DISH / Blockbuster Announcement Discussion Thread!

Just saw a airing of the dish/blockbuster movie pass commercial on CBS at the end of the football game. It was the "western" one

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys!!

Did you get an email telling you there was a disc on the way from Blockbuster? I haven't received any notifications about my queue.

As a BB by mail sub for awhile now, I can tell you that they only ship Monday-Friday. You can set the speed of the que in your settings. BB takes at least a day if not two longer to get than NF.

That sounds promising but since you can't go into NetFlix's website and separate HD from SD programs like I can on my 722k through " Explore Movies" like I can with BlockBuster Movie Pass on my 722k I would guess somone would have to count them or just take NetFlix's word on it.:confused:
I can't believe I'm defending Netflix (I despise them), but you certainly can separate HD titles on their site as well as get a rough count. I'm glad you like Dish's clunky interface and anemic selection, but it's nowhere near as functional as Netflix. And this is coming from a guy who thinks Netflix's site stinks (I use InstantWatcher which I linked in my first post in order to get an exact HD title count). In any case, I'm happy Dish has at least gotten the ball rolling on streaming.

Cell phone companies don't send a tech out to your house to start your service.

TV service changes much more rapidly than cell- channels come and go all the time. I notice complaints when something is dropped, but have never heard anyone say they should pay more when a channel is added.

Cell phone companies don't send a tech out to your house to start your service.

TV service changes much more rapidly than cell- channels come and go all the time. I notice complaints when something is dropped, but have never heard anyone say they should pay more when a channel is added.
But they can charge more for it if they want to.
Lets look at it this way you go to your local favorite hamburg place joes hamburgers and order a cheeseburger. you get home and unwrap it there only cheese on it no ground beef you go back and say you forgot my beef.
Joe states I am sorry but my beef supplier wants to double my cost for ground beef so now i just put cheese on my cheeseburger sandwich but i have to charge the same to maintain my profit
that's the satellite TV businesses .

Lets look at it this way you go to your local favorite hamburg place joes hamburgers and order a cheeseburger. you get home and unwrap it there only cheese on it no ground beef you go back and say you forgot my beef.
Joe states I am sorry but my beef supplier wants to double my cost for ground beef so now i just put cheese on my cheeseburger sandwich but i have to charge the same to maintain my profit

Not it at all, because you are buying a service, I'm sure there are a couple parts of the contract that address pricing and channel availability that would be perfect to quote right now if someone cared enough to do so.

If you think the DISH service should be the same for the duration of your contract you never had the correct expectations to begin with... and I'm not sure that's DISH's fault really.

Not it at all, because you are buying a service, I'm sure there are a couple parts of the contract that address pricing and channel availability that would be perfect to quote right now if someone cared enough to do so.

If you think the DISH service should be the same for the duration of your contract you never had the correct expectations to begin with... and I'm not sure that's DISH's fault really.
First its not pointed at dish all satellite services operates that way.
second I deal with many contracted service's every day and I do expect them to do what i contract them to do or the contract is considered broken and that was the point,

It is not the same thing.. You are getting a service not a product..

First its not pointed at dish all satellite services operates that way.
second I deal with many contracted service's every day and I do expect them to do what i contract them to do or the contract is considered broken and that was the point,

Do you ignore the terms of the contracts of those services too... ? If you're trying to wax philosophic about ETFs and the variability of pricing and programming I'm sure there are better threads to do it in. You simply had incorrect expectations going into your service, and still have them it seems.

As a BB by mail sub for awhile now, I can tell you that they only ship Monday-Friday. You can set the speed of the que in your settings. BB takes at least a day if not two longer to get than NF.

All true. The irritating thing is that although they "have" new releases right away you may be waiting a long time before they show as available in your que. I've had BB for about 6 weeks and had NF for several years.

Ed

I have seen new promotions come and go for years between Dish, Direct and cable companies and the people that jump on them instantly always have complaint, ALWAYS! Not one thing from any post on here surprises me. There are always issues during transitions, that's why I haven't signed up yet. There is no hurry. Just wait for things to settle and work themselves out. Way too much overreacting as usual. I still think it is going to be a great service.

I have seen new promotions come and go for years between Dish, Direct and cable companies and the people that jump on them instantly always have complaint, ALWAYS! Not one thing from any post on here surprises me. There are always issues during transitions, that's why I haven't signed up yet. There is no hurry. Just wait for things to settle and work themselves out. Way too much overreacting as usual. I still think it is going to be a great service.

Very true. My feelings exactly.

It's all about expectations and a sense of entitlement.

My first BlockBuster movie shipped. Fast Five [Blu-ray] (2011) Shipped 10/3. Est Arrival 10/5. If I can get all movie in a couple of days, no need to ever go back to Netflix. 1 or 2 movies a week and I'm happy.

That sounds promising but since you can't go into NetFlix's website and separate HD from SD programs like I can on my 722k through " Explore Movies" like I can with BlockBuster Movie Pass on my 722k I would guess somone would have to count them or just take NetFlix's word on it.:confused:

I can't believe I'm defending Netflix (I despise them), but you certainly can separate HD titles on their site as well as get a rough count. I'm glad you like Dish's clunky interface and anemic selection, but it's nowhere near as functional as Netflix. And this is coming from a guy who thinks Netflix's site stinks (I use InstantWatcher which I linked in my first post in order to get an exact HD title count). In any case, I'm happy Dish has at least gotten the ball rolling on streaming.

