Could had we used the old analog HD formats like 819i and 875i lines?

N5XZS

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
Albuquerque, NM, USA
Just wondering what if we had to use the outdated old analog HD video formats like 819i 50Hz "French used for almost 20 years" and 875I 60Hz " Never used for TV broadcast in USA"?:biggrin

Just for fun kicks to go around in fictional history if those video were still used to this day!:clapping

819i was quite bandwidth-hungry, limiting the number of channels. So while that was ok in France in an era of government-owned, single-channel TV, I'm not sure it would have had much traction in the more commercial approach of the US market, which typically meant more stations and thus a higher demand for channels.

Reactions: N5XZS
The US is a much more difficult ship to turn around as the initiative to convert has to come, in large part, from the viewers. In France, what the gubmint wants, the gubmint takes. We could have adopted the global DVB-T standard for digital but we went with ATSC perhaps uniquely because DVB-T wasn't invented here.

Doing analog HD was never a good idea and when we were ready to go HD, there was also a movement to do the second repack so analog was not an option.

It isn't a foregone conclusion that the countries that are using other HD schemes now aren't going to choose DVB-T2 (or something other than ATSC 3.0). While ATSC 3.0 has a lot of flexibility, DVB-T2 isn't a huge jump from DVB-T and flexibility can lead to greater cost.

Reactions: N5XZS
Now, if we used the old video formats put in the digital videos code
Just like MPEG-4 or HEVEC? I:)

Is just waste of time using the outdated video formats in the digital world modes?:)

Now, if we used the old video formats put in the digital videos code
Just like MPEG-4 or HEVEC?
The DTV standard was expanded to include MPEG4 in 2008 (and there is at least one credible report that it is being used).

The problem is that DTV uses a less-than-optimal modulation scheme and you can't fix that through simple enhancements. There are other features that Congress wants that aren't readily incorporated as well a whole lot of impetus from some of the broadcasters to add new capabilities. DTV has much too large an installed base of hardware with capabilities that are nearly impossible to pin down so a clean break may be the only way to attain the advancements we want.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts