Can't find tp Freq 11842

Adjacent satellite interference is the exact problem, but it is unlikely that any change will occur on the G19 -11842 transponder due to the number of viewers that have been reaimed and reprogrammed. Unlikely that any of the relocated services would return to 101w due to the contained footprint of SES1.

The satellite operators have had discussions regarding the interference without resolution. We expect that this is the way that it will remain.

If that's the case then the only way to solve this issue with the current technical parameters is to start issuing larger dishes and/or stop issuing dual LNBF systems. With my experience as an installer, the only way to get strong signal on the current Azure 36 inch dish due to this interference issue is to only use 1 LNBF with the dish directly aimed to Galaxy 19 to avoid the signal loss associated with having offset LNBF's. If there is still a need to have a dual LNBF system, I recommend that a 39 inch dish be used instead of 36 inch as a larger and/or deeper dish will have a narrower acceptance of satellite signals which means that interference from adjacent satellites is minimized. Another option is to have a motorized dish system instead of a fixed dual LNBF system.

P.S. Can we get confirmation from Glorystar if there's any plans to to use SES-1 in the future or should we be converting all dual LNBF systems to single LNBF to improve signal levels with the current Azure 36 inch dish.

Last edited:
FYI the 11842 TP was chosen by one of the Adventist broadcasters - Not Glory Star. They did not take enough time testing before the final decision.:rolleyes:
Bob

If they are stuck using 11842 then the only way to solve this issue on a technical level is to have Direct TV change its 11840 TP on Galaxy 3C to another non interfering transponder and/or change polarity from Horizontal to Vertical. I believe that by just changing the polarity on either of the 2 TP's would solve this issue instantly. However, this is easier said than done as for some reason, Direct TV USA is only using Horizontal TP's on Galaxy 3C so possibly their LNB's for this satellite are unable to tune any vertical transponders. It would be easier for Direct TV to change frequencies as there's a LOT more available transponder space on Galaxy 3C when compared to Galaxy 19.

What a sorry state this is! All the extra money some have put out buying a new dish or whatever to try to correct this issue, and finally the truth has come out.

dcbag,

Unfortunately you are greatly mistaken and misinformed about the whole situation. As WescoPC indicated, The Adventist channels independently chose to move to a new satellite and selected the transponder. Glorystar, with the assistance of many SatelliteGuy members were asked to provide 11842 transponder testing data before the transition decision. The broadcasters were provided the testing information gathered on this forum and then they then chose to accept the transponder with the known aiming deviation. The adjacent satellite interference was suspected and discussed, but just recently confirmed by one of the broadcasters. The satellite company engineers have discussed the situation, but have been unable to negotiate a resolution. The need to adjust for the 11842 during the aiming is difficult for us perfectionist who wish to peak each transponder, but it is the way it is. Not a major issue!

The interference is also unrelated to Glorystar equipment. Glorystar equipment quality is high quality and far above the average FTA equipment offerings. As an example: The GEOSATpro 90cm is two degree compliant, meeting the 3dB attenuation at 1.8 degrees. As a rule, the current viewers will not buy anything when migrating to the G19 satellite. Some viewers are choosing to replace aging, damaged equipment or upgrading to the convenience of automatic channel updating receivers and this is usually a choice and not a necessity. There is no need to buy any new equipment for the satellite change unless the equipment is defective!

The adjacent satellite interference is not the issue being discussed earlier in this thread. The thread was hijacked for this observation posting. The problem experienced by the original poster was not solved by new equipment and we did not suggest equipment replacement as a solution in this thread. I continue to suggest that it may be the result of local terrestrial interference. The OP met with Glorystar in Atlanta, GA this week and we discussed several options that the OP may try to improve the Signal Quality. A spectrum analyzer may be able to determine the cause of the OPs signal issues. The OP hopefully will report the results of the experiments.

Posts like this certainly make me rethink the sharing of "behind the scenes" information that hobbyist may be interested in knowing! Either know the facts or ask questions.....

If that's the case then the only way to solve this issue with the current technical parameters is to start issuing larger dishes and/or stop issuing dual LNBF systems.

P.S. Can we get confirmation from Glorystar if there's any plans to to use SES-1 in the future or should we be converting all dual LNBF systems to single LNBF to improve signal levels with the current Azure 36 inch dish.

In our experience with providing technical support for thousands of installs since the addition of the 11842 transponder three months ago and the response and readings provided by customers and installers, a minimum 50% quality on all Glorystar channels from both satellites is currently provided by the GEOSATpro 90cm dish and dual LNBF design within the US and southern Canadian provinces. We have done major testing of the 90cm dish and dual LNBF in all regions of the continental US and Southern Canada with good results. For the past 4 years, nearly every trip I take, a dish is set-up with dual LNBFs for testing. There are very few regions that I have not personally tested. As soon as the SES1 satellite is balanced, we will retest within the US and Southern Canada. Initial results are very favorable for the SES1 performance. Only for areas outside of the continental US and Canada, we suggest the installation of a single LNBF system due to the contained SES1 footprint.

SES1 is currently signing new broadcasters and Glorystar will continue to support the two satellites with the dual LNBF systems. The decision to limit customers to a single satellite system will result in the limitation of available channels.

Last edited:
If they are stuck using 11842 then the only way to solve this issue on a technical level is to have Direct TV change its 11840 TP on Galaxy 3C to another non interfering transponder and/or change polarity from Horizontal to Vertical.

I understand that this has been discussed and is not an option with the provider.

Quote: Posts like this certainly make me rethink the sharing of "behind the scenes" information that hobbyist may be interested in knowing! Either know the facts or ask questions.....

Without the hobbyist there most likely would not be much FTA. It is possible that some hobbyist may know as much or almost as much (but certainly not me)as those behind the scenes.

If this behind the scenes information had been made know quite some time back (instead of the idea of possible equipment replacement needs) the opinions some might have could be different.

Satelliteguys I thought was all about sharing ones thoughts on a given subject and to learn from others points of view, not just for suppliers, etc. to give their sole opinions on issues. Having said that it is greatly appreciated that GloryStar is willing to be part of this forum. If only the other Satellite provider would also do the same.

As stated before this is only my opinion, but I'm entitled to it. I am sure my comments have not changed very many if any opinions, just like yours has not changed mine.

I appreciate the "behind the scenes" information. Thank you Brian.

I am not having issues with my dual LNB Glorystar system. I am getting 60% or above on all transponders expect for 12115 48% and 11988 at 40% but I have it peaked on 11842.

Thanks Brian for the heads up on the problem. I have not had any issues on this corner of the "Free Country". The only thing I have noticed - and may be adjacent signal problem, is that I do get better results aiming for 97W rotate the LBNF (and holder) for best results on the adventist, re-aim, for TBN, then on the dual systems (only one so far besides mine and family) adjust 101W for the compromise signal. With Skew for adventist and peak for TBN back and forth to keep both above threshold it seemed to work. I never tried to reason why. I figured it might have something to do with the IRON in the ground or the Downwinder effect from Hanford.

The repoints I have done have been fine. Even the 30" (I think) 3ABN do ok so far!

Those that really have a problem with this might try a differant dish. You know I do because of the wind issues. The primestar dishes do not flex, and they take the motor home handling.

My 10 Mesh dish has pulled its 45# of conncrete out of a 38 inch hole because of the wind. I have enough pipe to go down 6 feet, which I will do when I get the backhoe for put the septic system.

Hello All,

I have been out of pocket since GC on the dish aiming issue. It is just too hot here in Georgia.

Whew! I had a lot to catch up on here.

My old AzureShine dish is still aimed at 11842 and I get the FS Mercury II programed channels using a single lnbf.

We have 2 more dishes like this one, one new one, and one old 3ABN dish to re-aim. They are all up overhead and not in a good position for fine aiming adjustments. I plan to now get my tools and helpers together when air temperatures are bearable and put the dishes down where we can aim as mine is now with one lnbf.

I did try a cone shaped 10" aluminum flashing around my lnbf. It made no difference.

I certainly applaude Brian's efforts to supply satellite reception to a large Christian audience from 2 satellites. Evidently it works on an average basis for all transponders in some areas. Brian did some in Atlanta that worked well. I have no idea why it doesn't work here (135 miles south). I will continue to work on it.

Since I now have a complete new system, I could aim one at each satellite if I wanted to get all the programs. Or maybe I will replace the old 3ABN dish/Manhattan at the church.

I really appreciate all I have learned from you folks about satellite programing. I will keep you posted.

Hi again,

Just a little note. It is HOT here! And as the temperature climbs into the high 90's, my signal goes away. Not sure, but I think as the signal is marginal at best, the dish is slightly warping with temperature changes. Tonight after the temp went back down below 95 the signal came back.

Still going to work on other dishes in the area before addressing mine at home. That will hinge on some better weather.

:)

Dr. Pepper 6044 said:
Hi again,

Just a little note. It is HOT here! And as the temperature climbs into the high 90's, my signal goes away. Not sure, but I think as the signal is marginal at best, the dish is slightly warping with temperature changes. Tonight after the temp went back down below 95 the signal came back.

Still going to work on other dishes in the area before addressing mine at home. That will hinge on some better weather.

:)

Would love to get a spectrum analyzer connected to your dish. TI often comes and goes during specific hours.

The signal loss could also be related to LO frequency drift. Swap an LNBF next time the signal is lost in the heat of the day.

Years ago, my mom's c-band system would drop out every afternoon. Replaced the LNB, installed new connectors, loaned here a spare receiver, replaced the ribbon cable, etc. After several unsuccessful and frustrating trips to trouble shoot the system, we finally tracked the loss of signal to a failing power transformer on a pole up the road. The transformer would start spewing out RF garbage when it would be under heavy loads..... Primarily in the PM. When local farms would fire up additional motors, etc. The power company replaced the transformer and the satellite system worked flawlessly ........ You never know what you might determine is the cause.

