DISH / Blockbuster Announcement Discussion Thread!

My turn around time time for bb is same as netflix
Not for me. It's 2 days longer than NF and both distribution centers are in the same place. Another bitch--although they have most titles as soon as their released, actually receiving them is a different story. I have 23 titles in my que & almost all of 'em except a couple of oldies show as short wait (that can be up to 2 weeks!) to very long wait. Unfortunately, I expect this to get much worse with all the new Dish members.:( I'm hoping that eventually their inventory will catch up with demand.
Ed

Well, although I'm not paying any more than I did before for this new service, I had been thinking about dropping Netflix because of it and perhaps raising the discs to 2 with Blockbuster.
However, the website is incredibly clunky in comparison to Netflix (Qwickster), no multiple queues!? Especially for games!? No separate queue for streaming movies so you can keep track of what you want to watch. Speaking of which, I cannot for the life of me how I get to free streaming online? All I see is a Pay as you go, On Demand service/section on the website. Is there actually no large, easily accessible streaming library you can access from online? This section is also incredibly lame in search capabilities.
Am I missing something, or is there site really this clunky in comparison with Netflix!?

Thanks!

Scott stated here that the 612 (and 922) won't support it until mid-November. Therefore, it generally is only working on the 722 and 722k (not sure about 622), so sorry, the agent is right (enough).

Thanks .... waiting impatiently here .... :)

When I choose one movie in Netflix, they shipped it the same day. I choose one on BB yesterday, and haven't shipped yet. :(
I think they will ship on Monday and will arrive like on Tuesday or Wednesday.
And it said that it was available with a lot of copies... ¬¬

MikeD-C05 said:
Same here. I noticed it still has to be downloaded and then sometimes it plays and then buffers. I have up to 20 mbps connection according to Time Warner cable, and Netflix runs brilliantly as well as HBO go over my google revue unit. So I know it isn't my internet connection. I tried to down load a Free movie out of the Plat pack and it caused my receiver to reboot three times over a 20 minute period. I finally pulled the plug and it came back with Block Buster pass and no internet connection. So I reset the turbo plug and it is now working . I'm trying once again to download movies and it is saving them to the hard drive for later viewing. So far I haven't seen any thing like instant Netflix streaming . And when it does play instantly it will play for a few minutes and then Buffering , buffering. I think Netflix has NOTHING to worry about in terms of Blockbuster being a threat to them.

I'm not certain that what you mentioned is what I think it is, but if so...

Turbo plug? Are you getting Internet to your receiver through your house's electrical wiring? I'd guess that is your problem. That likely isn't fast enough to support a continuous stream so it is defaulting to a download only viewing setup.

The discrepancy between this and Netflix on your Google TV is likely because you have your Revue set up on a wifi network and that provides much faster speeds than a home plug.

If the Revue is also connected via a turbo plug, then I have no idea why you'd be seeing such poor performance in one streaming service and not the other. I say this because I am streaming fine on my 722 here, no major delays, no stops for buffeting, no downloading to watch later needed.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I still can't access my blockbuster que through Dish Network, and I still don't have bb on my 722k, just the dish platinum..I have lived chatted 4 times today, and keep getting told its a problem with their website, and how NOONE has access to anything now, yet, I read all these posts here, and it seems like most folks have the BB online in their menus, and they can access their BB sue via the dish website without any problem..
What should I do to get this straightened out?

thank you!

just be patient and wait. it is a new service. you may have it tomorrow after it updates tonight.

Can someone who has this working on their 722k post some screen shots of the steps? I can't find any streaming movies like Netflix. Dish Platinum now says Blockbuster Movie Pass but when you select it it is still the same as it was a week ago or 6 months ago. After searching for HD movies it brings up many titles but only 4 or 5 at a time and painfully slow. Selecting any HD movie requires a wait of 40 plus minutes before able to play. I have a 12 Meg connection and Netflix and Vudu HDX play fine on my blue ray player. Software version L688. I have America 250 plus Platinum. What am I missing?

Thanks

For those who are having issues streaming HD I can tell you that it for sure is not system-wide. I streamed my first HD show last night and it started up in about 10 seconds or less (same as Netflix). The picture quality was very impressive on my 55" LED TV, and sound was great through my 5.1 Home Theater system.

One advantage over Netflix streaming is that after pausing the audio remained in perfect sync to the picture, which isn't normally the case with Netflix (in my experience). The fast forward, rewind, and skip ahead and back functions worked flawlessly also with no buffering required. It never buffered at all, except for the few seconds before start up.

FYI, I use Time Warner 10/1 internet, through a Netgear wireless-N gigabit router to the Dish Network wireless dongle on my 722 VIP receiver (which is one floor above the router a few rooms over). From a performance standpoint based on this one experience, the streaming itself is just as good as Netflix, better if you take into account the audio remains synced as mentioned before.

I will join the ranks of those who hope the interface gets a complete overhaul in the near future as clunky is perhaps an understatement. The website/queue functionality is also not up to par with Netflix but is sufficient for now. The way I see it, we're getting a great deal (those who were already paying Platinum customers, in particular) and are being used as "beta-testers" for this new system. I'm totally cool with that.

Regarding the discs...during football season I probably won't watch three out at a time hardly ever, especially considering I have several movies on my DVR, and a local store less than 5 minutes away. But to show thanks and support to Dish/Blockbuster, I upgraded to 3 out at a time anyway. As they say, consumers vote with their wallets...and I for one am voting positively for this new offering.

Half-assed is Dish Networks' middle name.....

and I've only been with them since 1996.

This is true. Consider the fact that having your OTA signal drop out will interrupt your satellite viewing. Or the mess that their remote access system is. Or their original VOD system.

Can someone who has this working on their 722k post some screen shots of the steps? I can't find any streaming movies like Netflix. Dish Platinum now says Blockbuster Movie Pass but when you select it it is still the same as it was a week ago or 6 months ago. After searching for HD movies it brings up many titles but only 4 or 5 at a time and painfully slow. Selecting any HD movie requires a wait of 40 plus minutes before able to play. I have a 12 Meg connection and Netflix and Vudu HDX play fine on my blue ray player. Software version L688. I have America 250 plus Platinum. What am I missing?

Thanks

I just tried the streaming service for the first time with a 5.76Mbps hardwired connection. Initially my wait was 9 plus hours, then 6 minutes, then movie started playing (HD). Quality was great on my 47" led, it did buffer once for about 5 seconds and resumed playing. I have watched only about 10 minutes of the movie but have no reason to believe it will not finish glitch free.
Remember my connection speed is probably barely adequate for hi def streaming. I'm pleased so far.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts