CS8000 woes

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Thanks again, Pro!!!
I did exactly that and so far my receiver has not shut down, rebooted, and anything else!
The box is so much cooler to the touch as well. I can place my hand over the top and feel that breeze come out of those vents.
You took great pictures and this one was really detailed, along with the arrows in the right places. I took my hot melt glue gun and touch the red and black lead wires to the cable ribbon so those wires won't wiggle and come loose. I even hot glued the fan to the chassic next to the motherboard so the breeze can circulate thru the main area of heat.
I will keep you all posted on how it doing for a few more days...

It is now 11:30. The CS8000 has been on since nearly 9:00. I have been on both SD and HD channels on AMC 21. This receiver is just WARM to the touch and I can feel the air flowing thru the lid vents. Not one time did this box messed up.
So far, this fan installation helped it!
I will keep you posted for a coupla days on how this is working.

I had the CS8000 on for awhile today and it hasn't caused any problems.
I hope this thread will help some of you guys facing heating problems with the Coolsat.
Thanks to BJ and Pro for steering me in the right direction...

Cool deal, or shall we say a coolsat deal now with that fan.. hehe

pics of mine...sorry if they are not the best

Attachments

• 100_0270.jpg
    100_0270.jpg
    443.8 KB · Views: 142
  • 100_0269.jpg
    100_0269.jpg
    578.5 KB · Views: 150
  • 100_0267.jpg
    100_0267.jpg
    531.2 KB · Views: 148
  • 100_0265.jpg
    100_0265.jpg
    490.9 KB · Views: 146
Wow, I see why your box get very hot, Iceberg. Maybe you can find one of the computer processor heatsink and put on your box processor. I bet you will find the difference real quick!
Plus putting a fan in your box as well. Like Pro said, heat is the killer of FTA boxes.

Maybe you will be fine. You mentioned is earlier posts you had to place the box somewhere else because of the heat it generate. Since I mod my box with a fan, it doesn't get as hot as it was. It stay warm to the touch. Try it Iceberg and see what happens.

From engineering standpoint internally located fan will increase temperature. :down

If you put it like on those mods on top cover - be sure there are plenty holes to allow outside air coming into receiver.
Preferable use bigger fan - 80mm or 120mm with lover then nominal voltage ~5 VDC vs 12 VDC, what should be just barely enough to rotate blades. It will create adequate air flow and will reduce acoustic noise.

My theory is this

If it works without one....thats all that matters
If you put a fan in the receiver since there is room and it works.....thats all that matters
If you decide to put a 20" room fan aimed at the top of the receiver to cool it down and it works...thats all that matters

Thats what makes the FTA area fun. Trying new things :)

Hey mrFTAman. Sorry I didn't get to you earlier, seems we both have trouble staying away from doctors & hospitals :rant:. If you have further troubles, look carefully at your ribbon cable, especially if there are sharp bends. This is where these cables appear to fail the most, usually when aged. You'll have to look close, but there will generally be a break in the insulation and will usually be in most/all the wires in the bend (mostly around connectors). In these cases, it is possible for neighboring wires to "get together" and wreak havok -- commonly known as a SHORT - ha :D.

Another thing for the "techies", on ribbon cables, the odd-colored wire, usually red, sometimes blue or other, SHOULD be number ONE. Don't get me wrong, PRO96, the information you gave was invaluable, informational, and apparently Johnnie-on-the-spot :bow. I commend the super responses by all, just wanted to add my little bit of help, you know, a day late & dollar short.

MrFTAman, should you need help with a damaged ribbon, gimme a shout. I've dealt with a few at work and at home and will be glad to help if I can. Good luck with the back repair, hope all goes REAL WELL and that you get back to work soon.

DD

Come back to work soon? Hell, this is VACATION for me, Dishdigger! LOL
Thanks for the offer. At this point the CS is running great and cooler. How are you coming along with your new system?

Iceberg, I mentioned in a previous PM to you that I may have to suspend my internet service because of financial situation the sick leave pay (half pay, with child support and insurances and taxes STILL coming out) pose on me. I decided to hang on since I will go nuts without it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)