Dish Network News

I don't know why you quoted me since I never called the HD entry level package useless. All I said is that it will be a few channels.

This is what I said:
"The HD entry level package is gonna be 3 or 4 channels just like mentioned above."

Apologies Randall,

When you said "just like mentioned above", I thought you were supporting BOTH his statements of "3-4" AND "useless".

Now I understand you were supporting ONLY his "3-4".

My guess:
$7 - HD Enabling (OTA ATSC Tuner, HD RSN Where Available, HD Locals Where Available, and HD Premiums If Subscribed)
$10 - HD Basic (HD versions of SD channels in your AT programming package along with HDNet and HD Enabling channels)
$15 - HD Plus (Voom channels and HDNet Movies plus HD Basic/HD Enabling channels)

It looks alot like the old Dish HD MPEG2 structure, the current DirecTV situation and what many cable companies would provide based on your regular programming package (i.e. you need Digital Cable to get certain HD channels while Regular Cable gets you certain HD channels and Basic Cable gets you your local HD channels only even if you spend the $5-7 a month to rent the HD cable box).

I cannot see how Dish will keep an HD package of $20 unless they have something up their sleeve concerning additional HD channels.

"My guess:
$7 - HD Enabling (OTA ATSC Tuner, HD RSN Where Available, HD Locals Where Available, and HD Premiums If Subscribed)
$10 - HD Basic (HD versions of SD channels in your AT programming package along with HDNet and HD Enabling channels)
$15 - HD Plus (Voom channels and HDNet Movies plus HD Basic/HD Enabling channels)"

I like this one except that we will not get the HD RSN under the $7 package. E* pays extra for the RSNs and they have to pass the cost to the customers. Well, at least that's what they always tell us. :)

Comcast requires a contract for their triple-play deals too and they have much less HD programming in any markets that I've seen, especially in this region.

As far as I know E* is merely mimicking D*'s 2 year contracts. Cell contracts are also 2 years. I think the problem that I don't like is I don't think you can just pay the 50$ fee to get around this contract requirement (like you can as a new act).

Actually you can...no contract deal is $50 activation, period.

I'm so glad I did my DIU's with the 18-month commit.

I'm Hoping that Austin Locals come in HD during 2008. I also hope Dish makes a deal with LIN, since our NBC is a Lin property (KXAN-TV/DT).

LER

Why do you want to go back to paying $5 month for locals (that excludes PBS and CW) that will be HD-lite when powered rabbit ears work just fine from Round Rock?

Anyone that thinks the $10/mo won't include the Voom channels is delusional. Dish will force HD people not paying the basic $6/mo enabling fee to get those.

I would think Discovery Theater/Uni/HDNet/MHD and other 24/7 would be targeted for moving to the $20 tier and leave Voom, the nationals in their AT tier and locals (if any) in the $10/mo. tier.

This is all speculation until we get details from Dish.

how about all the HD channels for one price, and a lower price than $20, or welcome back D*

They will simply take the least expensive HD channels and add in a few primaries like ESPN, HDNet, ect for the $10 package,then they'll add everything else on the $15 package...except...THE DREADED VOOM CHANNELS...and just to piss us off, every future channel will be put on the new and improved $20 package...no way to make everybody happy while squeezing out every last penny of profit. Sorry, six more weeks of winter...

I hope they do something good ,because I just dropped most of my D* service, including HD. I just upgraded back to the top 250 with HD pack with E* D* has great HD options but their Premium line up sucks.I like HD but,I'd be happy with just locals IMO in HD. I hope E* continues to have many options.

I saw this thread and thought great E* is bringing back Dish Network News just to find another thread on the upcoming HD packages.

I hope they do something good ,because I just dropped most of my D* service, including HD. I just upgraded back to the top 250 with HD pack with E* D* has great HD options but their Premium line up sucks.I like HD but,I'd be happy with just locals IMO in HD. I hope E* continues to have many options.

I've toyed with going to D*, but just cant make it work equipment-wise, and i'm one of the 7 people that watch Voom a bunch.

I got the distinct impression during the summer that you were pretty unhappy with E*. Is/was that true? I'm curious about why you're ramping up on E* and ramping down on D*. Figure your answer might help me put the decision about what to do to rest for a while. thanks.

What would be truely nice would be the $5 increase in AEP made AEP now include the basic HD package (i.e. the HD version of channels in AEP). Then if the second HD package was $10, AEP+HD would end up being $5 cheaper next year for everything.

But, knowing Dish it will be new AEP plus $30 to get what we had this year.

Dish Network realized that once the customer's contract is over, they cancel and go with a competetor's deal. If they are getting a lot of people cancelling early then they will be more likely to collect a cancellation fee since they will have to commit for a longer period of time. I am not surprised that it has went to a two year contract. They want to recoup their investment in the customer.

This may also cause some people to think twice about upgrading instead of switching providers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts