DIRECTV reaches deal with Tribune (Or maybe not!)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Whiteyguy said:
Huh imagine that. guess Direct Tv didn't get the job done after all. its all good though, That would have given Direct Tv an excuse to raise there prices

Technically they did. Tribune reneged.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I think Tribune Broadcasting offered DIRECTV a deal that would have avoided the blackout. DIRECTV then had a meeting to decided wheather to acept that offer or to go back to the table to try to get a better deal. DIRECTV decided to accept the offer and released an artical saying that they now have an agreement. Then Tribune Broadcasting reniged on that offer. Called DIRECTV a liar and accused them of misleading their customers. They probably reniged due to pressure from their creditors. My guess they are trying to make DIRECTV pay an outrageous price, to pay for all their bad bussiness decisons that lead them into bankruptcy. I think it will take awhile to get them back because they can use the blackout as leverage to get what they want and hopping that they will lose customers in the process.

a deal will likely be by next wknd and probably not much more than what was originally agreed to. WGN-a is the sticking point and its not that big of a loss.

a deal will likely be by next wknd and probably not much more than what was originally agreed to. WGN-a is the sticking point and its not that big of a loss.

Depends on the market. Here in Sacramento DTV lost their local fox station.. That's pretty major in my book

One self-correction I would make, is back then the Comcast I'm referring to was called AT&T Broadband, before Comcast swooped in and locked up most of the area buying them and the other smaller providers.

More info for you, going further back than 2009:

Chicagoland Television - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And this is still just a distracting minor point in the fact of Tribune trying to squeeze DTV, which if it succeeds, all the other locals will join the bandwagon, and guess who'll then be paying for it? Sure won't be DTV and I don't expect them to. What we pay for now with the locals is the hardware and tech support to get local tv into DTV's system, not the programming itself. To me, Tribune's crossing a line with this in insisting we pay for broadcast tv programming that supposed to be already advertiser paid for.

before AT&T cable as well it was on TCI, US cable, Jones Intercable, and others had it. There was a short time that there where cubs game on CLTV moved off of WGN (wgn america was just about the same feed back then) (due to MLB rules). That was Short lived and the games moved over to sports channel / sports channel plus (used the cltv slot) (sports channel plus was on satellite tv and cable systems? out side of the Chicago area but in the cubs area as well some systems in Chicago are that did not have CLTV) I think TCI took over most of the systems later on then AT&T and then comcast. Comcast HITS systems was TCI systems. Also the dual 60 channel A/B super head in mount prospect IL did do digital cable simulation on analog useing the B side for some time before rebuilding the system as one side only.

The later on ameritech cable now WOW cable did not have CLTV or the Chicago wolfs channel (not it real name) now CN100. But wow did keep lot's of channels on analog and had CSN and CSN + on analog at a time when moved CLTV to stater so at that time you did not get CSN + on a the free DTA so you had to pay $7+ a tv to get CSN + and I was telling people to get directv where you only payed $5 a tv and you also got speed, fox movie and others with out needing a sports pack. 3-4 years ago Comcast was poor deal next to directv (still has the same gui with little updates and still the same poor channel map) I can give links to other forums with more history.

Huh imagine that. guess Direct Tv didn't get the job done after all. its all good though, That would have given Direct Tv an excuse to raise there prices

thats OK troll. Go back to the Dish area where they'll drop a channel in a few days

Iceberg said:
thats OK troll. Go back to the Dish area where they'll drop a channel in a few days

You say that as if Direct subs don't troll the Dish forums. LOL.

People have their preferred providers and trolling is part of Internet boards. Barring serious policing efforts (that I doubt anyone wants to see implemented here), it's going to happen. No sense in feeding the troll by reacting in a similar fashion.

I think Tribune Broadcasting offered DIRECTV a deal that would have avoided the blackout. DIRECTV then had a meeting to decided wheather to acept that offer or to go back to the table to try to get a better deal. DIRECTV decided to accept the offer and released an artical saying that they now have an agreement. Then Tribune Broadcasting reniged on that offer. Called DIRECTV a liar and accused them of misleading their customers. They probably reniged due to pressure from their creditors. My guess they are trying to make DIRECTV pay an outrageous price, to pay for all their bad bussiness decisons that lead them into bankruptcy. I think it will take awhile to get them back because they can use the blackout as leverage to get what they want and hopping that they will lose customers in the process.
more like directv thought they had a deal on the counteroffer just for locals (and no I am not blaming Directv)

This does happen a lot. Look at how Disney got Soapnet on so many providers. They hijacked ESPN, Disney Channel, ABC, etc and forced providers to pick these channels up. Outside of TV/Radio this action is frowned upon. Wait until contracts are up with NBC. Comcast will use that as a sticking point to try to force G4 back on DirecTV. Not wanting Fuse is why MSG is gone from Dish. This kind of crap goes on all the time, and it's a bad business that our,government allows. That's why the FCC is useless. They are around when Howard Stern swore and Janet Jackson's floppy tittie hang out, but hide in their cubicles when they are really needed.

Last edited:
You say that as if Direct subs don't troll the Dish forums. LOL.

People have their preferred providers and trolling is part of Internet boards. Barring serious policing efforts (that I doubt anyone wants to see implemented here), it's going to happen. No sense in feeding the troll by reacting in a similar fashion.

If Directv subs are going to the Dish forum just to troll, they should be called out on it. Trolling may be part of the internet, but it shouldn't be part of this board. We, or at least most of us, are better than that. Certain species of animals don't seem to get that.

Depends on the market. Here in Sacramento DTV lost their local fox station.. That's pretty major in my book

but users have options to re-obtain their local affiliates if they choose; one option is a good OTA attached to the back of their TV; they should have had one all along anyway

you can't just re-obtain WGN-a

but users have options to re-obtain their local affiliates if they choose; one option is a good OTA attached to the back of their TV; they should have had one all along anyway

you can't just re-obtain WGN-a

They could also purchase the DIRECTV AM21 Tunner for their DIRECTV Reciever so that they can access over the air channels from their box. So THey don't have to switch between inputs on their television and they will also have guide data.

One nice thing about having an HR20 is the built in OTA tuner.
Even though I have always had a small indoor OTA tuner plugged into my HR20 and hidden behind my TV, I never use it. I did add the KTLA 5-1, the OTA feed, to my guide last night. Like I said, I never watch this channel so it is no big deal too me.

The one I am most concerned with, although not all that much, is WGN America.

tribune company has had financial problems for years. that is one of the reason they sold the cubs and wrigley field.

Status
Please reply by conversation.