Directv to shift away from Satellite?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Actually I saw it as another option to Satellite . You got DIRECTV Satellite and then you got DIRECTVNOW , no satellite, I did not take the commercial as advocating getting rid of satellite

Virtually no one unless you have money to burn is going to get both what would be the point? Everything taking place is because people are balking on spending so much on TV not to pay for two services. Also you can watch on your mobile the TV from Directv already. It's clear they are directly comparing Directv Now to Satellite service. For your scenario to work they should have shown dumping Cable, or maybe DISH anything but just to say to dump Satellite.

Virtually no one unless you have money to burn is going to get both what would be the point? Everything taking place is because people are balking on spending so much on TV not to pay for two services. Also you can watch on your mobile the TV from Directv already. It's clear they are directly comparing Directv Now to Satellite service. For your scenario to work they should have shown dumping Cable, or maybe DISH anything but just to say to dump Satellite.

Of course no one will get both. I never implied such a thing. You have an option , as I stated, either Directv or DirectvNow.

It was this in your post that made me think you meant both. "You got DIRECTV Satellite and then you got DIRECTVNOW" Not you had Directv and instead will get Directv Now. Thanks for clarifying.
However it doesn't change that At&t is actually advertising to throw out one of the services they provide. As I posted DISH has managed not to suggest dropping DISH and walk the fine line of simply suggesting to those who will not get traditional service this is an alternative.

Reactions: Jillian2
I agree but I will say that
1. Ma Bell may infact spin off D* and I hope they do
2. I honestly believe AT&T is banking on streaming over traditional methods of tv delivery
3. DirecTV equipment is getting worse. I don't even have words for how God awful the genie 2 is. Dish is starting to look like an option for me again.
Of course they are banking on the Streaming side of things ... but like I keep saying, there nothing wrong with adding to what you have.
As for your comment about the Genie 2 ...
Some have No Issues with it, others do.

Me personally, I have told people since it came out to NOT get it ... UNLESS your NEW to D* ... if your an existing sub I would never recommend it ...

Reactions: Pere845
It was this in your post that made me think you meant both. "You got DIRECTV Satellite and then you got DIRECTVNOW" Not you had Directv and instead will get Directv Now. Thanks for clarifying.
However it doesn't change that At&t is actually advertising to throw out one of the services they provide. As I posted DISH has managed not to suggest dropping DISH and walk the fine line of simply suggesting to those who will not get traditional service this is an alternative.
Its just a stupid commercial ... doesn't mean they are telling you to get rid of anything.
The other companies offer you to do that (get rid of D*) already and seem to get away with it daily.

Btw, I thought the whole idea was to NOT have to Watch Commercials.

Nope, it’s another corporate entity. The ‘old’ AT&T ‘ma bell’ was absorbed into the old ‘baby bell’ SBC.
If DISH can keep Sat and Sling separate and no one is complaining about it ....
Why can't D* have Sat and thier Streaming separate ?
I feel the reason is because recently AT&T has been talking non stop about streaming and I haven't heard much about what's next for Satellite DirecTV.

I feel the reason is because recently AT&T has been talking non stop about streaming and I haven't heard much about what's next for Satellite DirecTV.
Well, if you been paying attention the last few years, everything is turning towards Streaming, so it would make perfect sense for that to happen ...
Doesn't mean they are abandoning Sat.

Fwiw, SOMEONE here mentioned that they saw that D/at&t was adding Sats to the fleet ... I personally haven't seen anything stating that, but I would be happy to see that.

Well, if you been paying attention the last few years, everything is turning towards Streaming, so it would make perfect sense for that to happen ...

Fwiw, SOMEONE here mentioned that they saw that D/at&t was adding Sats to the fleet ... I personally haven't seen anything stating that, but I would be happy to see that.

I don't think Directv/AT&T have made an official announcement, but they contracted with EADS Astrium to build the Directv T16 satellite a year or two ago. It will almost certainly go to 101, though perhaps it will go to 103 and D15 will instead move to 101.

I don't think Directv/AT&T have made an official announcement, but they contracted with EADS Astrium to build the Directv T16 satellite a year or two ago. It will almost certainly go to 101, though perhaps it will go to 103 and D15 will instead move to 101.
That was possibly/probably before the take over ?
Have they decided to put any up Since then ?

I thought I heard somewhere that they had cancelled those plans.

Reactions: JSheridan
One of the reasons they bought DTV was for their subscriber base so they could do better channel contract negotiations and they said that also helped them launch DTV NOW. They said they could have never have launched a streaming service with just UVerseTV. I think they will keep DTV but try to get the DTV customers to switch to internet streaming but they would only do that when they get their streaming service just like DTV. Then they can tell customers you can get their premium TV service with all the features DTV has but you wont need a dish on the roof to do it or bulky equipment since the DVR will be in the cloud.

Reactions: goaliebob99
One of the reasons they bought DTV was for their subscriber base so they could do better channel contract negotiations and they said that also helped them launch DTV NOW. They said they could have never have launched a streaming service with just UVerseTV. I think they will keep DTV but try to get the DTV customers to switch to internet streaming but they would only do that when they get their streaming service just like DTV. Then they can tell customers you can get their premium TV service with all the features DTV has but you wont need a dish on the roof to do it or bulky equipment since the DVR will be in the cloud.

ditching sat would eliminate much of the subscriber base.
remember sat is the only option for 15-20% of the country
i would gues 30-50% of sat customers have no other option

Reactions: Pere845
ditching sat would eliminate much of the subscriber base.
remember sat is the only option for 15-20% of the country
i would gues 30-50% of sat customers have no other option
I forgot they did say they would use SatelliteTV to the rural areas but I am not sure if they would do that until DTV NOW is just like DTV. They could use 5g or maybe fixed wireless in the rural areas. Not sure if once they get 5g fully up and running and expanded coverage that they would use 5g instead of SatelliteTV in the rural areas.

I forgot they did say they would use SatelliteTV to the rural areas but I am not sure if they would do that until DTV NOW is just like DTV. They could use 5g or maybe fixed wireless in the rural areas. Not sure if once they get 5g fully up and running and expanded coverage that they would use 5g instead of SatelliteTV in the rural areas.
I would have to see this 5g service they are talking about .... to think they can get this to EVERYONE, even out to the sticks at speeds enough to do what they are hoping to do is optimistic.

5g has a ways to go.
it would have to be unlimted data
it would have to go places without power poles (some places use underground)
it need to figure out to to penetrate foilage
then it need to be rolled out
maybe 20 years?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts