 4:2:0 but I've seen enough 4:2:2
Their other entity that they are part of (the sec network)...those are in 4:2:0 as those feeds are for network affiliates to show the games

Now the other big sports network...the regional one...their SD feeds were always 4:2:2...but since this year they were mainly scrambled we dont know what they are ;)

Even thought the AZ cost more i think even if you didn't need 422 it would be a better investment for now.The Manhattan (new challenge to the sso) may change things though if it keeps time,can edit pids directly and good support from the USA not somewhere across the ocean.There is a thread going on with the Manhattan if you want to know more.

Hmm, I tried it on a friend of mines OpenBox but it didn't work... Interesting, perhaps his USB port was defective. Anyway thanks!

That's not the case.:)

I use a smartdisk 40gig formatted at FAT32 USB powered.
And a Seagate 500 gig formatted at NTSC USB powered.

Both work just fine on the OpenBox.

Hmm, I tried it on a friend of mines OpenBox but it didn't work... Interesting, perhaps his USB port was defective. Anyway thanks!

No problem. Try plugging in the USB drive, then reboot the box from the rear switch and see if it recognizes it then.

Will they abandon 4:2:2 to save bandwidth, or there are more efficient solutions for backhauls of similar pic quality?

In military parlance, you judge your enemy not by their actions but by their capability, in order to cover the worst-case scenario. Hence, a prudent person should always have 4:2:2 capability, because it will always be a broadcast option.

Lak7

On what sats & TPs? Are they in clear - just wanted to check the pic... :)

brentb636

I like it. :) But... there may be something else more advanced on the horizon... I think, Brian is more exposed to this insider kind of story.

I like it. :) But... there may be something else more advanced on the horizon... I think, Brian is more exposed to this insider kind of story.

If I were to advise what to buy now, buy 4:2:2. That way you are covered for what is frequently available now. What will the flavor be tomorrow???? Any one's guess......Maybe DVBS2 4:4:4?

"If I was to carry a knife, it would be a BIG Swiss Knife." - Brian Gohl circa 2011

"Buy more than you will ever need and you will be in need of nothing more!" Yeah Right! LOL!!! - Brian Gohl circa 2011

If I were to advise what to buy now, buy 4:2:2. That way you are covered for what is frequently available now. What will the flavor be tomorrow???? Any one's guess......Maybe DVBS2 4:4:4?

"If I was to carry a knife, it would be a BIG Swiss Knife." - Brian Gohl circa 2011

"Buy more than you will ever need and you will be in need of nothing more!" Yeah Right! LOL!!! - Brian Gohl circa 2011

If 4:4:4 ever becomes an option, my guess is VLC will quickly implement support . A computer based PCI solution may be kludgey, but it's very versatile as a backup. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)