Best OTA Solution using Edision OS Mio+

cyberham

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Halfmoon Bay, British Columbia
My current Homeworx HW-150 PVR OTA standalone receiver needs to be retired. I currently use it with a 115 GB USB memory stick for its PVR function.

I would like to find the best solution that will do the following:
  1. Allow me to tune the 3 OTA local HD channels I have.
  2. Allow me to use the same external USB drive attached to my Edision Mio+ with TNAP 4.1 to record OTA channels.
That's all I need it to do. Simple requirements but I want something reliable.

My current Homeworx HW-150 PVR OTA standalone receiver needs to be retired. I currently use it with a 115 GB USB memory stick for its PVR function.

I would like to find the best solution that will do the following:
  1. Allow me to tune the 3 OTA local HD channels I have.
  2. Allow me to use the same external USB drive attached to my Edision Mio+ with TNAP 4.1 to record OTA channels.
That's all I need it to do. Simple requirements but I want something reliable.
Here's what I have on my Mio for backup, works perfectly, has guide: Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-955Q USB TV Tuner #1191 HDTV Digital Analog Cable NEW SEALED 785428011912 | eBay

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Hauppauge 950 vs 955. First thing Mr. Google says is:
"The biggest difference between the 950Q and the 955Q is that the 955Q will NOT work under Linux, where as the 950Q will. If you are on Windows, it doesn't matter which one you get, if you are on Linux, you need the 950Q. 6 of 7 found this helpful."

Hauppauge 950 vs 955. First thing Mr. Google says is:
"The biggest difference between the 950Q and the 955Q is that the 955Q will NOT work under Linux, where as the 950Q will. If you are on Windows, it doesn't matter which one you get, if you are on Linux, you need the 950Q. 6 of 7 found this helpful."
Well, I and others ARE using the 955q, and it works perfectly. There's a driver built into the image specifically for it. So, your generic Linux quote is WRONG.
955q.jpg

I have the XBox variant of the 955Q. It doesn't come with the bells and whistles you can't use on the MIO anyway. It is cheaper than the 955Q because of that. It s also faster than the 950. I have both and compared them.

Reactions: primestar31
Hauppauge Xbox one: US$219. Yikes.

Canadians sure seem to get screwed on the price of everything, don't they? Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-955Q USB TV Tuner #1191 HDTV Digital Analog Cable NEW SEALED | eBay

Hauppauge Xbox one: US$219. Yikes.

Do you get a kiss with that one? ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Titanium
I have both the 950 and 955. Running windows machines, if anything the 950 seems to have a more sensitive tuner. The 955 is on a dual boot machine and works fine in Linux Mint also. For that matter they both work on a Pi4 with Raspberian. Get the cheapest one you can, they will work.

I have both the 950 and 955. Running windows machines, if anything the 950 seems to have a more sensitive tuner. The 955 is on a dual boot machine and works fine in Linux Mint also. For that matter they both work on a Pi4 with Raspberian. Get the cheapest one you can, they will work.
I'll hold you to that. I get your C-band dish without your trees if you're wrong. Thanks for everybody's help.

Added: I settled on a 950 for US$38 including free shipping from Canada. It should arrive in a couple weeks from Quebec. I'll report my success with it.

Last edited:
Shipping is going to be a killer! But seriusly the 950 works in Mint and Rasperian, so should work fine in most linux distros. If for some reason it won't you can build the drivers yourself with just a few command lines. And I am sure ElBandito has the code if something is different in that build.

Reactions: cyberham
A sign of the times: time to ship this item 630 miles via ground within Canada with no borders to cross is 1 month.

Added: Delivery just adjusted to 1 week. That's more like it.

Last edited:
I also have both - well a 950Q and the Xbox version of the 955Q, both bought used on ebay, and here is my experience:
- both work on the osmio4k
- both work under windows, but you have to reinstall the driver when you switch (same driver installer, probably different actual driver gets installed)
- the 950 is very sensitive and locks on very weak signals, even when it's so weak it can't scan in the content. VERY nice for DXing and searching for weak stations in general
- the 955 does not lock on weak signals. It locks only on signals with a pretty good CNR
- the 955 worked fine only on stronger stations, i'd say with at least 21 dB margin, while the 950 was ok with 16-17 dB
- since some of my OTA stations (WFSB from Hartford, and whatever i'm able to get from NYC) are marginal at best, the 955 was not really usable for me

Is that really representative of those tuners, or did I get a lousy 955, I'm not sure...

Then the 950Q was a good choice since it was much less $ considering cost and shipping. It also will arrive weeks before I could have sourced a 955Q from across the border.

My 3 local HD OTA are 31.3 dB (CBC), 31.4 dB (CTV) and 30.7 dB (Global) at this moment from my CM-7777 preamp and Clearstream 2 antenna 10 feet high. At the very best, if I can receive any other stations with a very sensitive receiver, they would just be repeaters of stations I'm already receiving. We are too far from the U.S. border to receive any U.S. stations.

It doesn't much matter if my antenna is 10 feet or 100 feet high:

10 Feet High Antenna:
OTA_10 feet high.jpg

100 Feet High Antenna:
OTA_100 feet high.jpg

Just thought I would chime in too. I am using a WinTv 950 daily. It gets everything my tv's tuner does. You will be happy with yours I'm sure.
On mine to populate the EPG you need to tune in to the station for a minute or two. Only problem I ever had was the audio will act up. Change to another channel and then back always clears it up. Setting up timers in EPG is very simple. Oh and I use a 128g usb drive to store my recordings.(formatted ex-fat)

Just thought I would chime in too. I am using a WinTv 950 daily. It gets everything my tv's tuner does. You will be happy with yours I'm sure.
On mine to populate the EPG you need to tune in to the station for a minute or two. Only problem I ever had was the audio will act up. Change to another channel and then back always clears it up. Setting up timers in EPG is very simple. Oh and I use a 128g usb drive to store my recordings.(formatted ex-fat)
I actually have one problem... if I leave the osmio4k on an OTA channel, for several hours, sometimes the tuner loses the lock. I get the "tuning failed" error, similar to when it loses a satellite signal. If I change to satellite and back to OTA, it's fine and the channel is back.

One more thing - Cyberham - TVFool is very outdated. You'll usually find better information on the Signal Search Map on RabbitEars.com. In your case, looks like ch 48 is now on RF ch 15. From what I can see in RabbitEars for your approximate location, you would indeed only get those 3 channels, with a chance of getting Ici Télé from Moncton NB on VHF-High when there's some tropospheric propagation (completely unreliable).

Reactions: Lee60 and c-spand