Direct TV pays the NFL even if season is cancelled

Status
Please reply by conversation.
It says they pay upfront and will receive credit for time lost (if any). I think a lot of people and companies agree to these types of terms.

Remember that $600M is also speaking of lost revenue, not necessarily what they will have to pay the NFL.
Lost money in from customer renewals, customers adding NFLST, and new subscribers driven from an NFL promo.

And don`t forget, the people that currently receive Sunday Ticket. Is DTV going to give them a credit with a 12 month wait?
Or, since DTV will already have your money, and will gladly hold it, giving you nothing for 12 months, until next season.
Then you can simply pay the difference from your credit and the new, higher fee.

Maybe DTV`s contingecy plan is to show the Sunday Ticket holder the Lingerie League, CFL

Wait till a bar owner, race track, etc... sues the NFL, DTV, and whoever over loss of Sunday revenues.

I remember when I posted this a few years ago predicting this lockout with DIRECTV footing the bill and people started calling me a DIRECTV hater.

Looks like I was correct in my prediction. DIRECTV is on the hook for paying the NFL.

I dont like DIRECTV and I dont hate DIRECTV, much as I dont like DISH and dont hate them eaither.

I am a lover of the technology and the hobby of Satellite. No more no less. I only report on things I see or that I think will happen. And in this case I was correct. I will also be the first to admit I am not always correct.

It says they pay upfront and will receive credit for time lost (if any). I think a lot of people and companies agree to these types of terms.
The article states they only get a partial refund and that 43% is non-refundable. So, they pay a billion dollars and get $670mm back. That really sounds like a poor negotiation point to me.

The article states they only get a partial refund and that 43% is non-refundable. So, they pay a billion dollars and get $670mm back.
Check your math, pilgrim. $100,000,000 is not a neglible amount of money.
That really sounds like a poor negotiation point to me.
Contracts this size are almost always loaded with discounts that are based on improbabilities.

I remember when I posted this a few years ago predicting this lockout with DIRECTV footing the bill and people started calling me a DIRECTV hater.

Looks like I was correct in my prediction. DIRECTV is on the hook for paying the NFL.

I dont like DIRECTV and I dont hate DIRECTV, much as I dont like DISH and dont hate them eaither.

I am a lover of the technology and the hobby of Satellite. No more no less. I only report on things I see or that I think will happen. And in this case I was correct. I will also be the first to admit I am not always correct.

Well said scott... :eek:k:

Serves them right. Maybe D* should stop tech charge backs for their faulty equipment. What goes around comes around I guess.

GO-PACK-GO

I STILL say it will get resolved before it gets to that point.

Of course, I don't know about DirecTV, but it's not uncommon for networks to take out insurance to cover themselves against loss if some high priced program event, like the Olympics, is canceled for some reason like terrorism or a natural disaster. So it would make sense that DirecTV might do the same with the NFL games.

Of course, I don't know about DirecTV, but it's not uncommon for networks to take out insurance to cover themselves against loss if some high priced program event, like the Olympics, is canceled for some reason like terrorism or a natural disaster. So it would make sense that DirecTV might do the same with the NFL games.

I agree with this, you can pretty much guarantee that this is the case.

this might be nut, can't the players take them to court and have it block? just they last week with CBS & FOX?

Directv is on the hook to pay the NFL reguardless, and if they don't play they will get a partial refund.

As far as customers, if the NFL season is completely cancelled and not a single game is played, then I would think Directv would be obligated to refund everyones money. The number of customers who would threaten to cancel over being charged for a package they never received, BBB complaints, Attorney General Complaints, and potential class action lawsuits is enough to make Directv think twice.

Now if there is atleast 1 game played, it becomes a grey area because then the question is does the customer get a partial refund, or no refund at all? Its the same thing if you bought the package 3 weeks after the season started, you still pay full price until the half season special comes around.

I will say one thing, if I where Charlie Ergen I would love to see the NFL season cancelled. There would be so many angry customers out there, they would blame the loss of the NFL on Directv and switch to Dish.

MacDawg said:
I cancelled my Sunday Ticket yesterday. I'm not getting taken to the ringer no more. I really didn't miss nothing the last 5 years being a Browns fan
in Va. hahaha So no biggy.

No,no,no, now is the time you NEED the ST the Most ...
Being a Browns fan, this is your only option to watch better teams !!!

I haven't missed the Rowns the last 5 years either ....

Go STEELER'S !

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

And you do it with fairness.

Could this be incentive for DirecTV to step up in delivering national high definition?

The closest the broadcast networks have to insurance is the fact that if the entire season is cancelled, a year gets added on to their contracts with the NFL to replace the one just cancelled...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)