Directv Press Conference Recap

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Really? I also have had all three and always thought the Motorola was better than the HR20-700 :eek:

Yikes! The HR20 is THAT bad? I honestly haven't tried either (I've personally only used the old D* Tivo and the 622). But the chorus of complaints on this website leads me to believe they are both junk. Which one is worse is kinda like deciding whether a Big Mac or a Whopper is worse for your health.

Now that Comcrap is finally getting Tivo software onto their Moto boxes (we hope), that leaves D* as the only major provider of a DVR not worth owning.

The HR20 is actually a very good DVR when it works. The problem is, there are more than a few exceptions of bugs, lemons, and poor software releases. Mine has been pretty good until they released Network features, Media features and OTA. It locked up numerous times and reboots until I turned the features off. I think they gotta iron out the bugs and make it solid. If they do, its a good DVR.

Still talking about CGS. They introduce Fatality, who will be exclusive to Directv over the next couple years.

- Broadcast to over 100 million homes worldwide (with parnerships in Europe and Asia)
- Franchised teams, salaried GMs, player draft.

Treat professional gaming just like other sports on Directv.

Something that will be "really really" special. 2007 is truely going to be the year that Directv brings professional video gaming to the masses.

Treat professional gaming just like other sports on Directv.
Sports? Not even close.

Remaining Locals in hd has been pushed back to launch in 3rd quarter 2007

this is from
Robert Mercer
Director, Public Relations
DIRECTV, Inc.
(310) 726-4683

My apologies. Priorities often change in this business and unfortunately a decision was made to put a hold on all remaining HD local markets until we launch the new satellites mid-year and have adequate capacity. Sorry for the false start. The markets will launch later this year - likely in the Q3 time frame. I hope you'll hang in there with us. Robert

OMG the absolute horror of corporate honesty. What will the haters & bashers do now? LOL

Thanks for the info post HDTV

Frankly I havent heard much about any technology out of CES this year that really excites me. Its been pretty much a dud so far. Even the stuff out of the HD DVD camp is not really unexpected or ground breaking.

OMG the absolute horror of corporate honesty. What will the haters & bashers do now? LOL

Thanks for the info post HDTV

honesty? They had a chance to be honest and ran from it. You have a strange definition of the word. But you make your living from D* and your comments need to be taken with a grain of salt. But defending them as honest is a bit like giving OJ the benefit of a doubt.

Thanks for the report HokieE. I can't believe I actually subscribe to these liar's and bafoon's service!

Who the hell does their research? The Marx Brothers or the three stooges?
They must believe everyone owns a 1947 Crosley TV.

I believe the only way they will do these HD Nationals they claim is if they dumb down the HD Lite to "SD Lite" This is how they can claim "HD SciFi Channel"

DirecTV is still running on the momentum of the past 20th century superior dbs provider reputation. Too bad it has had such a bumpy ride since getting spun off from GM. Now the people speaking for them appear to be morons.

Now run by a bunch of who don't even know whats HD and have to lie about their offerings plans for the second year in a row. I'm embarrassed to admit, as a HT enthusiast, and a long time HDTV enthusiast, I actually pay them money each month. Its not the same company I once was proud to be a subscriber.
DirecTV you are an embarrassment!

The real problem with DirecTV's today is Dish Network really has no competition except for NFL ST and that package is really debatable as it continues to be diluted in value each year.

What would have impressed me is if DirecTV spokes person got up and said our research indicates our customers want better quality HDTV and we promise to deliver that in 2007. It will cost in the form of fewer HDTV channels but we are committed to give our customers the highest HDTV bitrate and resolution allowed by law. In addition, when the NFL ST HD is airing, we plan to announce certain low viewership HD channels that these HD channels are being temporarily reduced from HDTV to Enhanced Definition until the games are over. This new policy will remain in effect until our new satellites are in place and we can deliver all the prresent HD channels in full Hidef at the same time. In addition, after these satellites are in place we are comitted to bring you more content, more channels. But no, they had to insult us with more lies. What a shame.

I plan to visit with their people and let them hear this in person.

Thanks for the report HokieE. I can't believe I actually subscribe to these liar's and bafoon's service!

I believe the only way they will do these HD Nationals they claim is if they dumb down the HD Lite to "SD Lite" This is how they can claim "HD SciFi Channel"

DirecTV is still running on the momentum of the past 20th century superior dbs provider reputation. Too bad it has had such a bumpy ride since getting spun off from GM. Now the people speaking for them appear to be morons.

Now run by a bunch of who don't even know whats HD and have to lie about their offerings plans for the second year in a row. I'm embarrassed to admit, as a HT enthusiast, and a long time HDTV enthusiast, I actually pay them money each month. Its not the same company I once was proud to be a subscriber.

