Channel Master 1.83 with AZ/EL mount conversion.

More practical is to make this angle more or less same as elevation angle of the due-south satellite. Then, when antenna is pointed south, the tube will be vertical. There is a drawing I've made before cutting the metal. View attachment 146183
I think I understand. Im in southeast Florida and my south satellite is SES 2 (87W). Elevation of 58.5 degree's. Would I plug 58.5 into your diagram where you have 33? Or subtract that from 90 degrees and plug in 31.5 degrees?

Last edited:
Yes cuda7670 , in your case you better have ~60* where I have 33*.
RimaNTSS, I have a section of 4x2 rectangle tube ready to cut and bend and weld to attach the dish to the mount as you show in the attached screenshot. As far as my ~60* elevation, why couldn't I adjust the two screws as shown in the picture to lower the motor and lift the dish to ~60* elevation, rather than cut and weld the rectangle tube to ~60*? I'm trying to adhere to your concept about keeping the dish balanced to avoid flopping. I appreciate your patience.

Attachments

• RM2.png
    RM2.png
    181.6 KB · Views: 223
I maybe do not understand your question, but those to are turn-buckles to adjust elevation of the antenna. Another adjustment possibility must be the declination.
I'm using a variant of your design and this attached picture is what most closely matches my 1.8m dish. The elevation is adjustable using the large threaded rod on the left side. What my original question was about the 4x2 rectangle tube used to attach the dish to the mount (yellow line) and the angle where they join in red arrow. From what I understood earlier that angle should be ~60*??

Attachments

• FD1.png
    FD1.png
    324.4 KB · Views: 210
From what I understood earlier that angle should be ~60*??
Yes, correct, that angle better to have ~60*. Picture of the mount on photo has no declination adjustment (or I do not see it), so it will be not possible to perfectly adjust it. FD1.png

Yes, correct, that angle better to have ~60*. Picture of the mount on photo has no declination adjustment (or I do not see it), so it will be not possible to perfectly adjust it. View attachment 146198
Your diagram makes it clear for me, thank you. With this design the declination will have to be adjusted using spacers/washers between the dish and mount, or I may be able to attach longer bolts on the bottom of dish and use two nuts to move dish in or out. Thanks again.

Yes, correct, that angle better to have ~60*. Picture of the mount on photo has no declination adjustment (or I do not see it), so it will be not possible to perfectly adjust it. View attachment 146198
Just to confirm position of the ~60* angle, does the green line look close to what my angle should be?

Attachments

• RM edit1.png
    RM edit1.png
    264.1 KB · Views: 209
I found this web site that explained some of the important angles a novice like myself can understand. Some of the diagrams helped me understand how to adjust the mount and dish. Everyone here has been very patient and have helped me get started with my installation.

Attachments

• dec.png
    dec.png
    80.8 KB · Views: 210
Another good read is this .pdf from a Miami satellite dealer. The way I learn things is when its broken down and examples are given, this file has pictures and some great explanations for us rookies.

Attachments

• My-Mesh-Dish-Setup.pdf
    42.4 MB · Views: 254
Reactions: EmCommSat
Getting all the parts together and noting some measurements of the 1.8m dish before the build. Also picture of existing 36 inch Ku Geosat dish with Stab 90 motor.

Attachments

• IMG_6130 copy.JPG
    IMG_6130 copy.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_6133 copy.JPG
    IMG_6133 copy.JPG
    186.7 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_6134.JPG
    IMG_6134.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_6144.JPG
    IMG_6144.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_6145.JPG
    IMG_6145.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 189
  • ku1a.jpg
    ku1a.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
Most of the metal parts for the mount were 'drops/remnants' I got from Alro Metal Outlet near me. I paid by the pound for them, from 89 to 50 cents per lb. The 4x2 rectangle tube and the 4.5 inch pipe were the only parts that needed to be cut from a longer stock piece. The folks at Alro Metals are very accommodating and the prices are reasonable.

Attachments

• 4.5 base.JPG
    4.5 base.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 173
  • AlroPompano.jpg
    AlroPompano.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 156
Reactions: RimaNTSS and FTA4PA
More practical is to make this angle more or less same as elevation angle of the due-south satellite. Then, when antenna is pointed south, the tube will be vertical. There is a drawing I've made before cutting the metal. View attachment 146183
To RimaNTSS; I'm using a screenshot of your dish setup. When you measured the angle of the dish support in the picture did you measure with 90° on the vertical or horizontal plane? The reason I ask it that angle looks kind of steep to be 33° with 90° at the top. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Attachments

• RM diagram.png
    RM diagram.png
    63.9 KB · Views: 167
  • RM angle copy.png
    RM angle copy.png
    203.8 KB · Views: 171
Last edited: