D* uses every trick in the book...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kevstok

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 21, 2004
Wylie, TX
...to either get another 1 yr commitment or more money out of their customers. I am in the process of moving and called for the movers service. In order to get it free, you have to commit to another 1 yr of programming or pay $99. No way! I have just over a month left on my current commitment and am leaving for FIOS TV. Goodbye and good riddance D*!

They have every reason to do that!!

It costs them to have their installers come out to install the service in your new home. They have to recoup their costs somehow.

Beyond the installers, they are also giving you a free dish at your new location + the cabling. Pretty good deal as I just did it...

Who is supposed to be taking the risk, the business or the customer? 1 or 2 year commitments forces the customer to be taking the risks... backwards IMO.

Jerry

What costs do they need to make up! I am istalling all the wiring ahead of time. I paid for the original dish out of my own pocket when I first joined so it is NOT a free dish. If they want to keep more customers, they better find more ways to keep them satisfied because more/better competition is coming! Goodbye D*, hello FIOS!!!!!

Hrm. I move and DTV will send out an installer and give me a new dish and do the wiring at no charge. And its only another year commitment?

Are all guys really so afraid of the "C" word?? Jeez, they are just trying to keep customers. It wouldn't exactly be profitable for them to do all this if you went with another provider a week later. They are just ensuring that you are going to stay with them. And if you take up the mover's program, why would you mind staying on another year?

I just really don't understand some people in this world.

directv should provide all recievers, dishes, wiring and etc free because to pay for service you need them....

i pay for my tv because i can use it for multi services, but when a comany wants to sell me their service the add ons is their nickle, as i am paying for the service not the hardware

Enjoy your FIOS, you are in like 1% of the nation that can get it, VoOm had more subs than that. D* should be able to recoup costs. They have offered free installation for more than 8 years on new setups, if you move they should be able to know you will stink with them so it is worth their while.

They are a company, successful companies are in business to make money ... and nothing else.

I can't understand ...I thought when you move and you are a direct customer already, the install should be free. This is the kind of stuff thing you just can't explain. Oh well....another lost customer.

h0m3rs1mps0n said:
Hrm. I move and DTV will send out an installer and give me a new dish and do the wiring at no charge. And its only another year commitment?
They are not GIVING me a new dish! They are replacing the one that I have already paid for and that they don't want to climb up and remove from my other house. And do what wiring? I have already said, I have done all the wiring. All they have to do is connect the dang dish and align it. $99, forget it. I am not asking for it free but I have no intention of signing another 1 yr commitment or pay $99 to keep their service just because I am moving. I'll live off of an antenna for a few weeks until FIOS is ready. You guys can continue to kiss D* butt and pay these fees and commitments but not me.

kevstok said:
They are not GIVING me a new dish! They are replacing the one that I have already paid for and that they don't want to climb up and remove from my other house. And do what wiring? I have already said, I have done all the wiring. All they have to do is connect the dang dish and align it. $99, forget it. I am not asking for it free but I have no intention of signing another 1 yr commitment or pay $99 to keep their service just because I am moving. I'll live off of an antenna for a few weeks until FIOS is ready. You guys can continue to kiss D* butt and pay these fees and commitments but not me.
May you enjoy your over the air TV and may FIOS be prompt because you don't want to miss your Directv programming too much because you are CHEAP. :) In fact you are such a pro you have prewired why don't you just buy another dish and align the system yourself seeing you don't feel it is worth $99, and you are not asking for it FREE.

kevstok said:
...to either get another 1 yr commitment or more money out of their customers. I am in the process of moving and called for the movers service. In order to get it free, you have to commit to another 1 yr of programming or pay $99. No way! I have just over a month left on my current commitment and am leaving for FIOS TV. Goodbye and good riddance D*!

You do know that it costs DirecTV significantly more to do your install than they recoup from 1 month of service. If you think companies should lose money to keep you as a customer you're smoking something.

kevstok said:

I didn't know directv was a non-profit company now! :smug

kevstok said:

Yeah I am with ICE, take the dish with you. I am not too bad of a D* butt-kisser, they are just the best provider in my area ... and they comp me plenty.

slacker9876 said:
Yeah I am with ICE, take the dish with you. I am not too bad of a D* butt-kisser, they are just the best provider in my area ... and they comp me plenty.

Exactly - you don't want to sign up for 1 more year - already paid for your existing dish, take it and set it up. D* won't charge you and you don't have to commit.

RicS said:
Beyond the installers, they are also giving you a free dish at your new location + the cabling. Pretty good deal as I just did it...
You can count the cost of the installers if you wish, but you CAN NOT count the hardware. THEY LOVE the fact that you are leaving the old stuff behind. They get the new owner to be a customer.

I personally would want Directv no matter where I moved. The 1 year commitment is not an issue for me. Now, the matter of the setup charge. If you have been a customer of Directv then they are very willing to work with you on this issue, but if you don't want to pay, it is very easy to setup the dish. So, quit whining and take the dish down and set it up. You seem to be knowledgable enough to do it.

Now, my rant, why is it that people are all freaked by charges that are actually legit. There are people coming out to set up your equipment at your house at a very reasonable fee. If you don't like it, go with cable. I've been all over the US in the military and I haven't had a cable system that didn't charge a set up fee. For what? The cable guy comes out and removes a filter and whola! tv. They charge for that set up. In some cases it is just activating from a hub. In other cases the signal is already there and they still charge you. Try to set your own stuff up with cable.

Hey, good luck. Maybe some day when we are ruled by communists we will all get free TV and the nice government will come at the exact time that they said and install are dish exactly where we want it. And then the nice communists will show us how to change the channel from channel 1, "Your Daily Communist Propaganda" to channel 2, "Your National Anthem", and oh yea maybe they will add a third channel airing only on Sundays, "Saturday Night Live."

well I personally don't like the commitment charge.......I've been with D* for 5 years, bought all my equipment and installed myself. I just bought the HDDVR a few months back (not from D*) and they want a 2 year commitment, this I don't understand. oh and btw before some wiseass says something about paying the bill, I've never missed a payment or ever been late as far as that goes.....use EFT

kevstok said:
What costs do they need to make up! I am istalling all the wiring ahead of time. I paid for the original dish out of my own pocket when I first joined so it is NOT a free dish. If they want to keep more customers, they better find more ways to keep them satisfied because more/better competition is coming! Goodbye D*, hello FIOS!!!!!

They put a new dish in at the new location. THAT is the free dish. And good business is guaranteeing they can recoup this by locking you in for another year. No, I don't like it either, but if I were in business, I, sure as hell, would do the same.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Transponder B & C Failed...

Channel 879

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)