All I stated was with Dish/BlockBuster I can separate HD from SD in Explore Movies on my 722k.I still cannot find that feature at NetFlix where you can do that?.:confused:

With that said NetFlix streaming is instant,Dish/BlockBuster is not,Adaptive streaming ain't adapting.This coming from a company that cannot design an easy on/off CC button on their receivers.Why am I not surprised?.:rant:

And with both services there are several good reasons why I maintain an extensive collection of DVDs and Blurays.:)

So the only benefit for me will be the service is included with the Platinum channels otherwise I would need to cancel this experiment.

One other thought, I think Dish has saved Platinum, at least at my home. I was pondering about getting rid of it, as the movie channels do get repetitive after a while. With the existence of TNT, FX, USA, and the others, watching movies is much easier these days that a decade plus ago. You don't need HBO to see much of anything. Most premium channels survive these days because of Original Programming and Platinum movie channels have very little original programming. So with the addition of BBMP, this gives me a strong reason to stick with it.
My first BlockBuster movie shipped. Fast Five [Blu-ray] (2011) Shipped 10/3. Est Arrival 10/5. If I can get all movie in a couple of days, no need to ever go back to Netflix. 1 or 2 movies a week and I'm happy.
Got an email saying my Blu-Ray was shipped and would arrive on Thursday. That seems to be a while, not sure why it'd take three days to arrive. Regardless... for "free", I can wait.

Right now, BBMP will not replace Netflix (just streaming) at our home because there is no streaming from anything in Blockbuster's library, so it is apples to oranges, for at least now. Definitely saving money, as I'd be paying around $10 to $14 to stream and get blu-ray from Netflix.

All I stated was with Dish/BlockBuster I can separate HD from SD in Explore Movies on my 722k.I still cannot find that feature at NetFlix where you can do that?.:confused:
Go to Watch Instantly - Genres - HD. Or better yet, use InstantWatcher.com and choose the HD Only filter in any or all categories.

All true. The irritating thing is that although they "have" new releases right away you may be waiting a long time before they show as available in your que. I've had BB for about 6 weeks and had NF for several years.

Ed

I have had Netflix for several years and I have also used Blockbuster by mail for about 6 months. I think Blockbuster and Netflix are both pretty comparable with shipping out new releases. Both companies usually don't have enough disks to get the big name releases out to everyone who wants them the first week or so they are available. The difference is that blockbuster has them available a month before Netflix.

Another difference is that when I would mail Netflix a disk they would receive it the next day and then I would always receive my next disk the day after that. Blockbuster almost always takes 1 extra day for me. Both companies have their distribution center in the same city which is about an hour drive away from me.

I don't even try to get new releases by mail most of the time. I have a Blockbuster store about a mile from my office and I have found that I can usually get any bluray I want in the store even the day they come out. The in store exchanges are the best part about Blockbuster service. The extra day turnaround for Blockbuster is wiped out if you can conveniently use in store exchanges. If I didn't have a blockbuster store near me I would probably still be using Netflix instead.

I have had Netflix for several years and I have also used Blockbuster by mail for about 6 months. I think Blockbuster and Netflix are both pretty comparable with shipping out new releases. Both companies usually don't have enough disks to get the big name releases out to everyone who wants them the first week or so they are available. The difference is that blockbuster has them available a month before Netflix.

Another difference is that when I would mail Netflix a disk they would receive it the next day and then I would always receive my next disk the day after that. Blockbuster almost always takes 1 extra day for me. Both companies have their distribution center in the same city which is about an hour drive away from me.

I don't even try to get new releases by mail most of the time. I have a Blockbuster store about a mile from my office and I have found that I can usually get any bluray I want in the store even the day they come out. The in store exchanges are the best part about Blockbuster service. The extra day turnaround for Blockbuster is wiped out if you can conveniently use in store exchanges. If I didn't have a blockbuster store near me I would probably still be using Netflix instead.

Pretty much my experience exactly. Both NF and BB ar located in Lansing, probably where yours are shipped from as well. The closest BB store to me is in Swatz Creek and I've only exchanged there once because it's about a half-hour each way. If you could just swap the disc you received by mail at the store and then mail back the one you picked up it would be nice but of course that's not the case. Guess I can't complain too much since I was given it for free and am a Platium sub anyway...........

Ed

Got an email saying my Blu-Ray was shipped and would arrive on Thursday. That seems to be a while, not sure why it'd take three days to arrive. Regardless... for "free", I can wait.

Depends on how your account is set up. You can get speed, where they send a dvd in your que as soon as one is available, or you can choose to have the first title in your que sent when available. If you choose speed, the BB sytem will find the one first available on your list. That may involve coming from a distribution center three days away or one nearby that takes overnite. As I ststed earlier, BB only ships Monday-Friday. The shortest time I've had delivery is overnite, the longest four days.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)