CS8000 woes

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
very nice pics :)

I should put one in mine....heck there is enough room to put the guts for ANOTHER receiver in there :D

Thanks ICE. I was surprised it came with the fan already inside when purchased last week.

Pro, thank you for those pictures! Let me get that straight, the red (hot) and black (ground) wires are fed into the cable ribbon?

I got a email from Coolsat. They told me they might can fix it, and put a fan in my receiver.
Right now I am on sick leave (back surgery) and my paycheck is 1/2 pay. It would be awhile before I sent it to them, IF I decide to do so. Are those receivers warranted for 5 years?

Pro, thank you for those pictures! Let me get that straight, the red (hot) and black (ground) wires are fed into the cable ribbon?

Yea looks like the original owner did feed the fan's power/ground right into the ribbon at the correct input. Works fine too.

Pro, can you take a closer picture of where the red and black wires feed into the cable ribbon?
I really appreciate the pictures you have taken and gives me hope of fixing my overheating problem.
I may be wrong, but it seems the CS8000 heats up more when I am tuned in to a HD channel.
That is when the blacking out of my box takes place. While watching regular SD channels the receiver never act up. I saw a thread about a heating situation when a 8psk board is added to the 9200HD receiver and fans were needed.

Pro, can you take a closer picture of where the red and black wires feed into the cable ribbon?
I really appreciate the pictures you have taken and gives me hope of fixing my overheating problem.
I may be wrong, but it seems the CS8000 heats up more when I am tuned in to a HD channel.
That is when the blacking out of my box takes place. While watching regular SD channels the receiver never act up. I saw a thread about a heating situation when a 8psk board is added to the 9200HD receiver and fans were needed.

Ok I can do that today. In fact I will leave the picture with bigger size for you to be able to see it in great detail.

As far as HD channels are concern, yes it does get warmer then standard ones with me as well with the CS8000.

It appears that Coolsat tried playing around with different size heatsinks to resolve this overheating problem. If you look at the photo that BJ posted the "silver" heatsink covers the entire microprocessor chip. When you look at the photo that pro96 posted the "black" heatsink is much smaller. I wonder why Coolsat didn't just go with a computer style fan to begin with. Probably a cost thing. Oh well at least its not too hard to modify. Good job guys.

I'll have to take a pic of mine because I got one of the 1st versions of those....the ones that didnt have satellite software in it ;)

I'll have to take a pic of mine because I got one of the 1st versions of those....the ones that didnt have satellite software in it ;)

You have the OG of the Coolsat's then :D

yep...from the review 2/4/07

Turned the box on and was greeted with an option for auto scan or manual scan. When I select auto scan, it is going to scan OTA. Apparently the original boxes they forgot a minor thing and that is the software for the DVB portion. I think the newest batch has this built in. Well I figured lets scan the OTA and see what happens. Since all my digital channels are UHF, I only need the UHF band. If you have digital channels on 2-13 you’ll need to do 2 scans, one for UHF and one for VHF. I set the low and high for UHF and set it to 1000k steps and hit OK. The box started scanning and in a few minutes, I had my local channels. I noticed they labeled them as 1XXX, 1 just because, the next 2 the actual channel and the last for -1, -2 etc. I was able to sort them how I wanted them to and had a EPG right away. So I was happy but the fact I had no DVB I wasn’t happy.

So I found some software that will work. EDIT 2/5/07 19:15 There is a factory software that will work with both DVB and OTA and is 100% legal. Before this, I had third party software that didn't get anything it shoudln't have but was third party. I have downloaded the new factory software in the box. I have posted a zip file at the end of the post for those in the same boat. So now I really get to see what this can do.

It appears that Coolsat tried playing around with different size heatsinks to resolve this overheating problem. If you look at the photo that BJ posted the "silver" heatsink covers the entire microprocessor chip. When you look at the photo that pro96 posted the "black" heatsink is much smaller. I wonder why Coolsat didn't just go with a computer style fan to begin with. Probably a cost thing. Oh well at least its not too hard to modify. Good job guys.

My CS8000 has the small black heatsink on its processor. And that rascal is very hot to the touch! I got some small heatsinks that may fit over the processor.
I noticed that the small silver heatsink near the right wall is also hot as well.
After studying Pro's pictures of his fan setup, I looked at mine and saw that on the PC board where the cable ribbon plugs in, there are descriptions of each wire that the plug has. I noticed that the second slot is the GND and the 5th slot is the 12V. The computer fan I have is a 12 volt fan that rested on the computer's processor. I cut and stripped the red and black leads and work it into those slots. I glued the fan facing the motherboard where the air will blow toward the processor and its heatsink.
Got the receiver back on, and ta daaa... got air circulation in the receiver! Only thing is that the fan will remain on all the time, even if I have it off when not watching tv.
Pro, please post that picture you promised me! Maybe that picture will help other guys with the same problems of overheating.
The receiver has been on now for over 30 minutes and it hasn't shut down and rebooted. The fan is really quiet (has ball bearing type). :)
I will keep watch on it throughout the evening and post results.
Thanks again, guys, especially you Pro! If you haven't posted those pictures that receiver would drove me crazy! :eek:

Fan MOD on a Coolsat 8000. You will need to open your receiver which might void your warranty (if any). I am not responsible if you end up ruining you receiver. Your actions from this point on are on the end user. Good luck.

When looking at the ribbon cable, the black ribbon wire is on the left.

From right to left, ribbon cable #2 is for ground (as pictured)

From right to left, ribbon cable #5 is for power (as pictured)

Attachments

• 8000-fan.JPG
    8000-fan.JPG
    463.1 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
My CS8000 has the small black heatsink on its processor. And that rascal is very hot to the touch! I got some small heatsinks that may fit over the processor.
I noticed that the small silver heatsink near the right wall is also hot as well.
After studying Pro's pictures of his fan setup, I looked at mine and saw that on the PC board where the cable ribbon plugs in, there are descriptions of each wire that the plug has. I noticed that the second slot is the GND and the 5th slot is the 12V. The computer fan I have is a 12 volt fan that rested on the computer's processor. I cut and stripped the red and black leads and work it into those slots. I glued the fan facing the motherboard where the air will blow toward the processor and its heatsink.
Got the receiver back on, and ta daaa... got air circulation in the receiver! Only thing is that the fan will remain on all the time, even if I have it off when not watching tv.
Pro, please post that picture you promised me! Maybe that picture will help other guys with the same problems of overheating.
The receiver has been on now for over 30 minutes and it hasn't shut down and rebooted. The fan is really quiet (has ball bearing type). :)
I will keep watch on it throughout the evening and post results.
Thanks again, guys, especially you Pro! If you haven't posted those pictures that receiver would drove me crazy! :eek:

hehe, cool deal. I did not notice your post that you have already did the fan mod on your 8000. I'd still posted the picture for future reference.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)