DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

actually, I just demonstrated that it wasn't. Locals have been an issue with all the cable and sat companies so that can't be held against Dish.

So FX for a bit then TWC for an even shorter time and now AMC with a trio of what may have been good but are now fallen channels. That is it for dropped national channels.

I wouldn't dismiss the loss of FX 'for a bit' so casually. They were dropped for 6 weeks in the middle of Sons of Anarchy'. It sucked.

Just got this in the mail.

These guys at dish are shrewd!

(Charlies thought process) Let me throw a Roku player at
them..They will forget in a minute I pulled a bunch of channels right from underneath them.

We pulled the Voom suite years ago, almost no customer churn.
Ill bet almost no one cancels with a couple of left over Rainbow channels missing.
Plus they have a Roku (get this, a refurbished one!) Suckers...

Not sure I'm to far off on this...lol

Well at the very least I think there was some planning go on with the quick give promotion of the roku right after the channels were pulled off

No crap they thought this out. They'd be stupid to think one of the mainstay channels that is available on the basic of tiers of virtually every cable system across America wouldn't turn some heads and stomachs. With that said, it doesn't mean that I think they are wrong for the way they are handling this. They could of told us the channels are gone, now piss off.

Well, I still pay my $8 Netflix for snail mail disks, so I can get my three shows I watch on AMC that way. But, I've been eyeing this for awhile and this has been one shoddy business practice for customers. I'm starting to think, no matter what they do, it'll be Charter for me, once my contracts up. Only reason I didn't when I moved here was Charter still had no NFL stations, and that's been resolved. I'm pretty tired of the Dish BS....and Charter I can get in every room of my house, MUCH cheaper.

Well, I still pay my $8 Netflix for snail mail disks, so I can get my three shows I watch on AMC that way. But, I've been eyeing this for awhile and this has been one shoddy business practice for customers. I'm starting to think, no matter what they do, it'll be Charter for me, once my contracts up. Only reason I didn't when I moved here was Charter still had no NFL stations, and that's been resolved. I'm pretty tired of the Dish BS....and Charter I can get in every room of my house, MUCH cheaper.

Same here. TWC made us a hell of an offer, but they do not carry NFL network or RedZone!

Plus they have a Roku (get this, a refurbished one!) Suckers...

Not sure I'm to far off on this...lol

Very far off. How is this making people suckers? Dish is correct, you just said what many of us have been saying but some don't want to hear it. People will not leave over this. (Obviously I mean any meaningful number) But people do want something in return which is very understandable, so Dish obliged. Nothing was pulled over on anyone, wanting something for losing channels so few actually watched on a regular basis, and given a way to still watch, rather than go through a switch makes sense. How in the world is that diabolical or making us a sucker?
And you are so far off that it's humorous if you think refurbished means less. There are always exceptions, but in general refurbished is at least as good as new, in some cases better because there was a change since production. Any idea how may refurbished receivers are installed everyday by every cable/satellite company?

1918006.jpgcrying-baby.png

I wouldn't dismiss the loss of FX 'for a bit' so casually. They were dropped for 6 weeks in the middle of Sons of Anarchy'. It sucked.
Wasn't dismissing it, I was counting it. It was one of the dropping incidents. The way people speak, you'd swear Dish has dropped several channels each year over the last 6 or 7 years. That doesn't mean you have to like that AMC was dropped, but rather it is a rebuttal to another poster's comment about he was tired of Dish's propensity to drop channels.

OK but now I have to watch these shows on my 12" laptop screen and before I could watch them on one of my 42" HD TV's.
And presuming you have an RGB output on the laptop (very likely) and an RGB input on your HDTV (likely), you can still watch your AMC program on the TV, via the Internet after paying a few bucks for a RGB cable at Amazon.

Tampa8 said:
Very far off. How is this making people suckers? Dish is correct, you just said what many of us have been saying but some don't want to hear it. People will not leave over this. (Obviously I mean any meaningful number) But people do want something in return which is very understandable, so Dish obliged. Nothing was pulled over on anyone, wanting something for losing channels so few actually watched on a regular basis, and given a way to still watch, rather than go through a switch makes sense. How in the world is that diabolical or making us a sucker?
And you are so far off that it's humorous if you think refurbished means less. There are always exceptions, but in general refurbished is at least as good as new, in some cases better because there was a change since production. Any idea how may refurbished receivers are installed everyday by every cable/satellite company?

Sorry Tampa.
I'm actually on the money.
Truth is that the Roku unit which I like
Is being used as a pacifier to some degree.
Shrewd and smart move on dishes part.
Yes, you get a free unit. Sounds good right?
Not so much. Every time you want to catch Mad Men or any AMC program you have to pay upwards of 2.99 or more. Not such a bargain
When you watch a whole seasons worth.
My take is once again channels, valued channels
Have been removed. It's possible that dish will do this again and steer you towards the Roku unit.
I can see upcoming contract disputes happening and dish will pull them. Then dish will
say you can watch your valued programming on Roku.

Heres my take, I love the dish equipment. Im not opposed to having more apps
on our Hoppers. Yes, even put the Roku on it.

However, I don't want my basic channels or even premiums
to be pushed towards a Roku or any other device.
The Roku is great for extra programming. International
channels that you can't get elsewhere. Its an add on device.

I want my Hopper to be used for everything. One stop shopping.
Great picture, great sound and crazy new feature Auto Hop!

Last edited:
.and Charter I can get in every room of my house, MUCH cheaper.

Not if you mean HD, or DVR, not by a long shot. I am in a Charter Cable area. Can you can prove me wrong with a link to Charter? First Room with DVR service is $25, that's right $25. Dish is $6 (non Hopper) Three rooms is $35, two tuners each room. Dish with three tuners each room (OTA), using a VIP 612 is $36. Virtually the same cost, but much better equipment that does more with Dish.

Selected Package
TV Select
• HD TV

Additional Services
• DVR Services
$19.99
Equipment
• Charter Cable Modem
$0.00
• 1 DVR Box
$5.00
Installation:
$19.99
For HD only it's $15 for three rooms with Charter, using a VIP211K with Dish it's $14. How is it much cheaper?? And Dish package prices are very much less and no I do not include promotions because the same applies to someone coming from Charter to Dish with promotions.

Not happy and wanting to switch is fine, but you are going to have show me where it's "much" less with cable. Like the person who posted Fios first DVR is free. Call it whatever you want the first room is $16.99 with the cable card, Dish is $6.

I've seen promos for Charter recently that say 4 DVR's for 19.99

Get Charter DVR service on up to 4 TVs in your home for only $19.99/mo – up to 780 hours of storage

Not to mention, I'm paying way too much for high speed net, now, also, and can get a reasonable bundle offer with Charter. I can't get a good DSL signal in my area, for some odd reason, so am stuck with either Uverse, which I'm using, or Charter. So, that's a big factor, too.

I don't care much about DVR in multiple rooms. But, I do want cable service in more than two rooms. I can even handle just having DVR in one room still:)

Charter is getting ready if you bundle everything together your getting the phone for 1.00 a month to try and catch up in business with Direct and Dish is what a friend of my dad is telling him his friend works for Charter.Charter sucks for phone imo internet kicks butt tv sucks imo

whitewolf8214 said:
Charter is getting ready if you bundle everything together your getting the phone for 1.00 a month to try and catch up in business with Direct and Dish is what a friend of my dad is telling him his friend works for Charter.Charter sucks for phone imo internet kicks butt tv sucks imo

With cable bundles, just be sure as with all
Promos across the board see what it's going to cost after the promo bundle. As some o my Comcast neighbors inform me off. And I can also say that out local comcast is the un disputed king of fees

Not so much. Every time you want to catch Mad Men or any AMC program you have to pay upwards of 2.99 or more. Not such a bargain
When you watch a whole seasons worth.

I think less on Amazon, but your point is correct. But Dish is paying at least most people to do that. After that, if there even is a series after next year, most likely many will be out of contract, and if AMC is that important they can switch with no penalties. Others won't care, and got a Roku in the deal. I'm not actually defending dropping a channel, it would be better if Dish did not, of course. But I look around, carefully go through Charter Cable, Uverse, Fios, Brighthouse, and Direct TV, (all available in the places I live) and there is no question Dish is less expensive, generally better DVR's, and generally as much or more HD. Dish has other things that make a difference for me, superstations, AAD, Euronews, the list goes on. So like with any service, point is you make choices. You are less likely to lose a channel with Direct TV at least for very long. But I can't get what I want with them. (Though they would be my next choice) And they are somewhat higher. Cable is just plain more expensive and except for FIOS picture for the others I mentioned just not as good. But Fios dropped around four channels at least that I know of, I posted them earlier somewhere. So there is not a guarantee channels won't be dropped.

I do not see it as making anyone a sucker or some shrewd move, it's the business model Dish is using, they will not overpay or take channels they really do not want to pay for (already proved this with Fuse and MSG) but that means possibly losing a channel. Could they go too far? Sure, but lets reverse that, has cable (at the very least some cable) gone too far in prices by not challenging providers? Absolutely.

I've seen promos for Charter recently that say 4 DVR's for 19.99

Get Charter DVR service on up to 4 TVs in your home for only $19.99/mo – up to 780 hours of storage

Very misleading, that's the DVR service charge for up to four rooms, each box is $5 more including the first room. That is exactly the promo I used above, and see the charges. It really is $25 for the first room. We have gone through this before, someone posting Charter only gets $5 for an additional DVR box. That completly ignores the $19.99 tacked on to that and that the first room also pays that $5.

Bundling will not change those fees. In the case of Charter, bundling lowers fees for the internet more than it does for the TV package, but I can't say that in all cases because I see so many different promos from each carrier.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)