DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
No need for Dish to reply with a comment like that (assuming it's true) about quality of programming and placement. It is why even those of us who agree future cost of AMC is a real issue, we agree it is driven by the lawsuit.

The new response adds a different wrinkle, one that Dish has fought before. Sounds like Dish does not want one of, or some of IFC, Sundance, WE. And AMC is requiring all or none. Very possible that was the proposal from Dish - we can talk about an increase for AMC, but want to drop other channels and not incurr that cost.

Oh it's definitely true. Here is another similarly unprofessional version of that response. This was posted 27 minutes ago as a response to a facebook comment.

"You can continue to watch your favorite programming on AMC (ch9609), WEtv (ch9608) and IFC (ch9607) for the time being. We have relocated these channels to be in a channel location that is more reflective of the quality of programming.

Regarding the Channel numbers where AMC, IFC and WEtv were previously located you will now find great programming from HDNet (ch130/392), indie plex (ch393), Style (128/391). ~Raymond G"

Some on FB, just posted the following jpg.

DISHemail.jpg

chutzpah.

The "rallying cry" is coming from AMC via messages on FB to anyone that's "liked" Mad Men, Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, etc. Each of those is pushing people to use their provided link to complain to Dish and some would likely then also have "liked" Dish and simply "hop" over there ( :) ) to voice their displeasure.

So how many of those people that AMC is pushing to complain are actually Dish customers?

So how many of those people that AMC is pushing to complain are actually Dish customers?

Why would a Directv or cable customer go out of their way to tell Dish to keep AMC? Maybe some small fraction are cable or Directv customers but I don't buy into this conspiracy theory. Let's look at the simplest solution here. Most people asking Dish to keep the AMC channels are probably going to be Dish customers.

This is nuts. And I just bought a new 722k like 8 months ago. At the same time I upgraded an old leased 622 so I'd have a 722k in both my TV rooms. Not sure if that put me under a new contract or not. But it doesn't matter. The new season of Breaking Bad starts July 15. If this isn't resolved well before then I'll very sadly have to switch to Direct. I'm paying over $200 per month right now so the bite from breaking a contract can't be too bad.

Just in case anyone thinks otherwise, I'm a big fan of Dish and have been since the day I did my own install maybe 14 years ago. I'm not any kind of handyman so I just ended up running coax through the window. It was about the coolest thing I could have imagined at the time. I set up my own satellite dish and now I'm getting TV from outer space! And I can bring all this stuff with me in my RV when I go on road trips! Flying cars and floating cities!

So, if I have to switch it will make me very sad. But I'll do it. It'll be like putting down a beloved pet that just can't walk anymore. You don't want to do it. You do it because you have to. And it breaks your heart.

Dish Moderators are now responding to the complaints on Facebook with this canned response.

"Dish Network You can continue to watch your favorite programming on AMC (ch9609) and in HD on (ch9610) for the time being. We have relocated these channels to be in a channel location that is more reflective of the quality of programming.-Cheri T. "

The sheer undisguised pettiness that Dish is showing with these types of comments and this dispute in general is kind of amusing, in it's own sort of way. I can afford to sort of laugh at it a little because I don't watch AMC, but for people that do, it must almost feel that Dish is taunting them, which is pretty classless on Dish's part. It's another thing to add to the list of things that make me question whether Dish is the type of company I want to deal with long-term. Today, it's AMC, tomorrow it might be something I care about.

And I can't help but feel like Dish is relying on the fact that many of it's customers are under contract to restrain them from leaving. They're basically saying "Hey, we've got you, we can get rid of whatever channels or programming we want, charge you any fees we want, fail to pick up whatever new stuff comes down the pike, say whatever obnoxious thing we want, and you've still got to pay your bill every month no matter. Either that, or you can pay us several hundred dollars to quit. Oh, you don't have several hundred dollars or don't want to pay us a large lump sum for nothing? Too bad then.". The whole industry is kind of developing a similar problem. With cable, it used to be not that you had a contract, but that there used not to be competition, and now that they have competition, they're adding contracts.

People who really feel like television is an important thing to have are stuck with a lot of poor choices and providers that tend to exploit the fact that they have people who are not going to cut the cord. The government really needs to step in and start applying heavy regulation to this industry. Things have gotten pretty ridiculous.

If they feel those channels are poor quality why are the shopping channels and infomericals on lower numbered channels?

Good point.

Well, I just briefed my Commander in Chief that we might be loosing the WE channel and she was not happy. She loves the shows Bridezillas, My Fair Wedding with David Tutera, Joan & Melissa, and also she wants to watch the new show Kendra on Top. She is pissed and wants us to go back to cable. Cable also has the Howard Stern TV show that she likes and Dish TV does not have. I also will miss on the AMC channel The Rifleman series every Saturday morning. I really like Dish TV and my DVRs and installed most of our satellite system my dam self. I sure don't want to go back to cable or switch to Direct. But, when the Commander speaks, I have to listen. I am really disappointed.

Why would a Directv or cable customer go out of their way to tell Dish to keep AMC? Maybe some small fraction are cable or Directv customers but I don't buy into this conspiracy theory. Let's look at the simplest solution here. Most people asking Dish to keep the AMC channels are probably going to be Dish customers.

I looked at the Keep AMC Facebook postings last night and it was filled with cable and other customers complaining about it. I don't believe in the conspiracy theory either, but it is common that you get a bunch of people that just want to complain whether it involves them or not.

So I went on Dish Networks website, I don't see AMC, IFC,or WE in their line up card or program offering. Is this the normal process, or is dish cutting them tonight?

So I went on Dish Networks website, I don't see AMC, IFC,or WE in their line up card or program offering. Is this the normal process, or is dish cutting them tonight?
Not a normal process. Usually they keep advertizing channels on their website long after they have already removed them. :D

Not a normal process. Usually they keep advertizing channels on their website long after they have already removed them. :D
Thats funny!

This is kindof scary fro some dish subs.
But I imagin it would only take a few minuets to add them back to line up if a deal was reached, I thought Dish had untill the end of June. I don't get why are they doing this now?

Thats funny!

But I imagin it would only take a few minuets to add them back to line up if a deal was reached, I thought Dish had untill the end of June. I don't get why are they doing this now?

AMC apparently started running scrolls last night to try and pressure Dish, so Dish is returning the favor by moving the channels to a less favorable position in the lineup. Just a multi million dollar chess game. ;)

Thats funny!

They (DISH) are ratcheting up the war on their side . They are pushing the channels out of the low number range to areas that no one watches anyway. This will further push the numbers down on those who watch AMC ,WE ,IFC channels. It is a bargaining chip to be used against Cablevison. As far as I'm concerned if DISH does drop these channels for good , then I want a credit on my programming pack. If not, I want new channels in place of them, and I don't mean existing channels dropped down to a lower pack , unless it is BBC America. Then I would only need top 120 . I can watch Mad Men and Walking Dead on Netflix next year or pay to see them per episode. I don't watch AMC for anything else. I really don't watch WE or IFC channels either.

Dropping AMC new thread

I know there's a thread about DISH dropping AMC. That thread was getting long to follow.

I'm starting this one because for the first time, I'm now getting interruptive crawls on the screen that says DISH is going to drop AMC!

I called DISH (and was a bit too adversarial) to voice my opposition. DISH rep claimed no knowledge of dropping AMC.

My contention is that DISH is dropping AMC and related. DISH already dropped MSG when I specifically signed my parents up for that station a few years ago (check your call recordings).

In addition, for me here in Hawaii, I was able to receive Dodgers BB and Kings hockey on FSWP last year and this year both are blacked out (even though cable gets these teams in this Hawaii region).

Besides my rant, I have to say that over the past 15 years or so of my subscription to DISH, I always recommended DISH to friends. I truly believe I can no longer offer my wholehearted support .

Too bad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)