On a side note: We use to install many TI filters on satellite systems to remove local interference and clean up picture quality. Most installers now days have no clue as to what a TI filter is or even more importantly, how to determine if one is needed. The interference potential still exists and can affect signal reception, but now only commercial applications seem to use TI filters.

Thanks for the history, GS1.

Where can I get a TI filter?

I'll attempt a more stable cone shaped shield around the lnbf as I exchange them.

We overloaded the 1949 installed 3kVa supply transformer in WV. It failed and spewed out pcb laden oil. They replaced it with a 25kVa.

We'll keep at it.

Thanks again.

Hello,

I bit the bullet and sweated it out today. After the wind or who knows what lost my dish aim, I had no programing. I tried to get it back today and gave up. I came inside and assembled my new dish. It moves much easier on the vertical mount.

I went back to scratch. Checked mount plumb, installed a new single lnb, and reconnected my 'new' cable from lnbf to receiver (GeoSat 200c). I had no signal level and found the new cable had fallen apart on one end. After all was reconnected, I found very strong and high quality signal, but no programming. With no reference marks from my old AMC4 aim, I had to guess with the small compass. I think I was on new SES1.

Well, as I looked for G19, it was still it's very ellusive self. After a long search, (during a little shower) I found it. Locked down the bolts and it is working now.

Now, on to the other dishes we need to get working.

Thanks again for all the support here.

Bill

Hello,

I bit the bullet and sweated it out today. After the wind or who knows what lost my dish aim, I had no programing. I tried to get it back today and gave up. I came inside and assembled my new dish. It moves much easier on the vertical mount.

I went back to scratch. Checked mount plumb, installed a new lnb, and reconnected my 'new' cable from lnbf to receiver (GeoSat 200c). I had no signal level and found the new cable had fallen apart on one end. After all was reconnected, I found very strong and high quality signal, but no programming. With no reference marks from my old AMC4 aim, I had to guess with the small compass. I think I was on new SES1.

Well, as I looked for G19, it was still it's very ellusive self. After a long search (during a little shower) I found it. Locked down the bolts and it is working now.

Now, on to the other dishes we need to get working.

Thanks again for all the support here.

Bill

Agreed, it is very strange indeed that one transponder would be at a slightly different azimuth. Are the transponders split between two satellites at this point, and are they that far apart?

This is odd. If all but one does not come in then this suggests there is something weird going on.

I have a theory on why the 11842 transponder on Galaxy 19 appears to be off azimuth when compared to other transponders on this satellite. Interference from Galaxy 3C located at 95 degrees W might be causing this issue as there is a Direct TV transponder on G3C at on frequency 11840 using Horizontal polarity. As you know, 11840 and 11842 is pretty much the same frequency so having these two similar transponders on satellites spaced only 2 degrees apart might be the cause of these issues. G3C is quite a strong satellite so it could very well be bleeding over Galaxy 19's signal, especially since both TP's are using Horizontal polarity.

If this is the case then I hope that there's another transponder available on G19 to switch the 11842 programming on. If not, then you might want to consider moving back to SES 1 once it's fully deployed.

A larger dish is the only solution as it would prevent interference from adjacent satellites. Reminds me of when I tried to put an 18 inch dish at 77 and the picture would break up. I pointed a 36 inch there and it fixed the problem. This was due to interference from 72. If there is interference only 2 degrees away then I can only imagine the problems that may cause.

What is the minimal size of dish required to bring in these signals? I hope the old Superdishes / Primestar dishes would bring in a good signal. I wonder if their FSS lnb's would be good for receiving the signals as well.

Hi,

Since my last post, I lost my signal. I have tried different lnbf's, one of which came from WS with a bigger inlet lens. That was a very expensive and unfriendly experience.

The new dish is rigid, and easier to pan slowly to find the signal. The elevation settings are a little easier to maintain than the old one, but still allows some change as I loosen up the grip bolts on the post.

The satellite just seems to have disappeared. I took some pictures of the install, but don't know how to post them here. Where is the url for them?

Stargazer, I am wondering if the new Frist Strike meter at a more reasonable pirce would help me in this situation? Since you have some FTA (or FSS) equipment, I am interested in your results. Your evaluation of the practical aiming technique seems consistent with what GS1 is saying. When I have enough signal, it works for me on one satellite. If both satellites were strong enough, the dual lnbf for all 60 or so channles would be fantastic!

I'll keep working on it.

Thanks again for your sympathies.

Bill

The satellite just seems to have disappeared. I took some pictures of the install, but don't know how to post them here. Where is the url for them?
Bill
When you are posting, scroll on down the page and look for "Attach Files" - Manage Attachments Button. You can upload your pics there.
Bob

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)