The real problem with DirecTV's today is Dish Network really has no competition except for NFL ST and that package is really debatable as it continues to be diluted in value each year.

What would have impressed me is if DirecTV spokes person got up and said our research indicates our customers want better quality HDTV and we promise to deliver that in 2007. It will cost in the form of fewer HDTV channels but we are committed to give our customers the highest HDTV bitrate and resolution allowed by law. In addition, when the NFL ST HD is airing, we plan to announce certain low viewership HD channels that these HD channels are being temporarily reduced from HDTV to Enhanced Definition until the games are over. This new policy will remain in effect until our new satellites are in place and we can deliver all the prresent HD channels in full Hidef at the same time. In addition, after these satellites are in place we are comitted to bring you more content, more channels. But no, they had to insult us with more lies. What a shame.

Don: When you do, Please let them know you are speaking for me as well.

Obviously, they believe their own "Daisy Duke" commercial:

"I don't know what 1080i is..."

Don,

you couldn't have said it better. Please do post after talking with them. We would like to hear their freaking answer even if it is a freaking lie...

Yikes! The HR20 is THAT bad? I honestly haven't tried either (I've personally only used the old D* Tivo and the 622). But the chorus of complaints on this website leads me to believe they are both junk. Which one is worse is kinda like deciding whether a Big Mac or a Whopper is worse for your health.

Now that Comcrap is finally getting Tivo software onto their Moto boxes (we hope), that leaves D* as the only major provider of a DVR not worth owning.

Your reading into all tyhr reports from all the DISH peoplel that think thier DVR is far superior. The 622 has plenty of problems as well, just look on the DISH forum and you will see that.
The HR-20-700 has been out for what ? 3 months, D* is working to improve it with various updates.
If you look around you will find plenty of people that have had very little trouble with their HR-20-700's

Jimbo

Last edited:
I guess I dont see the big issue with what D* said.

I think we all know the deal. We have to wait and see what happens when the new sats are up.

(They are still going up right?)

(If and) When they go up we will know what D* can deliver on and what they cant. As for contracts in place with HD channels as soon as they become available, whats not to like about that?

The gaming part always made me scratch my head. Perhaps its geared toward the younger gamer. Sports Illustrated did a piece a few weeks ago about pro gamers who made some good money doing it. Ofcourse I was thinking where was that when I was beating my friends at NHL hockey even with pulling my goalie for the game!

D* disappointed me for a while with the NESN HD when it was pixilated and stuttering but after a couple of months of tinkering they fixed it.

I think we all have to sit back and wait for this new technology to take shape. For those who counter well they charge me for a poor product I say go to E* or Comcast and see if theyre any better. The E* forums are littered with complaints similar to those D* customers have. As for comcast, after I saw how they butchered the HD instilation at my father inlaws... I know they have their own issues.

Im ready to wait D* out. For those who arent good luck finding better and I hope your happy when you move.

Nascar is GOD south of the Mason Dixon line so while in Ohio and here in Boston Im not revved up about it Im sure some guy in Kentucky is doing backflips.

That would be Billy-Bob. Only he don't do no more flips since his back went out. Taught the dog to do 'em for him, every time he pops a brew. :p

Yes, NASCAR - NASCAR! is going to help spread the HD revolution "down heah." A big TV with purty pictures- yep. Put it in HD and it'll sell HDTVs.

OK Guys Are you ready for my report?

Big Surprise! Even bigger secret but I'm not going to hold it back from you.

The biggest kept secret is what I discovered about DirecTV today.

I spent quit a bit of time trying to locate their booth. Nowhere to be found. I asked numerous CES officials and finally one told me to seek out "Kevin" in the Concierege tent. Found Kevin and yes he seemed to be the only one who knew something. Said DirecTV did not have a booth at CES this year but did have a room at the Hilton. So I trek over to the Hilton and ask again. No booth at the Hilton either but got directions to their suite. When I arrived on the 5th floor. There were signs pointing to the room for DirecTV. OK that's a good sign. But when I got there, there was a paper tacked on the door that said closed for a meeting at Ceasar Palace.

The search for DirecTV continues... Tomorrow, maybe. But frankly, Maybe its a lost cause. If this is true they have no presence except for private meetings. Sorry, but they have no one at CES for the first time in the history of the company. Folks, this looks extremely bad for the world's largest dbs provider. Not only don't they do HDTV anymore but now don't have presence at CES.

The concern I have is that while at the closed door at the Hilton some others were there searching too and they said the Ceasars was closed for a meeting too. No public. Plus, you can only get a shuttle bus as a return trip. Those of you who have been to these conventions know the bus drill so it's either walk or get a cab. I know D* has been losing money for years but if they don't have presence at CES it sends a really scarry message to their subscribers. That includes me.

IIRC, Scott had mentioned that access to DirecTV's CES room was "invitation only" and that he had an invitation.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts