DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

I hate to disrupt the I-got-a-free-roku thread. But...

I wonder why ATT was able to come to terms with the evil, greedy, customer-hating AMC Networks, and relatively quickly, at that? Plus, they were able to leave the channel up past the deadline, while negotiating with those monsters. (And, leave it at the normal channel number, too.)

Odd that Dish wasn't able to make any of that happen. Any thoughts?

Because this is E* being vindictive since they are losing the Voom lawsuit and this is payback. I really wished I didn't have all this archived content on a bunch of EHDs or I'd be on Verizon Fios already..... The pain is getting higher though.... Lost SNY, MSG, AMC, IFC, ESPNews HD..... I'm badmouthing dozens of people to stay away from Dish now. I'm surprised D* isn't slamming them with ads about this yet to counter all those bait and switch ads that E* has been running against D*....

Because this is E* being vindictive since they are losing the Voom lawsuit and this is payback. I really wished I didn't have all this archived content on a bunch of EHDs or I'd be on Verizon Fios already..... The pain is getting higher though.... Lost SNY, MSG, AMC, IFC, ESPNews HD..... I'm badmouthing dozens of people to stay away from Dish now. I'm surprised D* isn't slamming them with ads about this yet to counter all those bait and switch ads that E* has been running against D*....

amen

AVMe said:
It is nice that Dish is offering a free Roku 2 XD streaming player but there is one enormous show-stopper problem with Roku for me...it does not have a digital audio output so I cannot connect it to my home theater audio system. Roku has an HDMI output which is fine if your audio home theater preamp/receiver has HDMI inputs but mine does not. Roku also has an analog audio output but you need digital audio (Toslink or coax) for DD 5.1 if you do not have HDMI inputs. I can't imagine why Roku designed their players without digital audio output.

Space and price.

I was able to get the Roku and either $35 credit or $10 month for 12 months. Took the 12 months.

I am also currently getting $10 month off, so looks like you can get both.

I really wished I didn't have all this archived content on a bunch of EHDs or I'd be on Verizon Fios already..... The pain is getting higher though.... Lost SNY, MSG, AMC, IFC, ESPNews HD

Why not drop down to the lowest Dish package with one receiver so that you can access the content on the EHDs and pick up Fios as your primary TV source?

Couldn't get the free Roku, but got $10/mo for 12 months, 6 free movie passes, and 3 months of free Blockbuster. I really didn't think I needed the Roku since I have a 2012 smart Panasonic Plasma that's already connected to the internet. She said I didn't qualify for the free Roku, probably because I'm still under contract.

Couldn't get the free Roku, but got $10/mo for 12 months, 6 free movie passes, and 3 months of free Blockbuster. I really didn't think I needed the Roku since I have a 2012 smart Panasonic Plasma that's already connected to the internet. She said I didn't qualify for the free Roku, probably because I'm still under contract.

This makes no sense to me. It is costing them more with doing the 10/mo for 12 months, 6 free movie passes, and 3 months of BB@Home than a Roku would....

I originally stated that if FiOS were available in my area, I'd switch from Dish in a heartbeat. Well, after going to the FiOS website and using my parents' address (who does have FiOS available), I determined I could get both 25/25 internet and a FiOS TV package similar to AT250 for $120/month (that's not including initial discounts, to compare apples to apples). Thought it was a much better deal than what I am paying now, until I set up the 2-TV DVR configuration similar to what I have now...$20/mo for the main DVR, and $10/mo for the STB that would access the main DVR...$30/mo in fees for 2 TVs! And I thought Dish was fee crazy. Adding the fees brought the total to $150/mo, which isn't less than what I am paying now for Dish and Comcast internet.

I originally stated that if FiOS were available in my area, I'd switch from Dish in a heartbeat. Well, after going to the FiOS website and using my parents' address (who does have FiOS available), I determined I could get both 25/25 internet and a FiOS TV package similar to AT250 for $120/month (that's not including initial discounts, to compare apples to apples). Thought it was a much better deal than what I am paying now, until I set up the 2-TV DVR configuration similar to what I have now...$20/mo for the main DVR, and $10/mo for the STB that would access the main DVR...$30/mo in fees for 2 TVs! And I thought Dish was fee crazy. Adding the fees brought the total to $150/mo, which isn't less than what I am paying now for Dish and Comcast internet.

If you went the FiOS way you would be better off getting a Tivo and a cablecard for FiOS.

Still, the upfront lifetime TiVo cost, or the $20 monthly TiVo service is nothing to sneeze at. Doing a lifetime Tivo service is just as bad as locking in to a 2-year commitment, actually, it's more than 2 years.

Still, the upfront lifetime TiVo cost, or the $20 monthly TiVo service is nothing to sneeze at. Doing a lifetime Tivo service is just as bad as locking in to a 2-year commitment, actually, it's more than 2 years.

If you have OTA locals, long term the TiVo lifetime could be quite nice. You can always go down to just OTA and internet video. Amazon VOD can download to the TiVo so even if you have a slow internet connection, you can download overnight (you can set it up to automatically download new episodes) and then watch in HD without buffering issues.

Agreed, and you have to consider the life of the unit. We have two OLD tivos that we repaired a couple of times. They still work fine.

We did not get lifetime on the TivoHD since we were unsure we would stick with it. Glad we didn't because the premiere came out shortly after and it is a much nicer unit.

Technology- it gets obsolete fast.

AND they haven't even talked to AMC since May.

I don't mind the 10 buck-a-month discount for a year. Maybe they are running out of refurbed Rokus. (I have one anyway) $120 will pay for a few Amazon downloads a month.
I was on hold on chat for 55 min. waiting for a Customer Loyalty agent. Gave me time to assemble a shelving system, as a honey-do, while waiting :)

The roku will come on handy to watch mad men down the road as that was the only show I watched on AMC, though for those who watched quite a bit of AMC I can see why you would be frustrated especially since it does not appear that AMC will be back anytime soon

They do but not what is being determined, it's the wired ethernet that is in question.

Huh? OK. I'll restate it more clearly, the Roku 2 XD has only a wireless connection. The older Roku XD had two ways to access the internet, a wireless connection or using a 'wired' ethernet connection. Sorry, for any confusion.

The roku will come on handy to watch mad men down the road as that was the only show I watched on AMC, though for those who watched quite a bit of AMC I can see why you would be frustrated especially since it does not appear that AMC will be back anytime soon

OH, yes.. unless AMC gets a sudden wake up call, I don't expect them back anytime soon. You would think their sponsors would be beating them about the head & shoulders.
It would seem, based on the popularity (niche or not) of Mad Men, TWD, Breaking Bad, etc. some will eventually show up on other networks as reruns, if they haven't already.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts